• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Yorick said:

I had no idea this was Osrin ink...

(Re True Life Secrets #23...) Yes, that's cool. I can now see the resemblance between this lady and the girl on the Sweethearts.

16 hours ago, pmpknface said:

These last posts made me search ebay for something interesting and I came across SWEETHEART DIARY #8 and it looks like it's one of those Alice Kelly covers (I think that's her name).  Am I right?  

s-l1600.jpg

Yes that is definitely Alice Kelley since she is known for her dimples.

Comics with the “ore” stamp were probably sold in Sweden or other Scandanavian countries.
There were some warehouse finds of 50-60s leftover American comics for distribution to American military bases with the "ore" stamp.
The Four color 195 posted by Sqeggs has an 85 ore stamp. 85 ore was about 13 cents United States in 1948. 50 ore was about 10 cents American in 1952.
Here are some other stamped books: Tonto, Cisco Kid & Cowgirl Romance (posted by Scrooge)
The Bobby Benson 14 has a stamp in the upper right corner (posted by Tri-ColorBrian)

fc195.JPG

Tonto4.jpg

CiscoKid8.jpg

CowgirlRomances8.jpg

bobby14.jpeg

On 1/29/2019 at 5:12 PM, Sqeggs said:

There is the theory that Wayne developed cancer as a result of being exposed to radioactive fallout from the filming of the Conqueror on location in Utah.  Apparently a number of actors in the cast of that film also died from cancer.  I don't how plausible that theory is. 

According to this article, Wayne's cancer is more likely to have developed because he chain smoked as much as four packs of cigarettes a day. (That's what his widow's theory was, at least.) But the region indeed was highly radioactive and likely caused many of the 100,000 local residents to develop cancer.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/06/downwinders-nuclear-fallout-hollywood-john-wayne

59 minutes ago, Doohickamabob said:

According to this article, Wayne's cancer is more likely to have developed because he chain smoked as much as four packs of cigarettes a day. (That's what his widow's theory was, at least.) But the region indeed was highly radioactive and likely caused many of the 100,000 local residents to develop cancer.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/06/downwinders-nuclear-fallout-hollywood-john-wayne

Four packs a day will do it to you 

6 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

You outbid me on that one, you dog..... but I knew it would exceed my resources.... Bravo, Soldier :golfclap: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Always loved this one and i remember you selling a low grade copy awhile back.One of my favorites for a longtime just a great snow white cover image :cloud9:

6 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Now that one fits the bill.... and I'm sure you already know how lucky you are to have it. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Another one you never see not as pretty as the Adventure but an eye catching cover .

14 hours ago, comicjack said:

This one is tough

102_5885.thumb.JPG.83791b2568c2d9c01d3bb8339f5cf6ab.JPG

I found one of those Romantic Love issues but I think the Perfect Love issue with Frazetta art is more difficult to find or at least people are holding on to it.  Baker art seems to be even more popular.  Kinstler art is probably the next best example of romance art (I found a story in Perfect LOve).

29101717038_8d51159276_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:00 AM, jpepx78 said:

Yes that is definitely Alice Kelley since she is known for her dimples.

Comics with the “ore” stamp were probably sold in Sweden or other Scandanavian countries.
There were some warehouse finds of 50-60s leftover American comics for distribution to American military bases with the "ore" stamp.
The Four color 195 posted by Sqeggs has an 85 ore stamp. 85 ore was about 13 cents United States in 1948. 50 ore was about 10 cents American in 1952.
Here are some other stamped books: Tonto, Cisco Kid & Cowgirl Romance (posted by Scrooge)
The Bobby Benson 14 has a stamp in the upper right corner (posted by Tri-ColorBrian)

fc195.JPG

Tonto4.jpg

CiscoKid8.jpg

CowgirlRomances8.jpg

bobby14.jpeg

I don't think Bobby Benson is a romance comic although it has a kinky look.

22 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

I found one of those Romantic Love issues but I think the Perfect Love issue with Frazetta art is more difficult to find or at least people are holding on to it.  Baker art seems to be even more popular.  Kinstler art is probably the next best example of romance art (I found a story in Perfect LOve).

29101717038_8d51159276_b.jpg

Time was on our side Bruce (thumbsu