• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Traded for these the other day

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nicely done, sir! 

There are 21 romance stories Everett did for Timely/Atlas.  Love Tales 50 has a signed Everett, and it's a special one:  "When A WOMAN Fights Back!".  It has a classic Everett haymaker panel, but this is one is different, as seen below.  Romance catfight panels are far and few between - this is the best one imho. Hair pulling is a bonus panel!

LoveTales50_catfight_zpsem3fgh67.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

There are 21 romance stories Everett did for Timely/Atlas. 

A list I carry everywhere with me so I don't miss a chance to grab those books.

Here's another Everett Romance (non-Atlas). Check out the details in clothing ... and that silverware in bottom right panel :luhv:

LoveDiary10Page5s.jpg

Edited by Scrooge

9 hours ago, Scrooge said:

A list I carry everywhere with me so I don't miss a chance to grab those books.

Here's another Everett Romance (non-Atlas). Check out the details in clothing ... and that silverware in bottom right panel :luhv:

LoveDiary10Page5s.jpg

:x

12 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Nicely done, sir! 

There are 21 romance stories Everett did for Timely/Atlas.  Love Tales 50 has a signed Everett, and it's a special one:  "When A WOMAN Fights Back!".  It has a classic Everett haymaker panel, but this is one is different, as seen below.  Romance catfight panels are far and few between - this is the best one imho. Hair pulling is a bonus panel!

LoveTales50_catfight_zpsem3fgh67.jpg

I don't do a lot of commenting here, but I couldn't let this one slip by...  Love Tales 50 was the first romance comic I ever bought!  When I was growing up in the 1980s my local, small-town comic shop didn't get many back issues older than the mid-60s (if they did, the owner usually kept them for himself), but this showed up in their bins one day for $2.75.  Even though I didn't think I was interested in romance comics I picked it up, as I did any 10c comics that became available.

This story - and this exact page in particular! - are what made me thing "Gee, maybe I've been wrong about these romance comics all along....".  I have been picking them up and enjoying them ever since - I now have over 3000 romance comics.  Not all of them have given me the same "wow!" experience as this issue, but I keep 'chasing the dragon' all the same! 

It was great seeing this page again, what a nice surprise!  You never forget your first - especially when they are as great as this one!

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

One of the top 10 romance collectors in the country Say what? 

Don't be a stranger, Ed!  Welcome to the Boards, and to the Romance thread in particular! 

Yes, welcome, and thank you and Dr Love for the kind words and insights on my acquisition. I had recently picked up an OO Silver Age Marvel collection, kept a handful and shared most of the rest here on the boards via a sale thread. A handful of minor keys were passed on, so I bundled them to an LCS whom I knew would find them right in his wheelhouse. Turned them into a handful of GA including these. I plan to enjoy them a bit but they may be part of my read and release program; depends on a balance of how much they grow on me (so far, quite a bit) and how much I am asked to lay out in two weeks for the small (20 books) GA pile that is to be offered to me. The guy "thinks" he has a Green Hornet #1 but I am expecting to see the Dell FC book or the Gold Key. If it's actually the Holyoke, I expect to be digging deeper. 

Get your Bronze on, GA fans.  Charlie Armentano drew only two things as a comic book artist - this front cover and the back cover to DC Super Spectacular 5.  More than that I can't find out.

When I was going about choosing the image I wanted Ryan Heshka to do for me, this was one I was considering.

SuperDCGiant_S21fc100_zpswmvr5amj.jpg