• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,415 posts in this topic

I'm confident those four are Alice. This next one, I'm only 90% certain...

DimpleDoll045_zpscce1a4a5.jpg

Looks like the same model as in Young Love 27, so if you are confident of that one ....

Doesn't the male model look like Peter Lawford?

And on this one, I could use a little feedback. It's an unusual angle, but it certainly might be her...

DimpleDoll046_zpse41ff1b4.jpg

Tough one. I think we would somehow need more info to definitely vote this one in.

The guy in that picture looks way too old for Young Romance. :D

These next two were among some of our earliest choices, but I'm now convinced they are not Alice (especially the second one).

I'll leave them in the album for the time being (so the links work), but I'm planning to remove them in a couple of days.

DimpleDoll020_zpsb8cf2da2.jpg

DimpleDoll021_zps5a540e32.jpg

These next two were among some of our earliest choices, but I'm now convinced they are not Alice (especially the second one).

I'll leave them in the album for the time being (so the links work), but I'm planning to remove them in a couple of days.

DimpleDoll020_zpsb8cf2da2.jpg

DimpleDoll021_zps5a540e32.jpg

Whoever this model was, she bore a strong resemblance to Ava Gardner, particularly in the photo on the Glamorous Romances cover.

Looks like the same model as in Young Love 27, so if you are confident of that one ....

In a general sort of way, sure. (In a general sort of way, like the other guy's resemblance to Jude Law.)

In a general sort of way, sure. (In a general sort of way, like the other guy's resemblance to Jude Law.)

Ah, come on. He reaalllly looks like Lawford. If Lawford wasn't way too far along in his career to be working as a model, I would say it actually was him.

Or maybe it was a really old photo! :D

Ah, come on. He reaalllly looks like Lawford. If Lawford wasn't way too far along in his career to be working as a model, I would say it actually was him.

It's harder to make a comparison on the basis of a straight profile. And that angle is slightly less than a straight profile.

(Where's our facial recognition expert?)

And on this one, I could use a little feedback. It's an unusual angle, but it certainly might be her...

DimpleDoll046_zpse41ff1b4.jpg

Tough one. I think we would somehow need more info to definitely vote this one in.

The guy in that picture looks way too old for Young Romance. :D

There's a guy on that cover? Missed it... ;)

DimpleDoll039_zps3485f88a.jpg

The numerous pictures posted of this blue-eyed model has convinced me this is NOT A.A.K. That goes for all the photo covers that feature the same male model as well. It's not like there are a great number of photo covers that look like they could be AAK or this woman, they either look like one or like the other, but not both, and enough angles and hair styles have been posted that it's clear it's not some illusion of the camera.

The numerous pictures posted of this blue-eyed model has convinced me this is NOT A.A.K. That goes for all the photo covers that feature the same male model as well. It's not like there are a great number of photo covers that look like they could be AAK or this woman, they either look like one or like the other, but not both, and enough angles and hair styles have been posted that it's clear it's not some illusion of the camera.

I hope you're not making any decisions on the basis of (for example) eye color, alone. Alice, it seems, actually had brown eyes. But in the publishing of photographs, eyes can be made any color you want. Similarly, hairstyles can be changed, as well as manipulated on the photograph.

Presently, we are simply collecting candidate photos and debating the models' identities. What we really need is a better methodology, one that excludes opinion. I think the album needs to be reorganized into two categories: 1) First, the photos we know for sure are Alice, which would include the publicity shots, the movie stills, the Vargas portrait, and anything else that we can positively match with Ms. Kelley's name. And 2) The candidate covers that can't be positively ruled out by any method, other than opinion.

As already stated, it will inevitably come down to finding a way to match her name to each individual photo, one at a time. Hopefully a way can be found to positively ID one or more photo sessions that have some common element, allowing us to ID several covers by group.

I hope you're not making any decisions on the basis of (for example) eye color, alone. Alice, it seems, actually had brown eyes. But in the publishing of photographs, eyes can be made any color you want. Similarly, hairstyles can be changed, as well as manipulated on the photograph.

Not on eye color ( which though it can be changed would have taken a little effort given the technology of the time- especially to a lighter color- an effort I can't imagine anyone would think worthwhile), but on the entire facial structure. It may be only opinion, but frankly while there is some resemblance between the two women, they appear clearly identifiable as two different people to my eyes.

Not on eye color ( which though it can be changed would have taken a little effort given the technology of the time- especially to a lighter color- an effort I can't imagine anyone would think worthwhile), but on the entire facial structure. It may be only opinion, but frankly while there is some resemblance between the two women, they appear clearly identifiable as two different people to my eyes.

And if you should ultimately be proved correct, I'll be the first one to shake your hand and say, "Good call." One of the problems with going about this the way we have, people tend to formulate decisions, and then become personally invested in being "right". At the end of the day, I don't care who is right or wrong, I simply want to know for sure which photos show Alice Kelley and which ones don't.

There is definitely an art to facial recognition, a skill that tends to improve, but only over time and through dedicated effort. It was only a couple days ago, I was finally able to look at two of those covers I'd originally chosen as "good candidates", and feel confident enough to say, "No way, that looks nothing like her." At this point, it's still only a matter of my opinion. For the time being, in many cases, that's all I have to go by. That, and the opinions of you guys, of course. And I value each and every one of them. This isn't going to be easy, and there appear to be far fewer shortcuts than I thought in the beginning.

It's harder to make a comparison on the basis of a straight profile. And that angle is slightly less than a straight profile.

(Where's our facial recognition expert?)

Not Lawford - recognize the face as a bit part actor but darned if I could say where I'd seen him before.

Another, "Maybe it's Alice, maybe it's another girl that looks alot like Alice".

Note to facial recognition experts: Here, at least, we've got a good look at the woman's ear. Now if we can compare this photo to a known photo of Alice that gives us an equally good look at her ear...

DimpleDoll047_zps1a54e21e.jpg

After tons of research online, I'm convinced that one of the most infallible ways to determine identity is through the ears. They're like fingerprints. (For more technical info, see the link I posted earlier.)

To my eyes, Alice's right ear lobe is longer and more oblong than some others. If that's her on Sweethearts #102, note how the lobe is somewhat oval, whereas the lobe of the model on Love Experiences #12 is shorter and more circular, even though she is wearing an earring which could pull the lobe down and make it look longer.

Another part of the ear to focus on is the tragus, which is the small flap in front of the ear canal which projects backward. When you press your finger on the tragus, if it's big enough, it closes up your ear canal.

Note how the model on Sweethearts #102 has a fairly pronounced tragus, but the girl on Love Experiences #12 barely has one at all.

With a photo editing program, I cropped to the ears only and rotated the pics to similar angles. The model's ear on LE #12 is smaller and rounder, while the model on Sweethearts #102 has an ear that is bigger from top to bottom and more oval overall. I would post the pics, but the forum software will only let me add photos which have a url.

I don't know the rarity of this, but was surprised that I have not run across it long ago. It could be that it escaped my perusal due to being post-code.

Or it could be it escaped your perusal because I own all of the copies in the entire world. Except for yours. And maybe one or two others.

It is rare. And the #2 and 3 for this series, though nothing compared to this #1, cannot be found in grade (by me).

Here's the Bethlehem. Or at least that's what the seller said. Now for today's Romance Quiz: can you name or show any of the other widely acclaimed "finger pointing, you're a bad person" romance covers?

Intimate01fc100_zpsfb9540e6.jpg

I love this thread so much...