• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

I'm not sure about Love Mysteries 3. But, again, it could be because the model lacks that sunshine smile, and we have so few examples of that kind of expression to work with. So that one's a "maybe but doubtful", IMO.

I'm inclined to agree with both Romance Trail 6 and Romantic Western 3, but not with 100% conviction. Maybe just 85%.

I do believe that New Romances 5 is our girl. (BTW, did you notice it's the exact same photo as the one on the cover of Girls' Romances 6?)

147592.jpg.92cfda3e29797683378d22313338b201.jpg

147593.jpg.164a11f7d40295189566601801aabc49.jpg

Also, as we pursue this project, let's remember a couple of key points about photography and publishing. Photos can always be airbrushed to suit the whim of any editor or art director. Also, as far as the dimple issue goes, lighting is everything. In order for a dimple to become conspicuous, the light must be coming from just the right direction in order to cast just the right shadow in the cleft of the cheek, forming the feature we call a "dimple".

So let's not exclude any contenders on the basis of the absence of dimples.

Hey, it was Bo Hogg that got this party started. Speaking of which, nice going on the Dream Book of Love #2, Bo - Gerber white space romance! :applause:

as for the gal in question... :luhv:

Step right up and don't be shy,

because you will not believe your eyes.

She's right here behind the glass

and you're gonna like her,

'cause she's got class.

You can look inside another world.

You get to talk to a pretty girl.

She's everything you dream about...

but don't fall in love...

She's a beauty ---

one in a million girls,

she's a beauty.

Why would I lie?

Why would I lie?

You can say anything you like,

but you can't touch the merchandise.

She'll give you every pennies worth,

but it will cost you a dollar first.

You can step outside your little world.

You can talk to a pretty girl.

She's everything you dream about...

but don't fall in love...

She's a beauty ---

one in a million girls,

she's a beauty.

Why would I lie?

Why would I lie?

GirlsRomances02fc100_zpsa677ae71.jpg

CampusLoves03fc100_zps7a1d2ade.jpg

TrueWarRomances01fc100_zpseb0807f3.jpg

Call me crazy, but the cheekbones, eyes and teeth make me think she's on the cover of Teen-Age Romances #5, too!

She's kind of holding back on the smile and the light is at such an angle that dimples aren't obvious, but really, how many girls had those eyes and that face structure...and more importantly, GREAT TEETH back then?

Here's a pic from comicbookplus.

0.jpg

Call me crazy, but the cheekbones, eyes and teeth make me think she's on the cover of Teen-Age Romances #5, too!

She's kind of holding back on the smile and the light is at such an angle that dimples aren't obvious, but really, how many girls had those eyes and that face structure...and more importantly, GREAT TEETH back then?

0.jpg

I can call you crazy, if it'll make you happy. But, I, too, had the same idea. I just wasn't sure enough to feel confident suggesting it. But, yeah, she does have that same kind of "full features" look. And in the case of this photo, we're kinda seeing her face from underneath, which makes identification more difficult. But I certainly wouldn't rule out this one as a candidate. After all, she already appears to be the girl on two other early issues of Teen-Age Romances...

Dr. Love,

You own that copy of Quality's Campus Loves #3, right?

I think I've found a way to discover the identity of the Dimple Doll.

There are five issues of Campus Loves. I was looking through them at the GCD site. The first two issues are line drawn covers. Issues 3, 4, and 5 are all photo covers, but, as bad luck would have it, the GCD site hasn't uploaded a copy of issue 3, yet (or 5, either).

However, at the bottom of the indicia in issue 4, the name of the cover model is given, along with the names of the photographer and the photography studio!

You see what I'm getting at! If you (or anyone, for that matter) have a copy of Quality's Campus Loves 3, take a look at the indicia, and there's a great chance we'll learn the name of the Dimple Doll!

Great detective work, folks. A thread like this is what makes this board great! :D

I'm leaning towards there being two models here. One of the women seems significantly older than the other, although it's possible, I guess, that lighting and makeup may account for it.

