• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Classic cover aren't you glad you have one :smile:

Yes indeed. But it is a "love book". For a number even close to that, I could be pursauded to break up with her...

It looks to me like that copy might have had a little "potential" left in it. Maybe the reason for the price.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Yes indeed. But it is a "love book". For a number even close to that, I could be pursauded to break up with her...

It looks to me like that copy might have had a little "potential" left in it. Maybe the reason for the price.

It will be slabbed and pressed and be showing up in an auction 

In other romance news, there's an Accepted Publications reprint copy of the wildly popular Popular Teenagers 5 in an upcoming HA auction.  Still in its 2012 slab, a beautiful 8.5, but mislabeled as a Star copy.

This from the same auction house that had an AR copy auctioned October last year.  That copy was in a correctly labeled slab.  Though this one is not, it's just plain sloppy for a premier house to get this wrong. 

When the same situation came up at ComicLink in May, when made aware of the mislabel, they immediately corrected the auction title and description, and noted that they were sending the book back to CGC for proper labeling. 

Update:  HA says they'll correct this

Edited by Dr. Love

Also, while the big number on the Orbit book is understandable (to me anyway), there was a Charlton photocover, a True Life Secrets 3, scarce and interesting, that went for almost $800 recently on Ebay as well.  I thought I knew the market but I was surprised at this hammer.  I expected to take it at under $300, but man was I ever wrong.

One thing about romance - even though the market feels toppy as all getout, in absolute terms romance is so lesser valued, and always will be relative to other genres, that you could buy in at the top and still not take a crippling bath if there's a 50% haircut down the road.

Edited by Dr. Love

7 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

One thing about romance - even though the market feels toppy as all getout, in absolute terms romance is so lesser valued, and always will be relative to other genres, that you could buy in at the top and still not take a crippling bath if there's a 50% haircut down the road.

thanks for posting some great romance books and all the info about them too !!

On 11/7/2018 at 9:05 PM, Dr. Love said:

Also, while the big number on the Orbit book is understandable (to me anyway), there was a Charlton photocover, a True Life Secrets 3, scarce and interesting, that went for almost $800 recently on Ebay as well.  I thought I knew the market but I was surprised at this hammer.  I expected to take it at under $300, but man was I ever wrong.

I was expecting to win at over $ 300 myself, but I wrong too!

On 11/8/2018 at 12:31 AM, Dr. Love said:

it's been a while since I've posted a small run of books.  I remember when I was new to the boards and had a ton of romance never seen by eyes other than my own and I'd do these late night marathon postings.  What a trip that was!

I've held onto this Ziff.  One of the most wonderful romance books I've come across.  Painted, by the other Anderson (Allen, not Harry), with a play of light that is masterful for this medium.

RomanticMarriage08fc100_zps1ac51ea2.jpg

This was the first romance comic I purchased even though it was well below my desired grade.  I would love to see the original painting though it's unlikely to have survived.

RomanticMarriage8.jpg

On 11/7/2018 at 2:56 PM, Robot Man said:

I saw that, it was astounding. I used to see this comic for $30-$40 or whatever, 10+ years ago.  There were 4 bidders (at least) above the $900 mark.

On 11/13/2018 at 12:18 PM, Robot Man said:

Annother “tall” St John hit the mailbox. These have become habit forming for a cheap price...

9BEA0B35-ED57-4A98-8C8F-44AA1D93C374.jpeg

I'll bet in the right hands of a pro-conservator, the water stain on her face could be cleaned...  I am super happy that Baker books are coming down a bit.