• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

Just now, porcupine48 said:

Hmmm,I know I bought #37 as an impulse,I'll check to see if it was from a corner store or something. :wishluck: because at that time I really wasn't buying or looking at new comics.

At least one person is reading (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

At least one person is reading (thumbsu

And I've always liked annuals-Atlantis Attacks not so much,year after?Yeech.I think 37 is over looked,I mean,it's a first!And not too shabby a read. :sorry:likely no longer 9.8 because I looked inside.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

And I've always liked annuals-Atlantis Attacks not so much,year after?Yeech.I think 37 is over looked,I mean,it's a first!And not too shabby a read. :sorry:likely no longer 9.8 because I looked inside.

Depends. If the current grading contest is anything to go by it'll come back an 11 Jim 9_9

annual38.thumb.jpg.21b060398f79ecd46f42ea32a9ab6608.jpg  annual38ne.thumb.jpg.2373a5547961060b3fdc6fa8f660af7a.jpg

Freely available                                                                            Not freely available

hm

16 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

FREEly available,didn't want to be greedy.

It was funny Steve,dammit.BF snorted for minutes

VOqumkht.jpg

:mad:

Riiiiight  

12 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

One area of newsstand discussion that I find is often overlooked is in respect of annuals. There is a lot of excitement, say, for regular Amazing Spider-Man newsstand issues later in the run with issues like #694 commanding huge premiums and even finders fees.

In my experience, although going back about 5-7 years, some of the last newsstand ASM annuals were at least as scarce but rarely if ever attracted attention.

Annuals seem to be mostly ignored in general, even more so than regular run filler. Newsstands are just a different version of something almost nobody cares about.

6 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Is it for sale? hm

The scans are from my old files of copies long since gone. I had a second copy which I had up on ebay for a while and eventually gave up on. It might have gone in as a freebie to another sale, I'll have to check.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Annuals seem to be mostly ignored in general, even more so than regular run filler. Newsstands are just a different version of something almost nobody cares about.

Yes, that was the point of my post really, underlining that scarcity is often no guarantee of value or desirability. I have 400 'rarer than hens teeth' Charlton pence copies to further underline it. Nobody wants them either.  But it always surprised me that the same applied to the ASM annuals, given that ASM is arguably the most collected title ever and, in my experience, the character / title with the most completists. It's odd that the newsstand annuals should be so shunned when they are likely scarcer than some of the most sought after regular issues.

ASM #694 had a $500 bounty on it at one point. That issue in it's direct state has limited value, significance or interest. So it can be the case that lack of availability alone drives a ridiculous asking price. But it needs that rare breed of collector to support it - the mad completist.

So in respect of the original thread title question, "How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?", the answer for me is it depends.

If a title has no collector interest it likely won't matter whether a newsstand version of a particular issue is 10 or 1,000 times scarcer than a direct. No one collects it, so the prices stay the same. You can pimp it all you like, no one will buy it.

If an issue has some collector interest / desirability,  a premium may creep in if the newsstand version is comparatively scarce as collectors will see it as a limited variation on a desirable book. Collectors and speculators will always buy desirable books. 

If an issue has rabid collector interest, and is for a character that attracts completists or run collectors, a newsstand may attract a huge premium if it is perceived to be extremely scarce (but not if it's an annual :bigsmile:)

Finally, if a newsstand is in the possession of Chuck Rozanski, it will be priced x1,000 direct edition value regardless. 

Well, that passed the time. 

Yours sincerely, 

Captain Obvious 

It is always true that any comic is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it,  except 

35 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Finally, if a comic is in the possession of Chuck Rozanski, it will be priced x1,000 regardless.

Yours sincerely, 

Captain Obvious 

(Took some liberty with my interpretation of your quote)

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Fixed it

For me it can really depend.  I have sought out several Newsstand and sure I paid too much on some (Although no Chuck). Others I have acquired for really cheap, as like the annuals, no one else had any interest. On the more expensive end was Batman #457 2nd print & Superman #50 2nd print (although did score an upgrade for a good deal from another board member [Thank You Kirk!]), but on the lower end I have come across several of the Waldenbooks and B&N Stickered Newsstand for cents... I have always just collected what I like.. Can't go wrong.. May go broke , but not wrong..

24 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

For me it can really depend.  I have sought out several Newsstand and sure I paid too much on some (Although no Chuck). Others I have acquired for really cheap, as like the annuals, no one else had any interest. On the more expensive end was Batman #457 2nd print & Superman #50 2nd print (although did score an upgrade for a good deal from another board member [Thank You Kirk!]), but on the lower end I have come across several of the Waldenbooks and B&N Stickered Newsstand for cents... I have always just collected what I like.. Can't go wrong.. May go broke , but not wrong..

Snagging a newsstand group for cheap under the radar used to be a thrill back in the day. Seeing others listed priced to the skies, with zero justification, not so much  9_9