• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Goes without saying!

The big takeaway is this:  there won't be any substantial OO romance coming to market, certainly not GA.  Even Bangzoom couldn't be bothered.  There is at least one almost complete DC silver OO collection to rival or surpass the Savannahs sitting in a dealer's private stock.  It may never see the light of day.

As far as Edgar, I've got him at 1016 books.  Not surprising, considering that around 1950 1 out of every 6 books on the newsstand was a love book.  Church's grade distribution was 1/3 VG or worse, 1/3 Fine, 1/3 NM or better.  Figure the Fine and worse are just positive spins by Chuck, and that leaves us with about 300 sweet romance that probably hasn't seen the market.  Which publishers, which books you say?  Well, I gotta let you do some of the work!

As to who has them - I never got a chance to ask Big John, and I don't know Little John.  I guess I could call up Chuck, but for what?  I know I don't have them.  I'm thinking the Verzyls.  With romance heating up, maybe it's finally worth it for them to turn em loose.

:applause:Absolutely fascinating data! 

20 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Goes without saying!

The big takeaway is this:  there won't be any substantial OO romance coming to market, certainly not GA.  Even Bangzoom couldn't be bothered.  There is at least one almost complete DC silver OO collection to rival or surpass the Savannahs sitting in a dealer's private stock.  It may never see the light of day.

As far as Edgar, I've got him at 1016 books.  Not surprising, considering that around 1950 1 out of every 6 books on the newsstand was a love book.  Church's grade distribution was 1/3 VG or worse, 1/3 Fine, 1/3 NM or better.  Figure the Fine and worse are just positive spins by Chuck, and that leaves us with about 300 sweet romance that probably hasn't seen the market.  Which publishers, which books you say?  Well, I gotta let you do some of the work!

As to who has them - I never got a chance to ask Big John, and I don't know Little John.  I guess I could call up Chuck, but for what?  I know I don't have them.  I'm thinking the Verzyls.  With romance heating up, maybe it's finally worth it for them to turn em loose.

Thanks

On 1/22/2019 at 2:47 PM, 29dukedog said:

Yes, in fact this is the only comic we know of so far that gives the cover model credit by name.  This is the book that finally allowed us to ID Miss Kelley, a few years back, before we comic geeks knew who she was.  

I enjoy her begging Eroll Flynn for a kiss in Against All Flags.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:45 PM, sagii said:
On 1/25/2019 at 5:53 PM, Dr. Love said:

Goes without saying!

:applause:Absolutely fascinating data! 

Is the total of 1016 from Chuck's catalog?  Didn't John McLaughlin buy some of the romance books before Chuck did the catalog? There were a significant number of romance books included when HA sold the McLaughlin collection.  I don't know if HA had all of McLaughlin's books or if all (or most) of the romance books they auctioned are missing from Chuck's catalog, but I think at least some are. 

18 hours ago, Yorick said:

I enjoy her begging Eroll Flynn for a kiss in Against All Flags.

Totally OT, but was there another actor who aged as rapidly as Flynn? I saw him in Operation Burma not too long ago.  Filmed when he was 35 or 36, but he looks much older. Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton are other candidates for that distinction. All big boozers apparently. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Totally OT, but was there another actor who aged as rapidly as Flynn? I saw him in Operation Burma not too long ago.  Filmed when he was 35 or 36, but he looks much older. Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton are other candidates for that distinction. All big boozers apparently. 

Alan Ladd also comes to mind 

3 minutes ago, sagii said:
9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Alan Ladd also comes to mind 

Yep.  He should be on the list. 

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Is the total of 1016 from Chuck's catalog?  Didn't John McLaughlin buy some of the romance books before Chuck did the catalog? There were a significant number of romance books included when HA sold the McLaughlin collection.  I don't know if HA had all of McLaughlin's books or if all (or most) of the romance books they auctioned are missing from Chuck's catalog, but I think at least some are. 

Yeh.  I'm talking about romance not in the market yet, though, more or less.  I forgot to include the 6th Street books that are still sidelined.  That's some serious Baker there too. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Yeh.  I'm talking about romance not in the market yet, though, more or less.  I forgot to include the 6th Street books that are still sidelined.  That's some serious Baker there too. 

Wish now that I'd bought more of these while I had the chance.  I imagine we all do! Iirc, there were some listed on eBay but not yet sold when the family started cutting up rough.  In addition, I think there were some that Craig hadn't yet sent to be graded or maybe that he hadn't even gotten his hands on. 

18 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Wish now that I'd bought more of these while I had the chance.  I imagine we all do! Iirc, there were some listed on eBay but not yet sold when the family started cutting up rough.  In addition, I think there were some that Craig hadn't yet sent to be graded or maybe that he hadn't even gotten his hands on. 

Is there any way to identify 6th Street books (such as markings by the owner)?  I've been buying Baker off feebay for many years... Maybe I am lucky enough to have one.

15 hours ago, Yorick said:

Is there any way to identify 6th Street books (such as markings by the owner)?  I've been buying Baker off feebay for many years... Maybe I am lucky enough to have one.

Not so far as I know, other than some of them had a bit of coal dust on them and some suffer from rusty staples to one degree or another. Both defects are the result of their having been stored in a basement.  The dealer who was handling the sales didn't send them to be dry cleaned or pressed before being graded. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, Sqeggs said:

Flynn was a heroin user.  It was a very physically damaging life style.  Bogart was a heavy drinker but tobacco did him in as it did John Wayne. My grandmother was a smoker but she survived until she was 90.

4 hours ago, comicnoir said:

I was, too, but that much in that grade seems crazy. It's kind of a tough series with some nice covers (and some not so nice covers), but I have to think that that price will flush out some more mid-grade copies.

6 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

Flynn was a heroin user.  It was a very physically damaging life style.  Bogart was a heavy drinker but tobacco did him in as it did John Wayne. My grandmother was a smoker but she survived until she was 90.

There is the theory that Wayne developed cancer as a result of being exposed to radioactive fallout from the filming of the Conqueror on location in Utah.  Apparently a number of actors in the cast of that film also died from cancer.  I don't how plausible that theory is.