• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,491 posts in this topic

Lot of Crowley/file copies up last night on HA. I imagine Dr. Love may have paid a few house calls. :D

I nabbed a few, including this one. Gradually started collecting ACG romance books and I don't think you see RA 1 very often. I'm a little dubious about the VF grade that HA assigned (and they didn't bother with a bc scan), but I'll see when it comes.

lf_zps1d7a7446.jpeg

Sqeggs, nice nab of the Romantic Adventures 1!

You're right, this book doesn't come around too often. I have a copy in the same grade range as yours, which for this book is a solid buy. Beautiful pallette - as shown to great effect in adamstrange's sweet copy in the Green thread.

As for the books last night, I was a pass. I got most of the slabbed Crowley Fawcetts when they came out. The seller held back the Marilyn Sweethearts from the deal. I wanted the collection so bad I didn't even try and run a bluff that I would walk behind that. Still hasn't stopped me from holding a grudge about it though, 10 years or so later.

Comics come and go. Grudges can be keepers. Minty!

All Love 26, May 1949 - first issue for this title, second issue for Ace in their entry for the genre (Real Love 25, April 1949 was the first for Ace). Arguably one of the prettier Ace line drawn covers. The "fireplace embrace" is a time honored motif, the proportions and perspective are well done, and the palette is ambitious. Risky, actually - that quantity of orange is hard to contain, and never the color of choice for a love book. The purple and blue manage to balance it out though, with the added help of an artistic device that shouldn't work but does - a stark white back to a fireplace.

Generally, all romance books are hard to come by in this shape. But a first issue from 1949? Eyes wide open, Brian, nicely done! (thumbs u

And again, a very nice 10 cent Atlas - Love Romances 69. Signed Colletta. Classic red/yellow palette balanced by the dark grey stone wall. Bonus - the Colletta trademark - billowy white cumulus cloud. Not terribly scarce, but imho one of the nicer of the Colletta covers in a title that had a very large run.

I see the romance is growing on you sir. Finding nice books at a decent price on ebay is pretty labor intensive. :applause:

So I done a good thing, huh? Good. Thanks. There are very few non-Baker books I like, and the list just got shorter. There were 3 people "watching" one of those books, so I messaged the seller and proposed a 25% discount for both ($60). He countered with $65 for both. I took it. I figured I couldn't go wrong, especially since I liked the covers a lot.

So I done a good thing, huh? Good. Thanks. There are very few non-Baker books I like, and the list just got shorter. There were 3 people "watching" one of those books, so I messaged the seller and proposed a 25% discount for both ($60). He countered with $65 for both. I took it. I figured I couldn't go wrong, especially since I liked the covers a lot.

You done good, kid, you done good!

Who's the woman in the back seat? Is that guy a polygamist?

I think the woman in back is just dating one of those "little men" you see on some romance covers. You just can't see him sitting on the seat.

Or maybe he's in her handkerchief. :o

Was that in ref. to a book in my sig line? (tsk)

Protective of those little guys aren't you? lol

Besides your Diary Secrets #30, I also had in mind the little guys from Love Diary #16 and Young Romance #12.

Any one of those guys would feel uncomfortable being wrung in a handkerchief.