If still alive, she (or they) would be in her eighties. :o

0.jpg

I can call you crazy, if it'll make you happy. But, I, too, had the same idea. I just wasn't sure enough to feel confident suggesting it. But, yeah, she does have that same kind of "full features" look. And in the case of this photo, we're kinda seeing her face from underneath, which makes identification more difficult. But I certainly wouldn't rule out this one as a candidate. After all, she already appears to be the girl on two other early issues of Teen-Age Romances...

Might be, although her hair seems consistently darker in the other photos. Perhaps it was retouched in the lab to fit the summer setting. hm

Dr. Love, if you (or anyone, for that matter) have a copy of Quality's Campus Loves 3, take a look at the indicia, and there's a great chance we'll learn the name of the Dimple Doll!

and a big :applause: to Duke for the GREAT detective work!!

Alice Amanda Kelly

born May 14, 1932 in Springfield, MO

died June 27, 2012 in Pasadena, CA. She is buried at Forest Lawn.

By age 12, she was already being noted in magazine photos as a striking beauty. She was a titled beauty queen, being named "Miss Junior Miss 1948".

How striking was she? Enough to be the subject for Alberto Vargas. This Watercolor on board, 20" x 16", was sold recently on Heritage in 2011 for $3,346. Anyone want to buy it? (just kidding...I'd never sell it...no really I'm kidding, I don't own it or even knew it existed until today!) lol

Vargas_Alicec100_zps3a79d339.jpg

As a model and actress, she used the name "Alice Ann Kelley" and was featured on numerous magazine covers. At 21, she married Ken Norris, then a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force Reserve. He later inherited Norris Industries from his father and became a leading philanthropist in the Los Angeles area. Altogether, his family trust has contributed more than 70 million dollars to various causes. They had two sons together and were later divorced in 1973. He died in a boating accident at the age of 66 in 1996.

I'm going to start calling her Dollface Dimples.

...and you aren't the only one. On her profile page in Glamour Girls of the Silver Screen , it says that somewhere between 1948, when she was crowned Miss Junior America, and 1952, when she was awarded a long term contract by Warner Bros, she was " discovered by a talent scout, who is first attracted by her unusually deep and sparkling dimples".

Alice Ann is listed in imdb. Of her credits, the most illustrious role was that of Princess Patma in "Against All Flags", starring Erroll Flynn and Maureen O'Hara. You can see her in living color in this clip. She shows up at 1:30 in.

Apparently she made quite an impression on men, including but not limited to us comic nerds. Here is a moving tribute on her Forest Lawn obituary page:

"I had known Alice since we were 14 years old. We did some modeling together, even dated for while. When she married in 1953, I was in the Navy and my heart was "crushed." I have never forgotten how beautiful, sweet and kind she was. May her soul rest in peace...."

Aliceheadc100_zpsb0417921.jpg

Aliceobitc100_zps7c64a564.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

Astounding and very thorough! Gotta love the Internet. 20 years ago, it would have taken weeks, maybe months, to come up with all of this info.

On a personal side bar, Alice was born 18 days before and just 30 miles up the road from my own beloved mother, who turns 82 next weekend.

Edited by MBFan

Dr. Love, if you (or anyone, for that matter) have a copy of Quality's Campus Loves 3, take a look at the indicia, and there's a great chance we'll learn the name of the Dimple Doll!

and a big :applause: to Duke for the GREAT detective work!!

Alice Amanda Kelly

born May 14, 1932 in Springfield, MO

died June 27, 2012 in Pasadena, CA. She is buried at Forest Lawn.

By age 12, she was already being noted in magazine photos as a striking beauty. She was a titled beauty queen, being named "Miss Junior Miss 1948".

