• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

I'm looking at the cocktail in her hand,  records on the floor and the hell or come hither coyness in her smirk and I'm betting that's a dry gin martini and was listening to some Julie, Eartha and Peggy but now that he's entered the room she's playing some Chet. 

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

Edited by Cobbledclam
Wrong image

An investment tip and a question...Many of the beautiful painted Ace romance comics covers were originally published as covers for their pulp line, which was enormously successful back then. In some cases the pulps were published many years prior to their comic counterparts. Even in nice shape those pulps now mostly sell for less than $15 each. When CGC starts grading pulps those Ace romance issues should increase in desirability and value as more folks are exposed to them. Will the corresponding comics hold their value?

14 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Haircuts by Leatherface

As we say in Texas, "Corn Teen!"

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

An investment tip and a question...Many of the beautiful painted Ace romance comics covers were originally published as covers for their pulp line, which was enormously successful back then. In some cases the pulps were published many years prior to their comic counterparts. Even in nice shape those pulps now mostly sell for less than $15 each. When CGC starts grading pulps those Ace romance issues should increase in desirability and value as more folks are exposed to them. Will the corresponding comics hold their value?

I am psyched as this isn't the first time i have seen you post with a (perceived on my part) certainty that slabbing of Pulps will happen. I have recently jumped in after years of being on the fence -with a more heightened profile of them here on the Boards, my Spidey senses were telling me it's now or never.

I have pondered your question every time i look at these babies (ignore the satin sheets in the photo :shy: ). I have only seen one issue (yellow cover) in Pulp form after years of having all four as a saved search in Pulp form on eBay. There are other Ace painted covers i have seen in Pulp form more than comic form also.

But my answer would be because the interiors have different contents, i don't think one would pass the other in value if the covers are the main draw with that in play. They would be collectible in both forms and many collectors may want both editions. 

Fan 4.jpg

23 minutes ago, sagii said:

I am psyched as this isn't the first time i have seen you post with a (perceived on my part) certainty that slabbing of Pulps will happen. I have recently jumped in after years of being on the fence -with a more heightened profile of them here on the Boards, my Spidey senses were telling me it's now or never.

I have pondered your question every time i look at these babies (ignore the satin sheets in the photo :shy: ). I have only seen one issue (yellow cover) in Pulp form after years of having all four as a saved search in Pulp form on eBay. There are other Ace painted covers i have seen in Pulp form more than comic form also.

But my answer would be because the interiors have different contents, i don't think one would pass the other in value if the covers are the main draw with that in play. They would be collectible in both forms and many collectors may want both editions. 

Fan 4.jpg

Ya done good, kid!

42 minutes ago, sagii said:

I am psyched as this isn't the first time i have seen you post with a (perceived on my part) certainty that slabbing of Pulps will happen.

It isn't 100% yet, but I think the odds are in the high 90's.

6 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Appreciate that! (thumbsu

I'm still happy i got in when i did. Won't be a large collection, but always had a little wish list.

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

When CGC starts grading pulps those Ace romance issues should increase in desirability and value

I don't think so.  CGC will not grade pulps and those Ace pulps will not be more desirable.  The pulps are even worse paper quality than their comic counterparts (if you can believe that).  Imagine a CGC slab for a pulp.  Would it be 2 inches thick?  3?  I barely have enough room for my comics, and I'm strongly considering adopting your "cracking" methods for all the slabs that I already have..

Love Fiction Mag Oct 45.JPG

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Even though you have friends in high places

since you're a betting man, I bet dinner it won't happen (aka CGC announcement, and not just bedsheets, which are already being slabbed, I mean overhang baby) within a year from today, lunch within two years, and a cup of premium coffee it won't happen EVER

42 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:
3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Even though you have friends in high places

since you're a betting man, I bet dinner it won't happen (aka CGC announcement, and not just bedsheets, which are already being slabbed, I mean overhang baby) within a year from today, lunch within two years, and a cup of premium coffee it won't happen EVER

I will definitely take the third bet. No way it happens within a year so I can't take the first. The second is 50/50 and I would buy you lunch any day of the week anyway, so let's do that one too.

I figured I better share some of the non-Baker pages over here in Rare-Romance.  No census copies and no image available on GCD.  I don't even have the cover -- it's that rare!  This is a reprint of Love Romances 57 (FYI).

True Tales of Love 7 (5).JPG

True Tales of Love 7 (9).JPG

I know this is Silver Age, but I am really stoked I finally found a copy of this after looking for quite a while.

There seem to be very, very few covers that are beefcake covers. Tons of covers with hot women being looked at by leering men, but almost none the other direction, which is weird given the target audience. 

This is one of the few pure beefcake covers I know of - not only is it a shirtless lumberjack, but the whole point is the woman in the background doing a double take at how hot he is, while her jealous boyfriend gives her the stinkeye!

20200606_164549.thumb.jpg.dd66743b5a5b3d7e29b46472a71f8637.jpg

It's basically...

shutterstock_297886754_-_h_2017.thumb.jpg.698a41fed7a1db860e761a8dfa8cc4d8.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster