• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

Back in the mid late 90s and early 2000's seemingly billions of those in the bay area.  Yes I said billions, prove me wrong!

Thing, Blue Beetle, a couple of different True Life, a couple of oddball Star westerns and a couple of Charton crime as well as a bunch of misc LB Cole cover titles. You could go to a knitting needle convention and there would be Little old ladies with big stacks of all of them for sale. Mostly high grade, but if you were lucky you could find a good VG copy, those  are the scarce rare ones.👌😃😂Especially if you were allowed the privilege to dig through Gary Arlington's, bookstore. Boxes and boxes.Buy them for a buck and put them out at five dollars apiece and then...money money money!

IMG_2352.JPG

48 minutes ago, Cobbledclam said:

You could go to a knitting needle convention and there would be Little old ladies with big stacks of all of them for sale. Mostly high grade, but if you were lucky you could find a good VG copy, those  are the scarce rare ones.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is exaggerated just a little...:whistle:

However, I remember a twenty-something guy that always set up at SDCC in the mid-90s who had a bunch of Thing #16s.  He only displayed one at a time, but you could see the stack behind his table if you were nosy enough.  He sold them at guide, but was well aware of the warehouse find.  I wonder how many he had, and if he's still selling them...hm

Wee bit. Actually the little old ladies were set up at the PMA antique shows in San Mateo and the collectors shows at the Cow Palace, and it was in the early nineties. They would also have stacks of Kaluta Shadows and misc. Wrightson Swamp Thing along with Kirby Jimmie Olsen and other 4th world titles. 

IMG_2353.JPG

12 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

Wee bit. Actually the little old ladies were set up at the PMA antique shows in San Mateo and the collectors shows at the Cow Palace, and it was in the early nineties. They would also have stacks of Kaluta Shadows and misc. Wrightson Swamp Thing along with Kirby Jimmie Olsen and other 4th world titles. 

Any Major Inapaks?

Such fun artwork! Sorry getting off topic of thread, but I guess it's romantic  fantasizing about the nostalgia of our hobby. And the fact that you can find these in people's boxes at for 1,2,3 bucks apiece

Good times always worth the price of admission.

IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2361.JPG

Edited by Cobbledclam
Forgot some text

7 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
19 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

Any Major Inapaks?

They always liked him. I think maybe because he outranks Captain 3-D. 

21 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
22 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

You could go to a knitting needle convention and there would be Little old ladies with big stacks of all of them for sale. Mostly high grade, but if you were lucky you could find a good VG copy, those  are the scarce rare ones.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is exaggerated just a little...:whistle:

However, I remember a twenty-something guy that always set up at SDCC in the mid-90s who had a bunch of Thing #16s.  He only displayed one at a time, but you could see the stack behind his table if you were nosy enough.  He sold them at guide, but was well aware of the warehouse find.  I wonder how many he had, and if he's still selling them...hm

Way OT, but when I was a kid, the only adult comic collector I knew (a used car salesman--make of that what you will!) had a box of March of Comics 20 (Barks DD in Darkest Africa), many in high grade, or what we considered high grade in those unenlightened days. I just looked and there are only 28 copies on the census, although 13 of them are 9.0 and above. Don't know what became of that box and whether any of them survived to be graded and on the census. 

49 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Cole used this collage approach a number of times on his romance covers. I think it works well.

Book isn't nearly as yellow in hand as it appears in my scan. 

True-to-Life Romances.jpg

Another AMAZING book T. 

Gorgeous! :applause:

On 5/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, Cobbledclam said:

Back in the mid late 90s and early 2000's seemingly billions of those in the bay area.  Yes I said billions, prove me wrong!

Thing, Blue Beetle, a couple of different True Life, a couple of oddball Star westerns and a couple of Charton crime as well as a bunch of misc LB Cole cover titles. You could go to a knitting needle convention and there would be Little old ladies with big stacks of all of them for sale. Mostly high grade, but if you were lucky you could find a good VG copy, those  are the scarce rare ones.👌😃😂Especially if you were allowed the privilege to dig through Gary Arlington's, bookstore. Boxes and boxes.Buy them for a buck and put them out at five dollars apiece and then...money money money!

IMG_2352.JPG

I absolutely believe you, as just a couple years ago I got a Crime & Justice 20 and a Space Adventures 13 (with Blue Beetle) for $5 or so from KAYO books in SF.  There was clearly a find of late '54 Charltons down in that area a while back.

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Just hammered for

$2,222

:whatthe:   (worship)

the romance on CC is absolutely blowing up

my_22.63_1.jpg

Hmm, what can the appeal be? Maybe it’s his groovy swim shorts or the phallic lighthouse in the background? (shrug)

24 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Hmm, what can the appeal be? Maybe it’s his groovy swim shorts or the phallic lighthouse in the background? (shrug)

I thought it was just me with the lighthouse …. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:
1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

I thought it was just me with the lighthouse …. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

jimbo and Steve, you're not alone!

Edited by MusterMark