• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

Haven't seen one of these actually shown here, so here is a copy of this book - with the top of the cover missing. The seller was kind enough to provide a color copy of the complete cover...

I dare say one of THE rarest :applause:

Here she is again, on Girls' Romances 2. Who IS this woman? Anyone have a clue? I swear she's all over the place on romance photo covers.

The photo on the Sweet Love cover looks a lot like a young adult Shirley Temple. It's not, of course, but it shows how unlikely it is that other Marilyn covers can be accurately identified just from the pictures.

Here she is again, on Girls' Romances 2. Who IS this woman? Anyone have a clue? I swear she's all over the place on romance photo covers.

Is this her on Love Letters 13?

I would say so, judging by the dimple.

Is this her on Love Letters 13?

I would say so, judging by the dimple.

I'm going to start calling her Dollface Dimples.

DimpleDoll001_zps0b884a7e.jpg

I just noticed this, but I believe this is the Dimple Girl, too:

DimpleDoll000_zpsbb8b05b2.jpg

I had some spare time last night, so I went looking through various titles at the GCD and found about a dozen other covers I believe feature the same model. It's more difficult to ID her when she's not smiling and displaying her trademark dimples... but I think the following photo covers are all her. Let me know what you think.

DimpleDoll000_zpsbb8b05b2.jpg

I had some spare time last night, so I went looking through various titles at the GCD and found about a dozen other covers I believe feature the same model. It's more difficult to ID her when she's not smiling and displaying her trademark dimples... but I think the following photo covers are all her. Let me know what you think.

I think I'm in love, that's what I think!

Let me add that this is terrific research! Very glad you took the time to dig through these.

I think many of these are slam-dunk cases of being her. There are just a couple that I think are in the "maybe, maybe not" category. These would be the ones where she has curlier hair and appears to have blue eyes. (Could it be the eyes were re-colored by designers, causing a different look?)

On many covers she appears to have brown eyes, and she definitely has that "brown-eyed girl" kind of look. But I think she might have dark-green or hazel eyes. The different eye colors could be due to different lighting too.

It is possible there were a couple of other brunette models who also have the wider chin, full cheeks, contoured nose, large eyes, and pronounced eyebrows that she has. Eyebrow penciling was common back then too.

Anyway, nice work! I am going to do some Gerber skimming later and see if I can spot any other examples.

They look very similar, but I think the brown-eyed girl and the blue-eyed girl are two different models. The blue-eyed one has sultrier eyes, a slightly wider chin, and less rounding on the nose.

the brown-eyed girl does look more like a grown up Shirley Temple, while the blue-eyed model has more of Gene Tierney thing going on.

They look very similar, but I think the brown-eyed girl and the blue-eyed girl are two different models. The blue-eyed one has sultrier eyes, a slightly wider chin, and less rounding on the nose.

Yeah, this model has less impressive dimple action. (Everything else about her is (thumbs u ) . I feel more loyalty toward Ms. Dollface Dimples.

Note that the two images on the right appear to be the same photo flipped around and retouched! Or at least from the same photo shoot.

147583.jpg.d6dbcff14eb91d2b137e10269b8ad3e0.jpg

You know, it's very comforting (or creepy dependent on your view on this) that I am not the only one who makes these connections between the various models on the cover of all comic books.

:foryou: all other nerds out there.

You know, it's very comforting (or creepy dependent on your view on this) that I am not the only one who makes these connections between the various models on the cover of all comic books.

:foryou: all other nerds out there.

"Blessed are the Nerds, for they shall inherit the Earth." (That's from the Bible, I think.)

A few more possible finds here.... (We need to keep a running list of the "definite" and the "maybe" covers featuring her. Better yet, we need to find out who she is. Maybe she's still out there somewhere.)

CONTENDER: Love Mystery #3

Pluses: Rounded face, slightly cleft chin, dark eyes, dark eyebrows, cute nose.

Minuses: Lacks her usual glowing sweetness.

147586.jpg.c222fa4f3c579a9a3a8bfbfecb1e746b.jpg