• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fett said:

picked these up the other night-impulse buys -never realized Harvey romance had such striking covers. GCD says Warren Kremer.

Hi-SchoolRomance021.jpg

Hi-SchoolRomance029.jpg

Hi-SchoolRomance031.jpg

Harvey has some pretty affordable but lurid romance covers.  Like their pre-code horror books, Harvey romance is picking up steam in my opinion so a good buy.  

On 9/19/2017 at 6:02 AM, fett said:

picked these up the other night-impulse buys -never realized Harvey romance had such striking covers. GCD says Warren Kremer.

Hi-SchoolRomance021.jpg

Hi-SchoolRomance029.jpg

Hi-SchoolRomance031.jpg

Not a fan of most of the Hi-School Romance covers, but there are nice.

On 9/18/2017 at 4:03 PM, Sqeggs said:

Bought this one raw on a eBay a couple of years ago.  Happy with how it came out.  Very nice copy apart from the dust shadow along the spine and some spine wear. Pretty tough book to find in decent shape.

2017-09-18-0001_zpsdt2ucpvf.jpg

Nice copy. I recall a friend of mine picking up a VG copy of this for fifty cents back in the early 90s at a con we went to. I offered him a buck but he wouldn't sell. I should have made it two.

20 hours ago, comicjack said:

Like it (thumbsu

Another one from the same artist

Scan0010_zpsqunkft09.jpg

Stunning cover. Need it!! :) Original for this sold in the Heritage archive several years ago. Missed out on a copy this weekend. 

16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not a fan of most of the Hi-School Romance covers, but there are nice.

I was in the same boat until a couple of weeks ago. :) Just realized this is the same artist that drew Richie Rich. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

nice ones Fett - cover girls, Harvey style!

true, the Harveys had many less than exciting covers but, on the other hand, in those loooong runs there are books by Elias and Kremer and Avison some rough pencils by the King

gems hidden in the rough

Elias

FirstLove19fc100_zps1aor4iwk.jpg

Kirby

firstlove68fc100_zpsekeagyws.jpg

Never been an Elias fan and his romance covers don't do it for me.  Much as I love Kirby and much as I recognize his role in getting the romance genre started, his romance books are way down my list.

As I've thought about why, I guess what I love about Kirby's SA Marvel work is how he composed his action panels, how he drew monsters/aliens, and the detail on many of his backgrounds (structures, weird machines, etc.).  With romance, what counted was skill in drafting human figures.  I now realize that just wasn't Kirby's strong point.  His women, in particular, are rarely well done.  That's an issue when you're drawing romance books!

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

As I've thought about why, I guess what I love about Kirby's SA Marvel work is how he composed his action panels, how he drew monsters/aliens, and the detail on many of his backgrounds (structures, weird machines, etc.).  With romance, what counted was skill in drafting human figures.  I now realize that just wasn't Kirby's strong point.  His women, in particular, are rarely well done.  That's an issue when you're drawing romance books!

I used to think the same thing about the Kirby romance books until I read the stories in the 2 volumes of Young Romance by Fantagraphics. 

I thought the stories and art were great.

Like you mentioned, Kirby was definitely not Baker or Colletta in the female department and I could see people not being able to get over that. 

While reading the stories though, the stiff, brooding creepiness of his females started to grow on me and I ended up liking them (similar to the early FF Sue Storm). Now if only they were cheaper.

If you like Matt Baker's covers, even the non-romance ones, and you haven't voted in our poll to rank the ballot of 18 covers selected by boardies...  

...please do so!  At this time we only need about 7 or 8 more voters to complete our goal and our poll.  The candidates are listed below.  We want you to rank this list according to your favorites, and PM the results to tabcom, the poll master.  I'll provide a link to the thread, too.  

Amazing Ghost Stories 14
Authentic Police Cases 6
Cinderella Love 25
Diary Secrets 26
Giant Comics Editions 12
Going Steady 10
Jo Jo 25
Phantom Lady 16
Phantom Lady 17
Phantom Lady 18
Phantom Lady 23
Seven Seas 4