• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

Now we've got some juices flowin! :banana:

Great books you guys.

pumpkn - life is a challenge when you're a completist. But you not only get the books, you get them in great shape. :applause: the pulps are awesome. Did you ever get the Sex, Marriage and Love Customs Around the World? that's one pulp I'd pay a pretty penny for

damon - wow, that's fresh from Sarasota eh? white pages too! looks better than the grade, were you happy?

1135343008a_zps1a3b2e8d.jpg

Sqeggs! Beat me by that much on that book. I knew I should have bumped $100 on that snipe. I think I could have had you at $130. Dang! Sparkle Sunday nights, good times. Where did they go, my friend? I'd thought they'd never end.

I certainly wish I could have some of their Baker auctions back! I still think they made a mistake in listing so many Bakers in so short a period. I know they could have gotten more out of me -- in bids if not bucks -- if they had spread them out over a little longer period.

Great books you guys.

pumpkn - life is a challenge when you're a completist. But you not only get the books, you get them in great shape. :applause: the pulps are awesome. Did you ever get the Sex, Marriage and Love Customs Around the World? that's one pulp I'd pay a pretty penny for

damon - wow, that's fresh from Sarasota eh? white pages too! looks better than the grade, were you happy?

Thanks guys! I have those issues scanned because I was getting them donw for the Fantagraphics book or I picked them up somewhat recently. I started scanning my Cole collection (which pretty much is my GA collection) and I think I stopped alphabetically around H or I. So I haven't gotten to all of my TTLR or Top Love or Popular Teen-Agers, let alone School Day Romances or a few other titles.

No, I haven't found a copy of Sex, Marriage and Love Customs Around the World yet. :( The last one on ebay went for stupid $$$ and I think I had just picked up a few other books. I've done good this year though, a bunch of HTF books including a Suspense #4 so I can't complain!

I happen to think these 2 are pretty rare:

14949w8.jpg

27yd8cz.jpg

Great books you guys.

I was happy. I sent two in, and figured both were 8.0 +/-. The other was graded 7.5 white with less of a miswrap.

Great books you guys.

Thanks guys! I have those issues scanned because I was getting them donw for the Fantagraphics book or I picked them up somewhat recently. I started scanning my Cole collection (which pretty much is my GA collection) and I think I stopped alphabetically around H or I. So I haven't gotten to all of my TTLR or Top Love or Popular Teen-Agers, let alone School Day Romances or a few other titles.

No, I haven't found a copy of Sex, Marriage and Love Customs Around the World yet. :( The last one on ebay went for stupid $$$ and I think I had just picked up a few other books. I've done good this year though, a bunch of HTF books including a Suspense #4 so I can't complain!

I happen to think these 2 are pretty rare:

14949w8.jpg

27yd8cz.jpg

Cool books and I don't think I've seen the #2 before.

If anyone has a nice one of these I'd love the chance to wrest it from your collection. Please PM me!

RomanticMarriage81951a_zps19f98a55.jpg

Love that cover!

RomanticMarriage8.jpg

Who did that cover?

I would guess Norman Saunders

Great cover. I want one.

Norm Saunders :luhv: what a genius

He did #3 and 4 so you'd think, right? Anyways, i was just on the Norm Saunders site (put up by his son) and there's a comic books index and the #8 isn't there. I guess his son would know.

Norman Saunders

Cool books and I don't think I've seen the #2 before.

I've seen a high grade CGC one pop up on ebay that doesn't sell, so it can be cound but it took me forever to get my copy. I didn't want to settle for that crease but after I bought a #1 I settled on maybe upgrading someday.

This is the only copy I've seen of this book:

24xnjt2.jpg

If anyone has a nice one of these I'd love the chance to wrest it from your collection. Please PM me!

Love that cover!

RomanticMarriage8.jpg

Who did that cover?

I think it likely that Allan Anderson painted as he was one of the main cover artists for the Ziff-Davis line. I can't be sure as it was not included in the list that David Saunders put together in his article on Anderson.

He did #3 and 4 so you'd think, right? Anyways, i was just on the Norm Saunders site (put up by his son) and there's a comic books index and the #8 isn't there. I guess his son would know.

Norman Saunders

It would not be Norm Saunders as his painting texture is much rougher. Anderson's is smoother. Saunders = gritty, Anderson = pretty

There are many similarities between the two as they shared a studio and used the same models. Also, Anderson was very much influenced by Saunders' style.

Norman Saunders

I have that book, it's mostly pulp covers and a few comics.

Another favorite of mine by him (I'm assuming) is G.I. Joe #35

I bought this one in Philly for $2. Not my copy:

1514986-32.jpg

Look at the guy. The story splash is the same as the cover with more dialogue, and if you can't tell from his eyes he's totally $hitfaced. Completely hysterical.

Btw below is a self-portrait of the great and under-appreciated Ogden Whitney

I'll take this one off your hands

Lovelorn52_zps1dbb6d3e.jpg

The next issue was also interesting. ACG was kinda confusing with the series name being out of whack with the covers during certain parts of the run. I think these are actually "Lovelorns" rather than "Confessions of the Loverlorns" hm

T2eC16ZsE9swm08eBRT2IBISH60_57_zps34e24c6e.jpg