• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Ken got this one..... I don't see them like this very often..... :sorry: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN5465.JPG

For some of these Colletta's I've felt that he was channeling Toth (and I love it).

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

She's burning his hot dog...

I don't know what he sees in her.  She's a terrible cook.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

For some of these Colletta's I've felt that he was channeling Toth (and I love it).

The both did work for Standard and, at first glance, it can be hard to tell their stories apart.

On 8/23/2018 at 2:52 AM, Dr. Love said:

And this one, which used to be mine, and is again.  Back to papa!

As far as I can tell, unique 4 panel Colletta atomic pre-code

SecretStoryRomances10fc100_zps4a4e2ec0.j

Really nice.  Don't recall ever having seen a copy. 

16 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I wish I still had all these..... some in Vegas, some in London, scattered to the four corners now..... but all with friends :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

LOVE ROMANCES 69.jpg

A few years ago, I bought a seemingly high-grade copy of this one from a dealer -- after extended haggling.  A couple of weeks later when I finally got around to taking it out of the bag, it had a significant water stain on the back cover.  Of course, neither of us had bothered to take it out of the bag while we were discussing it. doh!

23 hours ago, Yorick said:

He's hit or miss for me.  When he's "on" his work is genius.  Otherwise, you find the book in the dollar boxes. xD

Colletta's misses had more to do with his work load then a sporadic talent.  When he had the luxury of time, he could really do it up. 

His pre-code work for Atlas in 1954 was fantastic, his natural talent boosted by his ability to incorporate stylistic elements from other artists, especially Toth.  Romance wise, in 1954 he produced 152 pages of art, and 25 covers.  Being a quick artist who could be counted on to bring the work in on time, Atlas upped his load to 321 pages and 43 covers in 1955, 255 pages and 48 covers in 1956, 325 pages and 35 covers in 1957.

Less formulaic than Kirby, more imaginative than Baker, more lush than Toth - over time, I've come to appreciate Colletta as the best combination penciller/inker for romance of them all.  Close behind, in terms of raw interesting storytelling, I would have to say the Orbit crew -  Leav, Anderson, Buscema - would be my favorite reads.

23 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Great books Yorick!  Love to see the Atlas - even more so, if some of the contents can be pictured.  Look forward to seeing those when you get back, Sagii.  (thumbsu  With the copyright protection in place by Marvel and DC, it's a  visual embargo for the most part.  So it's a rare treat when a site like Atlas Tales has full scans of a story up, like Just My Type.  Interestingly, Ger Apeldoorn weighs in with this commentary about whether this story is Toth or Sekowsky.  Toth was incredibly influential on the whole artist community; many tried to copy his technique as best they were able.

"Notes: This is the first time I have seen this story, which was always attributed to Toth, but recently has been recanted by him. Apparently it is by Sekowsky imitating Toth. But that seems almost impossible. Although some parts look to weak to be pure Toth, some panels, such as the tier with the two girls on the couch and the silent panel of a hand picking up a book can only be pure Toth in my eyes... unless they are swipes. These panels are too inventive to be imitation. It is not that Sekowsky couldn't be as inventive as that, but it is hard to believe he could be inventive in Toth's way. - Ger"

Maybe our resident Toth expert, Adamstrange, could weigh in as well?

I think I'll muddy the water a bit...  I picked up a Standard Popular Romance page from Mr Harrington not too long ago which he had identified as Sekowsky.  The written info on the back says different (maybe?).  I love every panel of this except that first one (which may very well be because of a deadline looming).  It has that same Toth feel, but it just isn't.  Right?

DSC_0920.JPG

DSC_0921.JPG

The challenge is the both Colleta and Sekowsky were talented and heavily influenced by Toth at that time so their usual distinctive characteristics are muted.  I'm inclined toward Colleta on your piece.  Do you know the issue number it came from?

As indicated on the back of the piece, Popular Romance 25.  GCD indexer notes say Steve Saaf in 2006 originally credited Art Saaf for pencils, based on this piece that Yorick owns, I would think.  But two years later Saaf and Jim Vadeboncouer conferred and changed the accreditation to Sekowsky pencils.  Apparently Colletta inks was never in question.

I was thinking that the "take this to Mike" was perhaps a note by a past owner to have Mike Sekowsky inspect the work at a convention (or some other similar event).