How striking was she? Enough to be the subject for Alberto Vargas. This Watercolor on board, 20" x 16", was sold recently on Heritage in 2011 for $3,346. Anyone want to buy it? (just kidding...I'd never sell it...no really I'm kidding, I don't own it or even knew it existed until today!) lol

Vargas_Alicec100_zps3a79d339.jpg

As a model and actress, she used the name "Alice Ann Kelley" and was featured on numerous magazine covers. At 21, she married Ken Norris, then a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force Reserve. He later inherited Norris Industries from his father and became a leading philanthropist in the Los Angeles area. Altogether, his family trust has contributed more than 70 million dollars to various causes. They had two sons together and were later divorced in 1973. He died in a boating accident at the age of 66 in 1996.

I'm going to start calling her Dollface Dimples.

...and you aren't the only one. On her profile page in Glamour Girls of the Silver Screen , it says that somewhere between 1948, when she was crowned Miss Junior America, and 1952, when she was awarded a long term contract by Warner Bros, she was " discovered by a talent scout, who is first attracted by her unusually deep and sparkling dimples".

Alice Ann is listed in imdb. Of her credits, the most illustrious role was that of Princess Patma in "Against All Flags", starring Erroll Flynn and Maureen O'Hara. You can see her in living color in this clip. She shows up at 1:30 in.

Apparently she made quite an impression on men, including but not limited to us comic nerds. Here is a moving tribute on her Forest Lawn obituary page:

"I had known Alice since we were 14 years old. We did some modeling together, even dated for while. When she married in 1953, I was in the Navy and my heart was "crushed." I have never forgotten how beautiful, sweet and kind she was. May her soul rest in peace...."

Aliceheadc100_zpsb0417921.jpg

Aliceobitc100_zps7c64a564.jpg

Great detective work!

If that Vargas sketch were to go up for auction again today, I think I know of several bidders who would send the price up. :D

Great job, Andy. I have to admit, I was a bit crushed, myself, to discover she passed away less than two years ago. But what a great day for her to be memorialized.

Thanks so much for putting all that information together!

Wow, this is impressive, amazing, and bittersweet too. I am sorry to hear she has already left the planet. It would have been really nice to try to contact her collectively and tell her how much comic collectors appreciate her cover art after all these years. I would hope she would have found that sweet, as opposed to weird or disturbing or something. I imagine she would have.

I scanned through the Gerber journals hoping to find some more examples of her on romance comics, but I think we may have reached maximum Alice Kelley discovery for the time being. I am glad we have done this and hope it is remembered by romance-comic collectors. With any luck, "Alice Kelley cover" will become its own special designation and the value of these comics will skyrocket, because -- dimples, of course.

Again, I applaud the effort to figure out who she is! Really kind of a one-of-a-kind CGC boards experience here. Her covers always were in my subconscious but I never took the time to let the connection play out with more than a few seconds of thought. Now that I have, thanks to others here, it's really cool. She has this unique, charming, robust, wholesome, sexy, womanly look to her.

That's great that she made some progress in a Hollywood career. She got billing in that linked movie right after Anthony Quinn. Nothing to sneeze at there.

In terms of some of the other comics where it could be her, or could be somebody else, I think it's best to leave them in the "maybe" category and not draw conclusions. There does seem to be the possibility of another brunette, round-faced model also turning up at the same time she did. Or maybe it IS her and some camera shots capture her unique dimply look, and some don't. Whatever the case, certain images are much more in the "slam dunk" category than others.

Hats off to Alice Amanda Kelley.

147607.jpg.79d8ca32de0d4818492f247b9c52bf95.jpg

147608.jpg.8db35335f9c6c04897a91bef6f2942e6.jpg

I want to see this movie "Against All Flags" now, just for Dollface Dimples.

But also, the preview voice-overs are pretty funny:

During a shot panning across a harem of pretty women in skimpy outfits, the narrator says:

"A lot of beautiful girls, with nothing much on.....their minds..."

Then when we see Dollface Dimples, he says:

"Alice Kelley as the princess who had never seen a man before!"

Then she kisses him, heaving a sigh as if a whole new world of sensual experience is opening to her.

147609.jpg.3e1a29c3173f7a2bc2050432314e9ef9.jpg

147610.jpg.633b4bf35529db26a781ceeba12f5397.jpg