• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,488 posts in this topic

OK, I'm still on an All-True Romance kick.
This story from #16 has to be one of the craziest 'romance' stories I've ever read. The heroine spends nearly the entire story in bondage. NSFW!
(Hat tip to Comicbookplus for the scans; thank you.)

11.thumb.jpg.e7fa5080801602d145721c11e8baec11.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.75af6337b63147ce3f6e2e0546eaf1e6.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.312bb351c3320777384d94e9bdda705a.jpg

Edited by Point Five

20.jpgWalter Johnson illustrated some scarce romance books, I find his style to be crude Feldstein-ish but in a strangely interesting way. 

What are your opinions on his work?

Edited by sacentaur

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

20.jpgWalter Johnson illustrated some scarce romance books, I find his style to be crude Feldstein-ish but in a strangely interesting way. 

What are your opinions on his work?

I wonder if he swiped (and by swiped I should say practically traced) his interior work as shamelessly as he did his covers.  Was there a greater thief in the golden age?

Granted I like the end results of many of these... but maybe the Feldsteinish look is because that’s who he took some interiors from?

That makes sense - a man of limited talent swiping to make-up for artistic deficiencies.

Not much on Johnson biography-wise (this bit from Lambiek):

Walter T. Johnson was an American comic book artist. He serverd as an inker on the 'Li'l Abner' strip for United Feature Syndicate in the mid 1930s, and again in the 1950s and 1960s. He worked in comic books through Funnies Inc (1944-46) and later his own Walter Johnson Studio. He has mainly illustrated crime features for Consolidated Book, D.S. Publishing ('Select Detective', 'Underworld', etc.), Lev Gleason ('Crime Does Not Pay') and St. John Publishing ('Authentic Police Cases'), as well as romance and western features for Avon Comics ('Frontier Romances', 'The Saint'), DC Comics ('Real Fact Comics'), EC Comics ('Saddle Romances') and Youthful Magazines ('Buffalo Bill', 'Youthful Love', etc.). When working with Sol Harrison, he used the joint pen name Walter S. Hara.

It's gratifying to see you take an interest in romance, Steve, other publishers, other artists beyond just Baker.  Covers are one thing, and there are a hundreds and hundreds worth owning.  Interior work, however - that's where the going gets rough.  Romance is a particularly difficult genre to draw in an interesting, meaningful way.  Steranko said as much one time, others too I believe. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

That's a beaut, Corey, I love the night covers, I love the rainy covers, but I really love the rainy night covers!

Lichtenstein got it right.  DC war was good, but DC romance for the win.

361635-2012-05-10t023001z_1_cbre84906ye0

Thanks Doc! You were waaay ahead of the rest of most of us on this stuff. So much to still discover..

Sorry boys, but I do get excited on the subject.  So interesting to me, all of it.

DC is fascinating for many reasons.  Not the least of which was their clear editorial direction.  Women driven. Zena Brody, then Phyllis Reed.

That direction can be illustrated by a little bit from Rocky 3, the interview with Clubber Lang (played by Mr. T of course)

Interviewer:
What's your prediction for the fight?

Clubber Lang:
My prediction?

Interviewer:
Yes, your prediction.

Clubber Lang:
Pain!

GirlsLove141fc100_zps833c563a.jpg

41 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Sorry boys, but I do get excited on the subject.  So interesting to me, all of it.

DC is fascinating for many reasons.  Not the least of which was their clear editorial direction.  Women driven. Zena Brody, then Phyllis Reed.

That direction can be illustrated by a little bit from Rocky 3, the interview with Clubber Lang (played by Mr. T of course)

Interviewer:
What's your prediction for the fight?

Clubber Lang:
My prediction?

Interviewer:
Yes, your prediction.

Clubber Lang:
Pain!

GirlsLove141fc100_zps833c563a.jpg

Another cool rainy cover , and those eyes!