• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Scarey thought... did you rumble down in SD?

Not a peep. They say you could feel it though in the downtown only slightly in high rises there. I am always concerned if one quake on one fault line doesn’t impact another fault line down the road but they are saying it isn’t the case here. A family member felt it at the Dodger game though. We are do for bigger ones here (California) though. San Francisco is a ticking bomb the last few years so with 2 (much) younger sisters living there or close to that area I’m a bit concerned more for them. Something along the 1906 quake in that area is lurking still...

37 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Probably didn't have large print runs and not many people (other than @Dr. Love!) collected them until recently. Just about all '50s romance seem tough in high grade, apart from the Harvey file copies.

The cover of the Secret Story Romances 6 looks like Al Hartley to me, although he signed a lot of his covers. hm

More nice books Sqeggs and I think that's Hartley's sig partially cut off on the lamp shade at the spine.

1 minute ago, damonwad said:

More nice books Sqeggs and I think that's Hartley's sig partially cut off on the lamp shade at the spine.

Very sharp-eyed! I was looking for the sig and couldn't find it. 

43 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

there were a few horror books he did some work on as well in 1954.  From '55 on he had his hands full with romance.

Uncanny Tales 18

machine%20age%202%20colletta_zps4vp6cttb

That cross-hatching/shading is really good. Not something he kept doing, is it?

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Does Fred Kida ever merit a label note? Don't think I've seen CGC give him credit that often (or possibly, ever) but I may be misremembering. 

2019-07-06-0001.jpg

Tony, you are KILLING it today (worship)

One of my favorite Romance covers.  Never seen a better copy than my prized beater....until now. Looks waaaaay better than the great grade it's been assigned. 

This is what the Boards is about: sharing our cherished collections with fellow collectors. 

Good to see you back sir! 

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Does Fred Kida ever merit a label note? Don't think I've seen CGC give him credit that often (or possibly, ever) but I may be misremembering. 

2019-07-06-0001.jpg

And it doesn't appear as if "love" is what's going on between this particular boy and this particular girl. :whatthe:

21 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

And it doesn't appear as if "love" is what's going on between this particular boy and this particular girl. :whatthe:

To be fair it says “boy loves girl” not “boy and girl love each other.”

On 7/6/2019 at 12:44 PM, Dr. Love said:

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice

A great Hartley cover, so much rawer and more expressive than what his work would be down the line with the teen titles, but it's the Colletta story inside that is absolutely exceptional.  As I've mentioned before, '54 Colletta is priceless.  A slew of guys took direction from Toth and ran with it; Colletta ran faster and further than them all.  imho of course!

SecretStoryRomances06_pg1.thumb.jpg.a3cd9e986f3376f5f9aee3555f0f3dd0.jpg      SecretStoryRomances06_pg2.thumb.jpg.b7c2754a3d6b610c41d597446696e840.jpg

SecretStoryRomances06_pg3.thumb.jpg.eb2e0ece10200de3a4c94e5bd4806b4b.jpg     SecretStoryRomances06_pg4.thumb.jpg.042a76b11e54efcf6487d5fff5a274dc.jpg

SecretStoryRomances06_pg5.thumb.jpg.e77522c0c707bfa591b9a59d7008a0d0.jpg    SecretStoryRomances06_pg6.thumb.jpg.e29d8e87ce5474eb1678df568b3d345d.jpg

20190706_121513.jpg

That is exquisite. I should start looking inside my books once in awhile.

22 hours ago, Inaflash said:

That is exquisite. I should start looking inside my books once in awhile.

I wouldn't. Once you start that, lord knows where it will end. 

Bought from a dealer as an 8.0. The reading crease obviously rules out that high a grade, which I should have known but I have a child-like faith in the veracity of dealers. Highest (and only) graded copy, so there's that. 

2019-07-08-0001 3.29.08 PM.jpg