• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Shrevvy said:
23 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

One of the two, I believe, double page spreads in romance comics.  Kirby originated the technique in Cap America 6.

Nice delicate job by Fred Kida.

LoversLane_zpsdklqhisr.jpg

What comic is this from?

Lovers' Lane #2, Dec., 1949  :gossip:

3 hours ago, sagii said:

...a book I started to sell a few months ago to fund something else, but every time I looked at it I remembered why i bought it to begin with. Doesn't hurt that it's highest graded (for now), and these L.B. Cole Star Comics seem to top out at about this certified grade on the whole from my observations. The detail and color on the woman in the backgrounds dress is just :luhv:

True to Life Romances #20.jpg

Wow, beautiful cover and quite right, never seen it before.  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, sagii said:

...a book I started to sell a few months ago to fund something else, but every time I looked at it I remembered why i bought it to begin with. Doesn't hurt that it's highest graded (for now), and these L.B. Cole Star Comics seem to top out at about this certified grade on the whole from my observations. The detail and color on the woman in the backgrounds dress is just :luhv:

A cigarette is always a symbol of a "bad girl".

On 1/22/2019 at 5:47 PM, 29dukedog said:
On 1/22/2019 at 5:27 PM, Sqeggs said:

This is her, too, right?

cam3.6a.jpg

Yes, in fact this is the only comic we know of so far that gives the cover model credit by name.  This is the book that finally allowed us to ID Miss Kelley, a few years back, before we comic geeks knew who she was.

You did some excellent research on her a few years ago.  I know you've got a great collection of her covers.  Do you think you have them all? Iirc, there was another cover model of the time who somewhat resembles her, making exact IDs on some covers a bit difficult. 

8 hours ago, sagii said:

Knock out copy of a very tough book. So tough to find these in higher grades.  Were there Crippen or Church copies of these?

On 1/23/2019 at 11:55 PM, comicnoir said:
On 1/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, Dr. Love said:

speaking of flying cars

RomanticSecrets22fc100_zpsfc4e0c9a.jpg

Not only that, it looks like nobody is at the wheel.

Either that or she's driving in the UK. 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, Point Five said:

:)

sweethearts25.jpg.95447f8e7c356d3c0b2e7e7245880a96.jpg

So, from the captions we can conclude:

1.  She really liked that ride with him through the Tunnel of Love.

2.  She already has a boyfriend.

3.  She's gotten into trouble before with these Tunnel rides.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Dr. Data, my alter ego, says yes and yes.  But not so much.

Of the 83 Star romance issues, the Church data says he got 32:  according to Chuck, 8 VG or lower, 14 F,  8 NM, 2 NM+.  imho none of the uber grade have been slabbed yet, maybe not even changed hands from where they originally landed.

Crippen records rely almost exclusively on HA data.  There is some minimal return in CC's database under the D pedigree, but not enough to mention, and no Star's.  Through HA, 18 Crippen Star's have sold, all raw except for Film Stars Romances 1. 

I knew you would know this! :)

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You did some excellent research on her a few years ago.  I know you've got a great collection of her covers.  Do you think you have them all? Iirc, there was another cover model of the time who somewhat resembles her, making exact IDs on some covers a bit difficult. 

I have an extensive collection of scans of Alice Kelley covers.  As for the books, I just pick up the issues I like the most.

Yes, there was another model who closely resembled Alice.  They both appeared on numerous comic covers, and on even more romance magazine covers, right around the same time.  Alice's cover appearances seem especially prolific during the years 1949 thru 1952.  

DimpleDoll057.jpg

gce7_GCD.jpg