• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

Some forgotten columnist suggested that Marilyn "would look good wearing a potato sack!" The suggestion was obviously taken seriously by her publicists, and the results proved the columnist right...

MM007_zps1d5f91dd.jpg

Re: Teen-Age Romances 4: Yes, I do believe that's Miss Kelley, but I have serious doubts about TAR 6 being her.

I had been assuming they were the same model, perhaps from the same photo shoot. But looking at them closely, I can some differences, particularly with respect to the eyebrows. The TAR 6 model is also missing a mole, although perhaps that was airbrushed out. Of course, the eyebrows could also have been retouched. hm

That may not even be a mole, but just a spot of dirt on the book. Is that your copy? If so, take a real close look at that spot under a good light, and with a magnifying glass, if you have one.

If it IS a mole, that's a very important identifying feature, and we'd need to know about it.

Re: Teen-Age Romances 4: Yes, I do believe that's Miss Kelley, but I have serious doubts about TAR 6 being her.

I had been assuming they were the same model, perhaps from the same photo shoot. But looking at them closely, I can some differences, particularly with respect to the eyebrows. The TAR 6 model is also missing a mole, although perhaps that was airbrushed out. Of course, the eyebrows could also have been retouched. hm

That may not even be a mole, but just a spot of dirt on the book. Is that your copy? If so, take a real close look at that spot under a good light, and with a magnifying glass, if you have one.

If it IS a mole, that's a very important identifying feature, and we'd need to know about it.

Good call! That is my copy and it looks like a mole ...but it's actually dirt. It's not on the copy on GCD nor on a couple of other copies I found online.

Increases a bit the possibility of Ms Kelley also being the TAR 6 model. It would be a bit unusual to have two such similar models on the cover within the space of a couple of issues. And remember that TAR 5 is another of our "maybes" -- although, admittedly, I'm a bit skeptical of that one. It might make sense that they shot three covers with her in one session.

Good call! That is my copy and it looks like a mole ...but it's actually dirt. It's not on the copy on GCD nor on a couple of other copies I found online.

Increases a bit the possibility of Ms Kelley also being the TAR 6 model. It would be a bit unusual to have two such similar models on the cover within the space of a couple of issues. And remember that TAR 5 is another of our "maybes" -- although, admittedly, I'm a bit skeptical of that one. It might make sense that they shot three covers with her in one session.

I'm actually a bit relieved to hear that. A mole could seriously complicate the identification problem. It's an identifying mark, but you never know when or if a particular editor is going to deem it unsightly and have it airbrushed out.

Regardless, the bottom line is going to be finding a way to positively match her name to each particular photo. And I doubt that Blackwell Jr. was the only photographer to shoot her.

1135336005a_zps99109348.jpg

This is a blond or lighter-brown-haired woman, isn't it?

That's a good point. The model on the TAR 5 cover also has lighter hair. So, maybe it's Ms Kelley on TAR 4 and Model No. 2 on TAR 5 and 6. As Duke notes, though, without somehow finding records, we will probably be left guessing on many of these covers.

Remember, colors can always be manipulated by art directors. Again, I can't explain why I doubt this one. It's just an instant gut reaction. In all of the least distputed photos we have of Miss Kelley, she has an almost part-Egyptian or mediterranean look about her, as if one of her parents were of that descent. Does anyone else believe this, as well? Or is it just me? I mean, take another look at Campus Loves 3...

DimpleDoll022_zps419a9444.jpg

In this photo, she could be a full blooded Egyptian woman.

Remember, colors can always be manipulated by art directors. Again, I can't explain why I doubt this one. It's just an instant gut reaction. In all of the least distputed photos we have of Miss Kelley, she has an almost part-Egyptian or mediterranean look about her, as if one of her parents were of that descent. Does anyone else believe this, as well? Or is it just me? I mean, take another look at Campus Loves 3...

DimpleDoll022_zps419a9444.jpg

In this photo, she could be a full blooded Egyptian woman.

Could be the lighting, though. Some people of Irish extraction can be rather dark.

