• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

DimpleDoll049_maybe_zps6d2fbd51.jpg

Doohickamabob brought that one up about a week ago, and I'd already been debating it, myself. It certainly could be Alice. Something about it, maybe just a general overall impression, makes me think it might be another girl. But I just added it to the album as a "maybe"... (we already have a few others in there that are being debated, anyway).

Here's another one I've included as a "maybe"...

DimpleDoll051b_maybe_zpsb33ea8c9.jpg

I've been wanting to find a copy of this book for a long time. Low grade, but as they say beggars can't be choosers. True to Life Romances 11

$_57.JPG

Edited by Rip

I've been wanting to find a copy of this book for a long time. Low grade, but as they say beggars can't be choosers. True to Life Romances 11

$_57.JPG

Nice. I've thought about collecting a sub-category; "In Front of the Fireplace" covers. There are really quite a few of them in romance comics.

gs12_zpsf95d91e8.jpg

tar45a_zpsb8ab0af6.jpg

Not to change the subject from fireplace covers (which are fascinating by themselves) but look at this closing amount for a book I placed one bid on...it finished at $1,725! I think this qualifies as one of the rarer romance books:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151347407660&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:US:3160&autorefresh=true

What the heck? Is the winning bidder "s***s" a Mr. Moneybags? Holy crud! And I thought I might go as high as $225, but questioned the sanity of that much for that book... (shrug)

Edited by tricolorbrian

I must admit that copy of Romantic Adventures #50 was so clean & striking that I almost bid on it myself. The back might have hindered grade, but the front is pretty sweet.

According to the bid history, the book would have topped out at around $600, if it not for 2 snipes set for around $1700.

Edited by MBFan

I must admit that copy of Romantic Adventures #50 was so clean & striking that I almost bid on it myself. The back might have hindered grade, but the front is pretty sweet.

According to the bid history, the book would have topped out at around $600, if it not for 2 snipes set for around $1700.

Hope those snipers are content with paying that(and not a case of "no one will ever bid that high"). And if so, we may have a new 'contender' for the most valuable romance comic in the making. :o

Hope those snipers are content with paying that(and not a case of "no one will ever bid that high"). And if so, we may have a new 'contender' for the most valuable romance comic in the making. :o

Right. It might be a case of what someone referred to as "atomic bomb bids" colliding. I knew that book -- like most ACG romance books -- is hard to find in nice condition. But I didn't think it was a book anyone was willing to pay that kind of money for.

Doohickamabob brought that one up about a week ago, and I'd already been debating it, myself. It certainly could be Alice. Something about it, maybe just a general overall impression, makes me think it might be another girl.

DukeDog!!!!

What's this "debating it" stuff? What's this "might be another girl" stuff?

Do you not see the.........

148632.jpg.e0feb921e57b5af3921cc3d6911ee892.jpg

Doohickamabob brought that one up about a week ago, and I'd already been debating it, myself. It certainly could be Alice. Something about it, maybe just a general overall impression, makes me think it might be another girl.

DukeDog!!!!

What's this "debating it" stuff? What's this "might be another girl" stuff?

Do you not see the.........

"The woman has dimples, therefore she must be Alice"?

hm

I'm just trying to err on the side of caution.

DimpleDoll055_maybe_zps830b6724.jpg

Here's another one I just found... and it's that same male model, making for about half a dozen covers we've got so far, with that same couple. But this is the best example of a clear, forward facing view of this woman, smiling. I've placed it side by side with a comparable view of a picture we've agreed is Alice.

DimpleDoll055b_comparison_zpsf2da1bcd.jpg

Are these both pictures of the same woman? The answer to this question will either confirm or dismiss at least half a dozen other photos that are currently subject to debate.