• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

Hey BZ, what a pleasant surprise to see you here! Romance buyers - They Walk Among Us. lol

The Wartime Romances, followed with a couple of DC post code?! What else is waiting in those stacks that you've forgotten about? hm

I checked the "L" stack and came up with these examples.

I've tried to acquire at lease one or two issues of all the different titles.

lovecomics.jpg

Here's the Ace Romance output for March 1952 (no surprise here). You'll see that those Glamorous and Real Love covers are really special and well worth presenting here so thanks Dr. Love for showcasing your beautiful copies. The single female headshot is really winning on those covers for its simplicity unlike the "couple" covers seen below.

Complete%20Love%20162_zpsedzp2v10.jpg

Glamorous%20Romances%2059_zpsctn7x19y.jpg

Love%20Experiences%2011_zpsofglymis.jpg

That was a good month! Thanks Scrooge, that's a very cool set.

I like the whole Ace line (279 issues) - they mixed it up with photos (55%), line drawn (20%), and painted covers (25%). Only Lev Gleason did the same. Well, maybe a case could be made for Avon, too - but they were predominately painted covers.

Ace's painted covers were reprints of their pulp line, specifically the romance titles. Avon's were too, but I think it was their crime titles, from their paperback series? Gleason had original work from Fujitani and Tauss. I'll get to them a little later.

Scrooge was right - every photo and line drawn have the same theme - the embrace. Repeated over and over in fascinating variety. Passion is the main thing. But the painted covers showcase a sole woman, with many moods on display, from sultry vamp to girl next door. Here's another great cover - essentially Complete Love #1, though it's not numbered as such.

CompleteLove158fc_zpsucgoxkkc.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

Here's the Real-Life Secrets #1 that Sagii referred to.

RealLifeSecrets01fc_zps6ym3fjqd.jpg

It is a bit different in that it is a painted cover featuring a couple. Embracing, of course! Out of the 66 painted covers, only 9 had a couple shot. Here are two of them. I particularly like the Love Experiences #6. It's got that great pulp glow, I don't know how else to describe that particularly warm palette.

RealLove44fc_zps0cpdaal4.jpg

LoveExperiences03fc_zpsfijwldla.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love