• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I know my great uncle was pretty upset when Moon Girl shifted to romance at the time but I know he bought that title off the newsstands.He had a few subs during those years for reading copies and I do remember it was common when a title got cancelled they would often just send you a different title to fulfill your subscription instead of refunding the difference. He wasn’t really happy when that happened. A couple of my cousins had subs during the silver age where they did just send you the new title to finish your sub.

Good Question...hm

I think Gaines was pretending that it was the same series in order to beat the USPS 2nd-class regs. Must have led to a few complaint letters from subscribers.

13 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Don't know who "Downes" was, but this cover is one of my favorites. Takes a familiar romance cover theme and knocks it out of the park. 

lov.jpg

Whoa....

I LOVE this cover!!!

43 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

And not just any copy. One from the amazing and possibly only real romance OO collector - Nancy Wessner.

Nancy was to romance as Edgar was to... well, everything

I remember you posting this about her 4 years ago:

Any more info. since then?

On 8/6/2015 at 10:46 AM, Dr. Love said:

Thanks rodan. So true for the girls, for the most part. There is one gal that did come closest to what you would call an original owner collection. She signed her books on the cover, and I would come across them sporadically over the years. Finally I came to realize how broad her romance interests were. And I saw her signature change as she grew older.

The only substantial romance collections to survive through the years were all the work of mature men, like Church, Crippen, Crowley, etc. Romance was on the stands, very much so in the early 50's, so they got swept up in across the board purchasing.

Nobody collected just romance for the love of the genre. And then came Michelle Nolan. If you are at all interested in the subject, buy her "Love on the Racks". As the saying goes, "she wrote the book", literally.

I give you: The Nancy Wessner Collection. Most of these are images I've grabbed, not books I own. It really doesn't qualify as a real collection, of course - I think the most I've seen are 20-30 books. But it gives you some idea of how what was so common for boys, was so rare for girls.

YouthfulRomances03fc100_zpszi0gnplu.jpg

BestLove36_zpssquyegna.jpg

LoveRomances44_zpshvlherwy.jpg

RomanticMarriage13f_zpszkz6s1rq.jpg

TrueSecrets13f_blissard02152015_zpskx77ic20.jpg

teenage_romances41_zps0mtgd6ip.jpg

SaddleRomances09f_1198110004_zpspypt8v9v.jpg

BoyMeetsGirl03100_zps5mht62bg.jpg

FlamingLovef_zpsxzws3utt.jpg

MySecretLife22_zpsfbqj8yxy.jpg

Edited by N e r V

On 7/17/2019 at 12:40 PM, Sqeggs said:

Another cover by sweet Alice. Bought raw from Mr. Bedford P. Rock as an 8.0.  When will that man learn to grade? :)

2019-07-17-0001.jpg

:boo:doh!:tonofbricks::flamed::sorry:

10 minutes ago, Point Five said:

"With some hard work, a little luck, and my helicopter..."  Wait, what? lol

In a tight spot, sometimes a girl has to exaggerate what she's got. :)

Edited by Sqeggs

Just now, MrBedrock said:
On 7/17/2019 at 1:40 PM, Sqeggs said:

Another cover by sweet Alice. Bought raw from Mr. Bedford P. Rock as an 8.0.  When will that man learn to grade? :)

2019-07-17-0001.jpg

:boo:doh!:tonofbricks::flamed::sorry:

All is forgiven. :foryou:

But try not to let it happen again. :taptaptap:

6 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Seems to settle my question about the newsstand writing her name on the cover. The name on the Saddle Romances matches the handwriting of the names on the other books and clearly they were written by her. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

All is forgiven. :foryou:

But try not to let it happen again. :taptaptap:

BTW, the 52 came from me (via Dr. Love) as well.

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

Thread is chock full of goodies today :martini:

Tony is back!!!