• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2019 at 7:51 PM, Dr. Love said:

A beautiful copy!  :applause:

from the very small PL Publishing.  "An American publisher who opted for printing its comics in Canada.  However, they were compiled in USA, with American advertisements & were destined for the US market (distributed by Kable News).  The editorial address was 30 Rockefeller Plaza, NYC, which was also used by another comic book publisher, D.S. Publishing."

PL published its total comic output of 16 issues in 1951; two of those were romance, Co-Ed Romances 1 and Love Life 1.  Interestingly, for all that they are indeed scarce and especially in grade, a slabbed copy does exist for each issue, a 7.0 and 6.0 respectively.

There are two other publishers who had even less romance output, in this case meaning one issue from one title:  MS Pub with the photocover My Love Secret 53, which is pretty common and has 7 graded copies, and the also rare Sterling's My Secret Confessions 1, a code book from Sept 1955.  No census copies on this one. 

The Romance Explosion that occurred between 1949 and 1952 could serve as a case study of the comic industry and its reaction to emerging trends.  Who was quick to compete to grab a piece of Crestwood's (Simon & Kirby) huge numbers (Goodman at Marvel), and who was very late to the party (Ajax).  And one major publisher who decided to take a complete pass, that being Dell or course.

Sterling's one romance book.

my secret confession.jpg