• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Won this raw on eBay from a former boardie, who graded it a 6.0.  But for $17 (including postage), I probably shouldn't complain. CGC missed crediting Cole on the label.

2017-10-09-0001_zpstzkseajl.jpg

Nice 'moody' cover. New one to me. :headbang:

41 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Just happy to have a copy of this one.  Toughest of the four issue run?

Congrats!!

In my view, #12 has the rep as the toughest of the 4 issues. That's certainly been my experience...I've owned 3 copies of #11 (down to only 1 copy now :grin: ), but I've only managed to ever snag one single copy of #12. Having said that, I wouldn't want to try to find another #11 again, either. :D

34 minutes ago, edowens71 said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Just happy to have a copy of this one.  Toughest of the four issue run?

Congrats!!

In my view, #12 has the rep as the toughest of the 4 issues. That's certainly been my experience...I've owned 3 copies of #11 (down to only 1 copy now :grin: ), but I've only managed to ever snag one single copy of #12. Having said that, I wouldn't want to try to find another #11 again, either. :D

Makes sense.  That's the one I'm missing.  I thought for some reason that there were significantly more copies of 12 on the census than 11, but it turns out that the count is:

11 -- 5
12 -- 7

So Edgar appears not to have picked up a copy of any of them. hm

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo fixing

45 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Beauty.  If you ever want to sell that beauty please let me know before Rick gets wind of it.

A keeper unless I can locate an upgrade ... which doesn't seem imminent! 

#11 was the hardest for me to find. I ended up with multiples of all issues except #11 as I bought several of them in groups. Nothing is in high grade. I do believe I bought every issue that I ever saw for sale of this run as I was trying to put it together. None of the issues were that easy to find.

YV9gE6.jpg

Really like this cover.

lf_zpsmejxtbup.JPG

Seems to be some debate over who drew it:  Colletta, Hartley, Romita?  I vote for Colletta, in part because it closely resembles this issue, which is definitely Colletta since he signed it!

2017-07-15-0001_zpspo3xejuu.jpg

Edited by Sqeggs

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Really like this cover.

lf_zpsmejxtbup.JPG

Seems to be some debate over who drew it:  Colletta, Hartley, Romita?  I vote for Colletta, in part because it closely resembles this issue, which is definitely Colletta since he signed it!

Like them both

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Really like this cover.

lf_zpsmejxtbup.JPG

A great book  (thumbsu

Romita did no Atlas romance covers.  Hartley, who followed Chris Rule and did the most incredible cover run from '52 to '54, was off the covers by the summer of '54. 

Colletta it is. :acclaim:

That My Own Romance 43 is superb.  Someone had been experimenting with that heavier shading technique, maybe it was started by Hartley and Pike, but by this time Colletta was beginning to really own it.  If he signed the cover generally he penciled and inked it.  These covers are treasures.

13 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

A great book  (thumbsu

Romita did no Atlas romance covers.  Hartley, who followed Chris Rule and did the most incredible cover run from '52 to '54, was off the covers by the summer of '54. 

Colletta it is. :acclaim:

That My Own Romance 43 is superb.  Someone had been experimenting with that heavier shading technique, maybe it was started by Hartley and Pike, but by this time Colletta was beginning to really own it.  If he signed the cover generally he penciled and inked it.  These covers are treasures.

And CGC leaves him off the label.  The man don't get no respect, I tell ya.