• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,415 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2019 at 6:02 PM, sacentaur said:

So where would you place Fox in the Romance hierarchy (St. John/Baker, Atlas, DC, Superior, L. B. Cole, Harvey, Ace, etc.)? 

St. John and Star would be #1 and 2 based on the strength of Baker and Cole and then Fox follows up in #3 with the violent/sleazy/bad girl point of view.  Generally speaking.  Personal preference kicks in after that.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:06 PM, Dr. Love said:

St. John and Star would be #1 and 2 based on the strength of Baker and Cole and then Fox follows up in #3 with the violent/sleazy/bad girl point of view.  Generally speaking.  Personal preference kicks in after that.

I would rate St John #1 followed by EC (Feldstein) and maybe Star third. There are a few real spectacular ones but a lot of them leave me a little cold. Heck, I think I like Cole’s funny animal work better than his romance work as a whole. Now his other work... Just my 2cents...

On 4/17/2019 at 10:38 AM, sagii said:

@pmpknface I think Comiclink just sold one in their last auction (don't know how much it bought). It and #4 are the toughest of the 4 issue run. The series was one of the earlier romance runs on the radar (due to the series name(title), the nicely designed logo, pretty women gracing the cover and 'rumored' scarcity. Issue one is considered a classic cover by Overstreet.

I agree on that.  I have a 1, 2, and 4, but no 3.

On 4/17/2019 at 2:53 PM, pmpknface said:

Yeah, these boards are rife for ideas and things to want.  AKA:  drains on the wallet!  :D  

Those 2 are classic.  If you haven't seen Rebecca (his only best picture Oscar winner) it's great, and Rope is awesome.  Short flick, it's shot like a play all taken in I believe 3 shots and all on 1 stage like setting.  I know this is a romance thread, but hey!  These movies have romance!  Just often with a bit a murder mixed in....  

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

The Birds gets my vote.  Never been a Rope fan.  How the heck did those masterminds expect to get the body out of their apartment? Iirc, Hitchcock wanted to film it all in one long take, but the technicolor cameras of the day had to have film reloaded every 8 (or maybe 12?) mins.  So at those marks, he would focus on the back of a dark suit or something that disguised the transition between takes. 

On 4/11/2019 at 9:02 PM, sacentaur said:

Fox Romance books present an interesting dilemma in that their covers often aren’t very good, the stories can be clumsily written, not to mention interior artwork that usually seems mediocre at best.

And because their rebound (4 comics) ‘fatties’ may contain issues where the first page of each story is missing (having appeared inside the front cover of the original edition), it’s been difficult for me to reconcile the collectability of these books.

Yet Fox Romance seems scarce and can command some pretty high prices in comparison to other generic romance. They have an oddball appeal that can be tough to resist.

So where would you place Fox in the Romance hierarchy (St. John/Baker, Atlas, DC, Superior, L. B. Cole, Harvey, Ace, etc.)? 

Pretty much agree with you about Fox although some of the covers are pretty good.  St John would, of course!, be first with me.  Colletta Atlas has really grown on me, so I might rank them second. Big fan of just about anything by Alice Kirkpatrick and Louise Altson.  

As I'm sure most people have noticed, Heritage has been auctioning off quite a few Fox romance books.  One group were high grade (often census toppers) but bad pq -- including LT and SB. They went for pretty strong prices, despite the pq, and I didn't win any of them. 

2 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I love Hitch. Especially Vertigo. Got a framed half sheet in my living room. Just picked up a Frenzy one sheet off Ha movie poster weekly. Just studied his movies. Here is my pencil drawing of the master I did out of art school.

hitchcock.jpeg

That's just superb!

I watched Vertigo a couple of weeks ago.  Had the same reaction I had when I first saw it years ago:  More interesting than entertaining. I know, though, it's gradually climbed up the "Best Films" lists.  Some people have it in their top 10. 

On 4/22/2019 at 1:06 AM, Dr. Love said:

Just got this one back.  Thought it might grade higher.

She's choosing between two, but there are three guys shown.  I wonder if she's contagious and the guy in bed is the same as the kisser at the bottom? hm

2019-05-02-0001.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Definitely a bridely bride. Unfortunately, this slab has Newton rings up the yim yam. 

2019-05-02-0001.jpg

Who needs Netflix? We have SqeegsPIX :D

Nice one (and the others too). I think Ajax picked up some of Comic Media's Romance titles? A lot of the Ajax covers are crudely drawn across genres, but it enhances their unique house style. 

Great posts today everyone :applause:

(..oh, and 'North by Northwest' would be my favorite Hitchcock movie) 

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Pretty much agree with you about Fox although some of the covers are pretty good.  St John would, of course!, be first with me.  Colletta Atlas has really grown on me, so I might rank them second. Big fan of just about anything by Alice Kirkpatrick and Louise Altson.  

….. this one is a favorite Colletta …. not easy to find in higher grades..... anybody with an 8.0, how's about hook a brother up ? GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

ATLAS LOVE ROMANCES 75.jpg

On 4/27/2019 at 12:10 AM, Dr. Love said:

thanks to a generous boardie    (thumbsu

this is one heck of a sweet romita, done right before his move to marvel

YoungLove49fu_zpspnp56hxa.jpg

Awesome