Look again at the Campus Loves 3 and the TAR 6. Don't they seem to be the same model?

Of course, we are probably just going to go around in circles on this.

Something that popped into my mind that I read about some years ago. Everyone is quick to see facial characteristics of parents in their children. Timmy has his dad's nose or Judy has her mom's eyes. There was a study done, though, in which photos of parents and their children were randomized. Strangers were then asked to match the parents with the children and, surprisingly, were unable to do so beyond chance level.

Something like this may be going on here. Because I'm inclined to believe the models in TAR 4 and 6 are the same person, I'm seeing similarities that may or may not actually be there.

Speaking of Alice, this may be my favorite cover of hers.

1135335011a_zps39a8918a.jpg

Did we also already flag this one as hers? (Not only am I too lazy to do my own research, I'm too lazy to even check after other people have done research!)

Note how CGC missed the boat on labeling these books as having Baker art -- two stories each, in fact.

Since this thread started, I've been educating myself on facial recognition. Based on what I've learned about the reliability of comparing ears, check out the lobes on these covers. They don't match at all. These are 2 different women.

Speaking of Alice, this may be my favorite cover of hers.

1135335011a_zps39a8918a.jpg

Did we also already flag this one as hers? (Not only am I too lazy to do my own research, I'm too lazy to even check after other people have done research!)

Note how CGC missed the boat on labeling these books as having Baker art -- two stories each, in fact.

Since this thread started, I've been educating myself on facial recognition. Based on what I've learned about the reliability of comparing ears, check out the lobes on these covers. They don't match at all. These are 2 different women.

You are probably right, but we are seeing the ear from such different angles in the two photos that it's just possible they are the same.

This post may be about as OT as it gets around here, but this time of the year is always so bittersweet, to me. I'll tell you why.

First, a personal hero of mine died on May 31st, 1996. Timothy Leary was the reluctant figurehead for the drug counterculture of the '60's. (That's not why he's one of my heroes, though.) The guy also happened to be a *spoon*ing genius. Later in life, he began to focus his attentions on such monumental and far-reaching subjects as the dismal future of man's natural evolution on this "prison planet" (and what we'd need to do about it)... life extension through gene manipulation technologies that were already being developed in the '70's and '80's, doubtless perfected by now (not that you'll ever see a TV commercial or documentary about them)... and space migration; an absolute necessity if mankind ever wants to achieve his greatest genetic potential and true immortality. (Besides, planets don't last forever.)

I'll bet by now I've lost 80% of my readers. No matter. Like Don Martin, I'll Forge a Head.

Then, of course, there's June 1st. Marilyn Monroe's birthday. Did she commit suicide, or was she assassinated by the Kennedy administration for sleeping with both John F. and Robert, and then threatening to go public with some very sensitive info she'd been privy to, if Robert broke off their relationship?

You know, I don't know. I don't care. She's gone, whatever the reason was. It was a big mess at the time, and a lot of things could have happened. I do know this much- earlier, on the day she died, she was given tranquilizers by her personal physician, and also given sedatives by her personal psychiatrist, but there had been no communication between those two doctors! Her death, in actuality, may have just been a stupid mistake, an innocent, lethal drug interaction, and nothing more. (Convenient as hell for the Kennedys, but a simple mistake, nonetheless.)

I kinda like to think that's all it really was... and then just move on to simply adoring her for who she was in life, and for what she left us.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Then, we come to June 3rd, 1992, and the passing of William M. Gaines. Everybody on this forum owes an enormous debt of gratitude to this guy, and I doubt I need to spend much time explaining why. Besides the great EC line, and Bill's numerous battles in defense of comics in general, and of First Amendment rights in particular, it was MAD magazine that almost single-handedly defined for our culture the kind of irreverent satire that is popular today. May Fredric Wertham turn over in his grave every time someone speaks the name of Bill Gaines.

And that's why this time of the year is always bittersweet to me. But June is sure a lovely month, and the scent of lilacs never fails to instantly take me back to my childhood neighborhood...

"Psyche" (1980) by Barry Windsor Smith

MM014_zps8ad835a9.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog