• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

I thought there was one. I remember some months back, member KillKillKill began posting huge numbers of his -- mostly low-grade -- books. I don't know what happened to that thread or to him. Perhaps he changed his name? hm

KilIKillKill was a shill for a banned board member.

Was it luxx?

Also,hearing so much about it,does anyone have a picture of Negro Romance 4?

I'd love to see it..and maybe a request for LB Cole covers?

This is a niche of comics I have never really explored,and wow,I really am keen on it now.Thanks to everyone for opening my eyes to so many beautiful books.

Sidewalk Romance really knocks my socks off...seems so ominous..any interior shots :wishluck: ?Sorry to take up so much space gang,but thanks to all again for sharing this wonderful stuff.

Jimmers

Swiped from GCD (I don't own a copy):

152857_zpsd772b2e3.jpg

There was one up for auction not long ago. There is a debate as to whether the cover might be by Matt Baker and, if so, whether he drew himself as the man in the car.

I definitely vote that this is not a Matt Baker cover. There seems to be virtually nothing in it that reminds me of Baker. It does have some Ajax characteristics that might have swiped some Baker style though.

I thought there was one. I remember some months back, member KillKillKill began posting huge numbers of his -- mostly low-grade -- books. I don't know what happened to that thread or to him. Perhaps he changed his name? hm

KilIKillKill was a shill for a banned board member.

Was it luxx?

Also,hearing so much about it,does anyone have a picture of Negro Romance 4?

I'd love to see it..and maybe a request for LB Cole covers?

This is a niche of comics I have never really explored,and wow,I really am keen on it now.Thanks to everyone for opening my eyes to so many beautiful books.

Sidewalk Romance really knocks my socks off...seems so ominous..any interior shots :wishluck: ?Sorry to take up so much space gang,but thanks to all again for sharing this wonderful stuff.

Jimmers

Swiped from GCD (I don't own a copy):

152857_zpsd772b2e3.jpg

There was one up for auction not long ago. There is a debate as to whether the cover might be by Matt Baker and, if so, whether he drew himself as the man in the car.

I definitely vote that this is not a Matt Baker cover. There seems to be virtually nothing in it that reminds me of Baker. It does have some Ajax characteristics that might have swiped some Baker style though.

I have to agree with the above. I think this is more a case of contemporary collectors liking the idea of there being a Baker connection, simply because Baker was African American, a snappy dresser, the owner of a similar model automobile, and an artist in romance comics.

EC romance issues are more scarce than a lot of people realize.

True that! Ebay, 8 years ago. Nabbed by The Eye that never rarely sleeps.

MoonGirlRomance11fc100_zpsf97249a3.jpg

That's the second highest graded CGC copy of issue 11, behind a single 9.2.

To further illustrate the exceptional scarcity of this issue, I grabbed some numbers from the CGC census, re: the four issues of this title, and the number of graded copies of each:

#9 = 10 copies

10 = 9 copies

11 = 4 copies

12 = 6 copes

And as an aside, for MM fans, and I know you're out there, here is the rare January 1946 issue of "Douglas Airview", an in-house publication, which features Norma Jeane Mortenson's first appearance on a magazine cover. And no I don't own it.

DouglasAirview_Vol13_zpsf1115500.jpg

And you have no idea how close!

Not really into collecting romance genre but I have this one because of the interior story by Steve Ditko.

DaringLove1.jpg

Badda-bing, Tony! Not too shabby for a drive-by romance collector. This is one of the key romance I don't own. Years ago I couldn't find it in grade. By the time it started coming around in grade, I couldn't find the cash.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a loan shark for?

Not really into collecting romance genre but I have this one because of the interior story by Steve Ditko.

DaringLove1.jpg

Badda-bing, Tony! Not too shabby for a drive-by romance collector. This is one of the key romance I don't own. Years ago I couldn't find it in grade. By the time it started coming around in grade, I couldn't find the cash.

I got it at a convention about 25 years ago, after looking for a copy for years.

DaringLove1.jpg

I got it at a convention about 25 years ago, after looking for a copy for years.

Killer book! I saw one go in a ComicConnect auction a while back. Can't find the link for it now. It got too rich for my blood.

And as an aside, for MM fans, and I know you're out there, here is the rare January 1946 issue of "Douglas Airview", an in-house publication, which features Norma Jeane Mortenson's first appearance on a magazine cover. And no I don't own it.

That is sooooo cool!

That is sooooo cool!

There is one for sale on ebay right now for $4k

LINK LINK

That is sooooo cool!

LINK LINK

I asked that seller if he had a copy of Teen-Age Diary Secrets 6. He said, "No, I'm still looking for that one."

That is sooooo cool!

LINK LINK

I asked that seller if he had a copy of Teen-Age Diary Secrets 6. He said, "No, I'm still looking for that one."

Is Marilyn so iconic that she can stand the passing of her boomer fans with her appeal intact? Is she Elvis or Howdy Doody? :o