• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,490 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Inaflash said:

These are terrific. Look at that redhead’s hair. ❤️

It's hard to tell sometimes with the DC romance bullpen, but I believe the penciller is Mike Sekowsky.  And at the very tip top of his game.  Drawing romance wasn't easy, most failed miserably, as to do it realistically required more of an illustrator's skill set than a cartoonist's.

Speaking of skill set, and DC, and since reviving old posts and old pics is a time honored tradition in GA threads, let's pay homage again to Ira Schnapp, the visionary letterer, logo and in-house ad designer for almost 30 years at DC.

Here's a fantastic recurring back cover montage once posted by @adamstrange

image.thumb.jpeg.6d3eea8355a414657d6257788902f1f6.jpeg

but there were also one off back covers as well

image.png.4c97a5e4d33000bf9f79e6a57030a0e9.png

Ira Schnapp was honored in a retrospective exhibit hosted by the Type Directors Club in NYC in 2015. 

image.thumb.png.0e17532b1730869df8f523e2701a93e5.png

image.thumb.jpeg.c260c6b6f2652e543c0671f5ae65ab4d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.283b43760c543d97b98a0664e9791617.jpeg

What's also interesting about Ira Schnapp is that his career illustrates to some extent how interwoven the NYC Jewish familial and community relationships were into the comic industry.  Of course we all know about Stanley Lieber and Martin Goodman, but how about this complex web:

"Several members of Ira Schnapp's family and extended family were also involved in the comics business. His father's brother (or cousin) Wolf Schnapp had a son Solomon who married Faye Liebowitz, the sister of Jack Liebowitz, the co-owner of National (DC) Comics. One of their sons was Jay (Schnapp) Emmett, who began as a National employee and worked his way up to President of Warner Communications. Solomon and Faye's daughter Carol married Irwin Donenfeld, son of the other owner of National Comics, Harry Donenfeld. Schnapp was more closely related to Fred Iger, head of the American Comics Group. Iger was the son of Schnapp's sister Lee, making him Schnapp's nephew."

Edited by Dr. Love

10 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Here's a fantastic recurring back cover montage once posted by @adamstrange

The picture's mine but the comics were courtesy of the physician of romance!

On 2/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, Electricmastro said:

Ah, where was it made known that it was by Infantino instead of Toth?

It's not in the Toth catalogue, compiled mostly by JIm Vadebonceur.  Jim is one of the great comic indexers/researchers/art identifiers and walked Toth through his list.

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-Isolated-Life-Alex-Toth/dp/1600108288/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=toth+genius+isolated&qid=1613267791&sr=8-1

I also believe it is wholly inconsistent with his output at the time or at any time after 1950.  The pose of the figures is far looser and more energetic than what Toth would do.  I believe it to be by Infantino.

6 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

It's not in the Toth catalogue, compiled mostly by JIm Vadebonceur.  Jim is one of the great comic indexers/researchers/art identifiers and walked Toth through his list.

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-Isolated-Life-Alex-Toth/dp/1600108288/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=toth+genius+isolated&qid=1613267791&sr=8-1

I also believe it is wholly inconsistent with his output at the time or at any time after 1950.  The pose of the figures is far looser and more energetic than what Toth would do.  I believe it to be by Infantino.

I’m inclined to agree. There does seem to be more consistency with Infantino’s work:

10.jpg

Toth, from Girls' Love #1.  Courtesy of @Marty Mann, from two years ago in this thread.  

The first story in the first issue of the first title that DC chose to make their entry into the super hot, super competitive romance market.  As has been said before (by me! and thought about secretly in private by others!), it was the tremendous influx of young girls buying romance (one out of every four books) into the comic market of 1949-1950 that acted as a type of bridge loan.  These gals (new customers, not stolen from other comic buys) kept a flailing industry on life support until it could pivot from GA superhero and get back on its feet.

IMG  GIRLS LOVE Pg 1  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  GIRLS LOVE Pg 2  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  GIRLS LOVE Pg 3  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  GIRLS LOVE Pg 4  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  GIRLS LOVE Pg 5  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  GIRLS LOVE Pg 6  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  GIRLS LOVE Pg 7  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  GIRLS LOVE Pg 8  (200 dpi).jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

This Thread should be very active today, if no other. Where's the Love? :D

Anyway,  piggybacking off of @Point Five Comic Media does have some very desirable Romance books among other genres. I have been able to coral about 5 examples from the publisher (3 of them from this title) :x

20210214_132003.jpg