• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,491 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

One of the Lichtensteins.  A bit surprised it went for under 1K, that was a decent price.

Not much of an art historian, especially modern art but I finally read up on the Roy Lichtenstein story ...what a crook.  Can see why the comics are hot in light of some of his plagiarized paintings going for over 100 million...just unreal that people would pay so much, but then that's probably what people think of me paying over $1000 for a few comics now...makes ya think.  Wonder what the original comic art for everything he ripped off would sell for. 

Long hunt over..I think Hartley was checking out the competition that month. This could be a cover for St. Johns 'Wartime Romances'. It's really Baker-like in it's layout. Even the woman in the bottom box looks like a Baker girl. 

Also love that it's a Flag cover, not common for Romance books i think. 

img005.jpg

On 10/7/2018 at 12:52 PM, Yorick said:

It's a Pike cover (and right up there at the top of his best work).  Bidding was at $40 with 4 seconds left when I sniped $250.  Usually my artful snipe of over 200% the current bid works...  It is a pretty beat copy, but it's the first I've seen for sale.

Lovers 49 <a href='https://www.ebay.com/' class='notreplace' title='' target='_blank'  style=ebay 260 bucks 2018.10.jpg">

I'm actually the one who got this one - it's the first time i'd seen it available in over 4 years and I wasn't going to lose it.

15 hours ago, sagii said:

Long hunt over..I think Hartley was checking out the competition that month. This could be a cover for St. Johns 'Wartime Romances'. It's really Baker-like in it's layout. Even the woman in the bottom box looks like a Baker girl. 

Also love that it's a Flag cover, not common for Romance books i think. 

img005.jpg

It's a cool book, but the contrast with the similar WTR covers does show why Hartley was Hartley, and Baker was, well, the MAN!

On 9/20/2018 at 8:10 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:
On 9/8/2018 at 1:02 PM, Sqeggs said:

Surprised that this is the only copy on the census.  Darned if I can remember who I bought it from raw.  Maybe @jimjum12 ? hm

2018-09-08-0001 1.01.27 PM.jpg

It must be a horror comic...her right hand is severed...:whatthe:

Nah, she's just feeling between the cushions trying to find enough change to pay the photographer. 

12 hours ago, Drahcirh said:

I'm actually the one who got this one - it's the first time i'd seen it available in over 4 years and I wasn't going to lose it.

I felt the same!  Well, you know who to talk to if you want to make some profit...

On 10/15/2018 at 4:52 PM, comicjack said:

This one is new to me and the art is by horror artist Bernard Bailey

"Horror artist".  Too funny.  Personally, I'd identify him as the co-creator of The Spectre and Hourman...  jeez, the guy even drew Tex Thompson in Action Comics #1!

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Forgive the Bronze age intrusion of a non rare comic book...but the BA forum doesn't really have a good romance thread and this looks like it could have been a Harvey romance book from the 50s...

YoungLove104fplus.jpg

Love it sir! Offbeat cover subject matter. 

16 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Found this at a local con this past weekend.  I'm not into the romance genre at all, but even I knew to pick this up when I saw it.  I see there are only 9 copies on the census, but is it as scarce as that would indicate?

TAR.42.jpg

Pretty tough. Hope you bought it at a good price. Nice pick up.

Ken

I wonder how scarce this is?  I heard or read somewhere that it is a kinda tough book to find.  I don't know...I stopped looking after I got mine 20 years ago...

Well, it looks like on ebay you can buy a postcard with a picture of the cover on it...hm

15954795183_63b1972e50_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

15 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Nine in census makes it not that scarce overall, but scarce in grade for sure and one of the more desirable and sought after issues in any grade.

What this wise man said.