• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

REAL SECRETS #4 -The Couple

The only issue in the run, (if you don't count the one shot former title issue) to feature a couple. Striking reds on this one. I have reason to believe this is the 'Crippen copy', but the slab folks will have the final say on that when i submit them later this week. I used the Metro scan for this post.

Real%20Secrets%204%20D%20copy_zpshb2jy5ly.jpg

I'm curious, what makes you think it is the Crippen copy? I purchased a number of Ace romance Crippens from Metro. They were noted as such and I made sure I had a note from them. I found mine in a previous raw lot on ha.com. I assume Metro won the auction and marked them up for resale but of course they could have come by them another way. Yours may be traceable back to Heritage as well

Yours may be traceable back to Heritage as well

The distinctive top right corner makes it traceable beyond a doubt. I would think there will be no trouble with CGC if you include a photocopy of the HA listing with the submit. Lot #16399 from Auction #17021 in 2007.

I was the underbidder for issues #2 and #3. Crippens were going off every dang weekend and I had to draw the line on price somewhere, and on these lots I drew it where they crossed $300 - and so lost.

And you are correct, Metro was the bidder on more than a few of the raw less expensive Crippen. The books would show up on their site about a month after the auction.

and btw Mike congrats on that highest graded Romantic Adventures 49 I spy in your sig line. Outstanding! a submit of yours, I'm assuming. :applause:

Edited by Dr. Love

Really thought this one would grade higher. Presents really well, as the saying goes. :D

e3d6a792-13e2-4074-a9fe-ea4ac9f06f17_zpsvspwc6uc.jpg

Eh who cares about the grade? it looks great! that was jimbo's right?

No, it's another copy. I think Jimbo still has his. Really tough book that's worth what he is asking for it ... whatever it is! :D

Really thought this one would grade higher. Presents really well, as the saying goes. :D

No, it's another copy. I think Jimbo still has his. Really tough book that's worth what he is asking for it ... whatever it is! :D

BEEELIONS :cloud9: .......looks like you were robbed on yours..... but like Doc said..... you got one, and it looks great. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

highest graded Romantic Adventures 49 I spy in your sig line. Outstanding! a submit of yours, I'm assuming. :applause:

Yes, sir. I believe it was the first graded. Bought it raw on eBay years ago. Wonder if there are any peds of this book hm

If you have a larger scan of it, it would be a pleasure to see!

BEEELIONS :cloud9: .......looks like you were robbed on yours..... but like Doc said..... you got one, and it looks great. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:gossip: Add 20% now that I've heated it up for you.

highest graded Romantic Adventures 49 I spy in your sig line. Outstanding! a submit of yours, I'm assuming. :applause:

Yes, sir. I believe it was the first graded. Bought it raw on eBay years ago. Wonder if there are any peds of this book hm

Sure thing. It was actually reprinted in Weird Love #11 which was in comic shops last week or the week before.

ra49a_zpsf5201bda.jpg

rom013.1949.no049.c01.g65b_zpsp76utflq.jpg

Sure thing. It was actually reprinted in Weird Love #11 which was in comic shops last week or the week before.

ra49a_zpsf5201bda.jpg

rom013.1949.no049.c01.g65b_zpsp76utflq.jpg

:applause: Very nice!

I was not familiar with Al Hartley's work outside of his late 50's/early 60's Marvel/Atlas work, which, while certainly technically proficient and professional, seemed to lack, for me anyway, a hint of sexuality to it.

But I just sold a book on eBay, My Own Romance #23, and in looking through it and checking the info on GCD, found that Hartley had did the art on the first story "The Prince and the Playgirl' (and cover). (Job A-454 according to atlas tales.com)

And... well... it appears quite a bit different than what I had previously seen.Now I'm sort of wishing that I'd kept this book! lol

It's pre-code, so... maybe he changed his style, or was asked to tone it down, or....

Anyway, thought I'd get some experts opinion on it here!

MyOwnRomance23a_zpsar3tzty4.jpeg

MyOwnRomance23b_zps5loiiqle.jpeg

MyOwnRomance23c_zps6lsa6wf5.jpeg

MyOwnRomance23d_zpsfzh9vxuh.jpeg

MyOwnRomance23e_zpsyawxjieh.jpeg