• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,491 posts in this topic

I looked up GCD (comics.org). They have a Simon attribution on there. But who knows ...?!

It doesn't really matter, I just like the book. :)

You are probably right. If so, I wish Simon had done more covers like that. Seems much better to me than the S&K romance covers of earlier years.

Harley helped make me the Dr. Love I am today. My first romance purchases were from him. My subsequent raids on his inventory formed the foundation of my collection, particularly on my Quality run. 700 books from him, I think, over a period of maybe 4 years. Not cheap though. Forget the Guide. A VF/NM book from the 50's didn't go for less than a certain amount - period.

Great guy. In a business filled with characters, he stands out - in a good way. Fun to mimic, too. Get a few comic guys in a room, and suddenly say "ok everybody do Harley". Funny don't cover it by half!

On the Charltons, the ones that are vaguely Colletta are usually pencilled by Joe Sinnott. At least the figures. The other stylistic elements that can be seen over and over - the flowers and particularly the cumulus clouds - are pure Colletta.

Thanks, Doc! :)

Harley helped make me the Dr. Love I am today. My first romance purchases were from him. My subsequent raids on his inventory formed the foundation of my collection, particularly on my Quality run. 700 books from him, I think, over a period of maybe 4 years. Not cheap though. Forget the Guide. A VF/NM book from the 50's didn't go for less than a certain amount - period.

Great guy. In a business filled with characters, he stands out - in a good way. Fun to mimic, too. Get a few comic guys in a room, and suddenly say "ok everybody do Harley". Funny don't cover it by half!

I fondly remember Harley's trips to London. He'd let you take a big stack of books home overnight and didn't blink when you said "I'll take this one, Harley."

I think the only place he hasn't sold comics is Antarctica - and he'd go there too if they had a mart.

Am I correct in thinking his web site is now defunct?

What better name for a Romance Comic than the immortal words "I LOVE YOU"?!

(Hmmm, is this Colletta?).

JIchU5s.jpg

Kind of looks the same as this artist, who I'm pretty sure isn't Colletta.

T2eC16VyMFIcv1K1BSN5tVHY60_57_zps4063aad7.jpg

This cover was a swipe of Baker's Teen-Age Romances 43 cover.

Giordano?

I fondly remember Harley's trips to London. He'd let you take a big stack of books home overnight and didn't blink when you said "I'll take this one, Harley."

I think the only place he hasn't sold comics is Antarctica - and he'd go there too if they had a mart.

Am I correct in thinking his web site is now defunct?

Yes, his web site has been down for quite awhile. He stopped selling on eBay a year or two ago as well, so I think he's just selling at cons now.

Unfortunately, high quality romance is hard to come by over here in Scotland, so when something "real purty" catches your eye you just grab it and try and overlook the creases and wrinkles.

Anyway... one of the Colletta covers in my collection:

photo Colletta1_zpsa3ar7eqo.jpg

I love this cover as it puts me in mind of Columbo giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to Rita Hayworth.

Not Colletta, but I'm all for this cover...

photo Love2_zpsemidcnir.jpg

Unfortunately, high quality romance is hard to come by over here in Scotland, so when something "real purty" catches your eye you just grab it and try and overlook the creases and wrinkles.

I love this cover as it puts me in mind of Columbo giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to Rita Hayworth.

Two great books!

What better name for a Romance Comic than the immortal words "I LOVE YOU"?!

(Hmmm, is this Colletta?).

JIchU5s.jpg

Kind of looks the same as this artist, who I'm pretty sure isn't Colletta.

T2eC16VyMFIcv1K1BSN5tVHY60_57_zps4063aad7.jpg

This cover was a swipe of Baker's Teen-Age Romances 43 cover.

Giordano?

Good one. I think you're right.

Two great books!

Now that's certainly an image ... !!! lol

Very nice books, by the way!