• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,415 posts in this topic

I think ZI saw a $1700 bid on this one. Was that the final?

$1725 according to Brian.

Another strong finish for another eBay copy tonight. It's official: this book could potentially bypass(gulp) GCE12 as romance book #1 ?!?!

On the topic of MRA 50, just checked GPA and a 3.5 copy sold for $315 in Oct 2012. So if that eBay copy was truly VF, $1800 to $2000 is about right, based on the one data point. So I don't think this is evidence of the book "taking off", just surprising for those who might not have been aware that people are standing in line for that book.

I think ZI saw a $1700 bid on this one. Was that the final?

$1725 according to Brian.

Another strong finish for another eBay copy tonight. It's official: this book could potentially bypass(gulp) GCE12 as romance book #1 ?!?!

On the topic of MRA 50, just checked GPA and a 3.5 copy sold for $315 in Oct 2012. So if that eBay copy was truly VF, $1800 to $2000 is about right, based on the one data point. So I don't think this is evidence of the book "taking off", just surprising for those who might not have been aware that people are standing in line for that book.

Fair enough that that could be the case. Great market analysis.

Indeed!
Congrats! That didn't take long! :applause:

I can see one problem here - you don't have an MRA 50 anymore... :lol: (or maybe you do?)

Been watching this thread for a long time and was wondering when people were going to start spilling the secret cool books

MRA 49 is another very neat one, which I personally prefer over 50 (which obviously has the crossover horror appeal). I have a 49, but it's hard to find these books for sale

(Technically, "Romantic Adventures" without the "My")

I know one boardie with a nice, upper grade copy of this one, but I've never seen a truly high grade copy. Anyone? (Great girl fight cover. The interior art is really good, too.)

That's a great cover.

I think I saw Flex post a higher grade one for sale (or maybe it was a sales thread tease?).

I have posted this before - cant recall when. Not quite a match for adamstrange's copy, but I think it was harshly dealt with by CGC for an almost invisible moisture stain on the back cover.

My impression is it's a fairly tough book And peanuts in the guide.

Andy is correct - this one isnt going anywhere!

Best "catfight" cover out there? Arguably?

RomanticHearts9CGC70_zps243b1889.jpg

A great book with my favorite comic defect, "an almost invisible moisture stain on the back cover".

You'd have a real high grade copy if, instead of the stain, it had big bindery chips, dust shadows, a miscut and a miswrap?

Also, if this isn't the best "catfight" cover, I'd like to know what is.

A great book with my favorite comic defect, "an almost invisible moisture stain on the back cover".

You'd have a real high grade copy if, instead of the stain, it had big bindery chips, dust shadows, a miscut and a miswrap?

There are some good ones

gf2_zps7f4a042e.jpg

GF1_zpsa63a75ba.jpg

gf3_zps94c48133.jpg

There are some good ones

gf2_zps7f4a042e.jpg

GF1_zpsa63a75ba.jpg

gf3_zps94c48133.jpg

There are also some good Fox splash pages, but I don't have those any longer. Rulah #19 I think might have a classic?

There are some good ones

gf2_zps7f4a042e.jpg

GF1_zpsa63a75ba.jpg

gf3_zps94c48133.jpg

That was quick.

Some good ones there and a few I haven't seen before.

There are some good ones

gf2_zps7f4a042e.jpg

GF1_zpsa63a75ba.jpg

gf3_zps94c48133.jpg

Zoot 16 has always been a favorite of mine. The CGC label calls it a "Classic cover" (not "Classic Girl Fight cover", mind you, but I think that can be implied. What else would make it classic?)

The page from Rulah 18 (below) is called a "Classic girl-fight interior splash" by Overstreet, but isn't recognized as such by CGC labels.

Anthro 6 is, in my opinion, a contender for all-time best girl-fight cover. But what makes Romantic Hearts V2 #9 so unusual is that it's a girl-fight cover on a romance comic. (And not just two gals hissing at each other, which is probably fairly common.)

Rulah18GirlFightSplash_zps5eaef881.jpg

Dr. Love you rock ! Thanks for MRA50. Btw below is a self-portrait of the great and under-appreciated Ogden Whitney

Ogden_Whitney_Self_Portrait.jpg

Wow! Under appreciated for sure. My run of 'Manhunt' issues with his covers are some of my most treasured books! Thanks for posting!

Dr. Love you rock ! Thanks for MRA50.

and there he is. Everybody, our friend here is Roger, the proud new owner of my beloved MRA 50. He had been the underbidder on the previous two auctions, and I was thinking "man that's rough" and then knew what I had to do. Of course Roger's willingness to set the new market rate for that book helped me make that decision! I take my hat off to a collector who knows what he wants and goes for it! (thumbs u

Anyway, Roger's one of us - a passionate romance collector, among other interests of course (schomburg :luhv:) I told him how great this community is, and that he HAD to join up.

Welcome to the boards, newbie! :headbang:

Thank you my friends. I am both humbled and excited by being 'on board.' Regarding Manhunt - I agree some chillingly hot stuff there for sure. I am also a big fan of LB COLE romance covers. So hard to find in grades north of Fine Plus.

Thank you my friends. I am both humbled and excited by being 'on board.' Regarding Manhunt - I agree some chillingly hot stuff there for sure. I am also a big fan of LB COLE romance covers. So hard to find in grades north of Fine Plus.

Welcome Roger! Any friend of Ogden Whitney and L.B. Cole is a friend of mine! :D

I am also a big fan of LB COLE romance covers. So hard to find in grades north of Fine Plus.

That's a big heck yes on LB, and true that on the condition. But we take requests here on the romance thread. btw, LB has his own thread in Gold, if you want to see some real eye candy

PopularTeenAgersofLove10fc100_zpsa1e4df48.jpg

Any fan of Mr. whitney, and friend of Dr. love is alright in my book! Welcome! :hi: