• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,490 posts in this topic

Just now, sagii said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Interesting cover on this one.

2017-07-20-0001_zpsb8jxtcdu.jpg

This one is now on the want list! (thumbsu

I hope you can track one down.  This is the only copy I've ever seen. 

GCD credits John Prentice with the cover.  Aspects of it sure seem Kirbyish to me, although it's clearly not all by him. hm

On 7/15/2017 at 2:44 PM, Sqeggs said:

Indicating the weirdness of GA publishers attempting to hoodwink the post office, this series was a continuation of Zegra.  Of course, both series did feature wild behavior. hm

2017-07-15-0002_zpshyplzrvd.jpg

Great cover. I've never seen this one before. 

I added this book to my want list after seeing Bo_Hogg's copy from the first post of this thread (back cover is purple). 

I got a copy a while ago but just noticed that Bo_Hogg's pics were wiped out by Photobucket. Hopefully they'll eventually get reposted because it would be a shame for the boards to lose a record of all the rare items he's posted through the years.

Romantic Marriage #10.JPG

Romantic Marriage #10 (back cover).JPG

41 minutes ago, damonwad said:

I added this book to my want list after seeing Bo_Hogg's copy from the first post of this thread (back cover is purple). 

I got a copy a while ago but just noticed that Bo_Hogg's pics were wiped out by Photobucket. Hopefully they'll eventually get reposted because it would be a shame for the boards to lose a record of all the rare items he's posted through the years.

Romantic Marriage #10.JPG

Romantic Marriage #10 (back cover).JPG

Nice!  Of course, St John eventually picked up this series form Ziff-Davis and Baker contributed covers to the last two issues.

19 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice!  Of course, St John eventually picked up this series form Ziff-Davis and Baker contributed covers to the last two issues.

Thanks for the info.

I have a beat up #23 but didn't realize the St. John's were a continuation of the Ziff-Davis series. GCD shows a year gap between the end of the Z-D run and the St. John's.

9 minutes ago, damonwad said:

Thanks for the info.

I have a beat up #23 but didn't realize the St. John's were a continuation of the Ziff-Davis series. GCD shows a year gap between the end of the Z-D run and the St. John's.

I assume that St John picked up the series because their run starts with issue 18 and Z-D's run ends with 17.  Also, the "Romantic Marriage" banner at the top is the same on the StJ issues as it was on the Z-D issues.  A lot of interesting covers among the issues from both publishers.

On 7/20/2017 at 5:16 PM, Sqeggs said:

I hope you can track one down.  This is the only copy I've ever seen. 

GCD credits John Prentice with the cover.  Aspects of it sure seem Kirbyish to me, although it's clearly not all by him. hm

Never seen this one. Love these '50's Juvinile Delinquent covers. Wertham must have loved them.

comtalesofjustice67.jpg

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I assume that St John picked up the series because their run starts with issue 18 and Z-D's run ends with 17.  Also, the "Romantic Marriage" banner at the top is the same on the StJ issues as it was on the Z-D issues.  A lot of interesting covers among the issues from both publishers.

I agree, some nice covers.

Also, per GCD, I see that the St. John #23 and #24 reprint stories from the Z-D #15 and #16.

11 hours ago, damonwad said:

I agree, some nice covers.

Also, per GCD, I see that the St. John #23 and #24 reprint stories from the Z-D #15 and #16.

In the late going, St John seems to have kept the company going by slapping new covers (in many cases, some of Baker's best, imo) on reprinted material. 

GA noob here; wasn't sure where to post this so pre-apologies.

Saw this while flipping through a box of early Romance.

1. Why the weird numbering for this title?

2. I definitely like the librarian painted cover, but is there any value to this one?

Cinderella Love #2

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

GA noob here; wasn't sure where to post this so pre-apologies.

Saw this while flipping through a box of early Romance.

1. Why the weird numbering for this title?

2. I definitely like the librarian painted cover, but is there any value to this one?

Cinderella Love #2

Ziff-Davis started the series and then sold it to St John, who had two series (with different numbers).  Yeah, it's a bit confusing!

That copy is the second of the Ziff-Davis issues (maybe they were picking up the numbering from a different (discontinued) series or maybe they were trying to disguise from the postal authorities that they had started a new series).  It has a Norman Saunders painted cover, which might attract some interest.  But my impression is that a mid-grade copy like that one probably wouldn't sell for much.  

25 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

(cross-posted from the EC thread)

Thanks to a fortuitous purchase at SDCC, I was finally able to complete this tough 3-issue mini-run in grade.

SaddleTrio.png

Love EC romance.  Such tough books.