• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

Presents better than the grade, there's so much going on it's hard to catch flaws.  Ken has a nicer one, I believe.  I forgot your sis was an OO romance collector, that's very cool.  Funny how Sha never got into romance at all, but that's just stereotyping on my part.

I couldn't get near the Savannahs.  $150-$350 a book, over and over.  That's when it became clear to me that I couldn't compete anymore; between the Crippens and Crowleys and just filling in for 3000+ books, I was tapped out, only half way through to the magic number - 5,846 issues.  That's the Romance Universe, according to me (with an assist from Michelle Nolan of course).

Just Michelle.  Pushy, that one.

Too bad you couldn't have seen it all, back in the day, Ron.  Wall to wall romance, it blew the mind.  Looking back it kind of staggers me, now.  When I took my wife back to my place after our third date, to see my comics of course, she was speechless at first.  Then she calmly told me, "My girlfriend knows where I am, I told her we were coming here after dinner.  Just sayin."   What the what?  Really, that strange?  Guess so.  Not the amount of books - but romance.

IMG_6864_zpsxgeacng6.jpg

Now she grades tighter than me.  "In what universe does that book get an 8.0?  Those creases break color!" Everyone's a CGC grader.  lol

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

I could go on and on about DC.  (All romance, actually)  Second to Charlton (!), in terms of overall output over the years - 932 issues.  The Savannah ped is very comprehensive, but for romance, only kicked in starting about 1962 or so.

Erik Estrada really stood out for me, too

GirlsLove141fc100_zps833c563a.jpg

917a1525-8a27-46bc-a378-d3e1776de354_zps

FallinginLove103fc100_zpsqfd9rvbr.jpg

You've got really awesome books. What an overall cover design! (thumbsu

59 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Too bad you couldn't have seen it all, back in the day, Ron.  Wall to wall romance, it blew the mind.  Looking back it kind of staggers me, now.  When I took my wife back to my place after our third date, to see my comics of course, she was speechless at first.  Then she calmly told me, "My girlfriend knows where I am, I told her we were coming here after dinner.  Just sayin."   What the what?  Really, that strange?  Guess so.  Not the amount of books - but romance.

IMG_6864_zpsxgeacng6.jpg

Now she grades tighter than me.  "In what universe does that book get an 8.0?  Those creases break color!" Everyone's a CGC grader.  lol

When I see those boxes it makes me think I'm at a show. Imagine going through a dealer's boxes and finding nothing but romance.

5 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Danke, Pickie!  and that's my living room, temporarily taken over by comics!  I've got less now, they live in closets.

thats a nice room

and some of the best things about this chat board is when you school us with another romance comic lesson thank you Dr.Love.....!!!

15 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Pink covers are always a big plus.  DC pink is awesome.

You nailed it good Dr.

DC pink has always had an intoxicating lure to me although you just now made me realized that THEIR pink is so much better than any other companies pink somehow....

initially a war comics collector i was always always drawn to the paradox and beauty of the pink DC war comics covers, they are some of my favorites... especially OOAW #9

11 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

IMG_6864_zpsxgeacng6.jpg

I remember that day...not your date, the day that photo was taken.

Let's see if I remember correctly...miscellaneous publishers including Marvel by the sliding glass door. The Fawcetts and Charltons all along the wall under the paintings. I think the DCs were on the front wall but I also seem to remember St Johns and Stars there as well.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I remember that day...not your date, the day that photo was taken.

Let's see if I remember correctly...miscellaneous publishers including Marvel by the sliding glass door. The Fawcetts and Charltons all along the wall under the paintings. I think the DCs were on the front wall but I also seem to remember St Johns and Stars there as well.

and Bingo was his Name-o!  Marvel and Quality and the little guys - the Crowley slabs and all those dang Charltons...what was I thinking?  but completists gotta do what completists do.  I didn't think I much needed anyone's recognition of what I was doing with these books, but seeing your face as you went through the boxes was Christmas come early for me.  For you were Mr. Bedrock, and you had seen the best and owned the best.  And still do!  (worship)

good luck on the Marvel 1, I wish I could say I'm in the running for that book!

2 hours ago, eccomic said:

This one just does not show up... especially in grade

Great Cold War romance comic with a tremendous splash page (thumbsu

lovesecrets32.jpg.c9319a118f79a7d2bcfda4802d1bf122.jpg.758f88452057aed529c86b6bc87c60fc.jpg

LoveSecrets3203.thumb.jpg.4787411412ed959adab8b81ff72abfe7.jpg

What a blurb to have on a comic in America in 1953. First time Ive seen this cover.

Goodness.  This thread has been amazing, and these last few pages have blown my mind.  I think I need to download, reformat, and have this thread printed in book form before all it's goodness is lost to the broken-link gods.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:04 AM, Dr. Love said:

This is a big book, though many wouldn't know why.  It's one of the sought after Lichtenstein romance books.

GirlsRomances105fc100_zpsajta7pvm.jpg

Bakerish, don't you think?  With all the vignettes around the central image.  Had anybody done that before Baker? hm

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Bakerish, don't you think?  With all the vignettes around the central image.  Had anybody done that before Baker? hm

Except all the vignettes are the same image in almost time lapsed photography. Baker had different scenes flashing around the central image.