• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

A couple of cool Kinstler covers in there.

My understanding is the guy behind IW didn't bother asking permission or paying royalties; he just ripped off whatever he felt like. If I've got that wrong, I'd love to know the actual story. 

Hi Tony. Good to see you back.

I started a thread on IW reprints. Should be on first or second page. Should answer some of your questions.

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

My understanding is the guy behind IW didn't bother asking permission or paying royalties; he just ripped off whatever he felt like. If I've got that wrong, I'd love to know the actual story. 

from all I've read, absolutely correct. 

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Didn’t know there were any LB Cole IWs. Are these reprint covers? Never noticed this one.

this is a redone cover from Popular Teen-Agers #14 (Star Publications) 

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Hi Tony. Good to see you back.

I started a thread on IW reprints. Should be on first or second page. Should answer some of your questions.

Thanks.  Interesting that he somehow got the plates from the original printings. I don't know much about the printing process, but I thought plates were melted down and reused. Apparently not or not all the time.

2 hours ago, fett said:
14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

from all I've read, absolutely correct. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that he didn't reprint any of the main superhero titles or, so far a I know, any Disney titles. Of course, if he was doing it using the original plates, maybe he didn't have access to the plates from the larger publishers.

I used to have a few of these but I don't think I still have them.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Thanks.  Interesting that he somehow got the plates from the original printings. I don't know much about the printing process, but I thought plates were melted down and reused. Apparently not or not all the time.

No, printing plates can be used until they wear out. Odd that plates from monthly comic books would have been kept though. In those days comics were very rarely reprinted. Quality wasn’t that great on IWs. Probably because of worn plates.

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

No, printing plates can be used until they wear out. Odd that plates from monthly comic books would have been kept though. In those days comics were very rarely reprinted. Quality wasn’t that great on IWs. Probably because of worn plates.

@Robot Man Hey RM! Hope you and other west coast Boardies weren't affected by the earthquake too much. :wishluck:

8 minutes ago, sagii said:

@Robot Man Hey RM! Hope you and other west coast Boardies weren't affected by the earthquake too much. :wishluck:

Yeah, all good here. Was a pretty good one. Was watching the Dodger game and the chair started rolling on the hardwood floor.  Heard the water in the jacuzzi sloshing and some creaking. Lasted about 3 or 4 minutes. Started out real subtle and ramped up a bit. Earthquakes are weird. They just come up out of the blue and by the time you figure it out it's all over. They are silent and they feel like a wave. I remember a close one a few years ago that was pretty loud and violent. Gotta stay calm and just ride it out. Not as bad as people think. I'd take an earthquake over a twister or hurricane any day. Thanks for asking!

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, all good here. Was a pretty good one. Was watching the Dodger game and the chair started rolling on the hardwood floor.  Heard the water in the jacuzzi sloshing and some creaking. Lasted about 3 or 4 minutes. Started out real subtle and ramped up a bit. Earthquakes are weird. They just come up out of the blue and by the time you figure it out it's all over. They are silent and they feel like a wave. I remember a close one a few years ago that was pretty loud and violent. Gotta stay calm and just ride it out. Not as bad as people think. I'd take an earthquake over a twister or hurricane any day. Thanks for asking!

Your closing remarks reminded of this movie I just caught again recently...:devil:

12F65A8C-95A9-4540-94EF-B6307393CF86.jpeg.19a5c5c8f8038301b957e491b9411602.jpeg

FA1CF2DC-0A13-4DB4-B957-33286145706A.thumb.jpeg.e501ac020d55a6af039400b15c379124.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Pretty tough to find some of these Atlas romance books in decent shape.

secr.jpg

You're on fire today :applause:

And yes, Atlas' are tough to find in the Romance genre in high grade for some reason. 

20 minutes ago, sagii said:

You're on fire today :applause:

And yes, Atlas' are tough to find in the Romance genre in high grade for some reason. 

Probably didn't have large print runs and not many people (other than @Dr. Love!) collected them until recently. Just about all '50s romance seem tough in high grade, apart from the Harvey file copies.

The cover of the Secret Story Romances 6 looks like Al Hartley to me, although he signed a lot of his covers. hm