• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,492 posts in this topic

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, Sqeggs said:

Surprised that this is the only copy on the census.  Darned if I can remember who I bought it from raw.  Maybe @jimjum12 ? hm

2018-09-08-0001 1.01.27 PM.jpg

Wasn't me on this one, Tony …. I don't think I've EVER had a copy of this one. I do know that Quality romance is some of the best out there …. luckily the genre markets have acute tunnel vision and some of the best material remains overlooked and underpriced :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

10 hours ago, jimjum12 said:
On 9/8/2018 at 1:02 PM, Sqeggs said:

Surprised that this is the only copy on the census.  Darned if I can remember who I bought it from raw.  Maybe @jimjum12 ? hm

Wasn't me on this one, Tony …. I don't think I've EVER had a copy of this one. I do know that Quality romance is some of the best out there …. luckily the genre markets have acute tunnel vision and some of the best material remains overlooked and underpriced :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

"Half angel, half fiend" "Phantom of Temptation"  Pioneering the Romance/Horror genre? hm

On 9/8/2018 at 10:02 AM, Sqeggs said:

I think I might have sold you that one.

16 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I think I might have sold you that one.

Ah, I do remember buying some romance books off of your site.  I'm usually pretty careful about recording who I bought a book from, but I guess it may have arrived during a busy period.  At any rate, thanks for selling me a great book! :)

Seems as if I've seen a number of copies of this issue, but this one is the sole copy on the census.  Arrived from CGC the first time with bad NRs, so I had it reholdered.

Edited to add:  The scan seems to show NRs, but I don't see any in hand.  I took a photo of a spot that shows NRs in the scan but the photo correctly reproduces an NR-free area that seems on the scan to have NRs.  Odd. hm

2018-09-10-0001_zpsjv90tz47.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

Edited by Sqeggs

34 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Seems as if I've seen a number of copies of this issue, but this one is the sole copy on the census.  Arrived from CGC the first time with bad NRs, so I had it reholdered.

Edited to add:  The scan seems to show NRs, but I don't see any in hand.  I took a photo of a spot that shows NRs in the scan but the photo correctly reproduces an NR-free area that seems on the scan to have NRs.  Odd. hm

2018-09-10-0001_zpsjv90tz47.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

Love that cover!

56 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, Cole covers is hot!  I would guess that, as with Baker, we'll start to see the census numbers rise on some of these books.

...I have a couple in Sarasota awaiting slabbing now :shy:

Been a few popping up on eBay recently. No where near what the Horror/Sci Fi genres would be commanding (even with the lower grades), but on the way up.

If ones not too picky on condition one can amass a pretty sweet Cole Romance set currently. 

Does anybody know where Hank Williams romance comics are?  Those to me seem to qualify as rare. Museum?

HankWilliams-400x400.jpg

Explore more from this episode

Hank Williams: Honky Tonk Blues

Filmmaker Interview – Morgan Neville

August 10, 2005

WITH DIRECTOR MORGAN NEVILLE

What got you interested in this project? What drew you to Hank Williams?

Everything about Hank Williams interests me. His music, his life. His death. His impact. It’s the kind of subject that one hopes to find. Although there is a cottage industry in books about Williams, there has never been a thorough documentary. That made me feel there was room to do something.

Did you learn anything that surprised you about Williams while making this film?

He is one of those rare American figures who seems to elude simple description. The longer we spent working on Hank, the more his character refused to be pinned down. During his life Hank wrote virtually no letters, gave few interviews and often gave people conflicting ideas about who he was. This has allowed people to project fifty years worth of mythologizing upon him. We went looking for the human side of Hank in the myth and was surprised by many things we found — he was a friend to African Americans in a time and place where that was not the norm, he loved guns and was an avid fisherman, he was a mischievous prankster to his friends, and a voracious reader of both romance and horror comic-books.

Hank Williams playing guitar in Montgomery, Alabama in 1938.

Picked up the first year (1957) of On Stage by Leonard Starr. Sort of romance - definitely soap opera. Thought I'd post a few strips here, just for you romantic types.

IMAG0040.thumb.jpg.7b6401b2e11f9127eb5ef2001960d4fa.jpg

First Sunday:

1765083612_IMAG0039(2).thumb.jpg.0c912cac7a10e6f9041e47c39510deb7.jpg

Secretary's knowing look in second last panel is just perfect!

Tears, overcoats and walking across the tarmac in a snowfall. Beautiful 1950's style heartbreak.

IMAG0038.thumb.jpg.66b4a33663152448b9a44d8c1c28930b.jpg

Edited by Arkadin