• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, paqart said:

Take a look at this list for some CGC recognized price variants, LazyBoy and RMA will not like seeing the list here because they distrust the guy who put it together, but it is easy enough to check, so you should be totally safe: https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/list-of-cgc-recognized-newsstand-variants/. According to the list, ASM 606 newsstand edition is a $3.99 price variant, likely meaning that the direct version is $2.99.

If you had more than a couple of week's experience on the board, you'd know that Lazyboy and I are the same person...

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you had more than a couple of week's experience on the board, you'd know that Lazyboy and I are the same person...

Your good people to Rockmyamadeus lol

When I want to consume mad quantities lol

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Hey, don't forget darkstar. Maybe we should let "him" out.

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

if they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, as paqart has said he does

I have not. You may have inferred this from other posts but I have not said it nor is it true. I did not mean to imply it either. You seem to be saying that, "everything on Nobel's blog is worthless," and I simply point out that there certainly are things found there that are correct, which you have admitted on multiple occasions. I look at his site, and this one, about the same as I look at a box at a flea market: something to sort through. Sometimes I buy things I regret later, but know that on average, I come out ahead, so I keep doing it. With the ASM 650 CGC error published on Nobel's blog, that is the kind of thing that is easy to check on but at least his blog gives you something to check in the first place. Going based on your posts, we'd all be best off throwing our collections away and never buying another comic.

Edited by paqart

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And this is meaningful in some way to you?

EDIT: And here I've hit my "interacting with a time waster" quota for the day. Ciao for now!

Edited by paqart

8 hours ago, bababooey said:

Newsstands always* have the second segment as two digits indicating the month.

Actually...

tn-500_1.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

The two digits correspond generally to the issue number that was released that calendar year:

Cover for The Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel, 1963 series) #310 [Newsstand]

...as can be seen here. ASM #310 has a Dec, 1988 cover date, but, because ASM was bi-weekly during the summer of 1988, it was the 15th issue of the 1988 year (by cover date) to be published.

Now...this is generally the rule, but it's not consistent. For example, Batman #428 is not the 28th issue of the year; the code is just the last two digits of the issue:

Cover for Batman (DC, 1940 series) #428 [Newsstand]

Cover for Batman (DC, 1940 series) #427 [Newsstand]

When there are 12 standard issues published in a year, the two digit code will naturally coincide with the month.

20 minutes ago, paqart said:

You seem to be saying that, "everything on Nobel's blog is worthless,"

You are incorrect. I am saying everything on Nobel's blog is suspect, which makes the entire blog as a whole worthless, because you must be an expert to weed what's error from what's truth. There's definitely correct information...but it's buried under an avalanche of false and mis-information, which the novice won't be able to distinguish.

and I simply point out that there certainly are things found there that are correct, which you have admitted on multiple occasions.

I haven't "admitted" it, as if I'm reluctant to acknowledge it. That there is some correct information on Nobel's blog....which there certainly is...the problem is that it's filled with so much error, it's easy to absorb things that are inaccurate...as you have done...and not know any better.

After all...a broken clock tells the time correctly twice a day.

With the ASM 650 CGC error published on Nobel's blog, that is the kind of thing that is easy to check on but at least his blog gives you something to check in the first place.

And that neatly illustrates that problem: you have to double and triple check to make sure the one source is correct....which is good practice, don't misunderstand...but for a site and an author which presents himself as an "authority", you shouldn't have to double and triple check. That's why there are such things as editors.

Going based on your posts, we'd all be best off throwing our collections away and never buying another comic.

That, of course, is silly hyperbole. lol If you want to see an example of the enthusiasm I have for the comics industry...if it can't be gleaned from my general posts...go check out my journal. I guarantee you, if there are any errors there, I would be most happy to listen to AND CORRECT THEM.

(thumbsu

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

13 minutes ago, paqart said:
19 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you had more than a couple of weeks' experience on the board, you'd know that Lazyboy and I are the same person...

And this is meaningful in some way to you?

EDIT: And here I've hit my "interacting with a time waster" quota for the day. Ciao for now!

See what I mean...? If you had more than a couple of weeks' experience here, you'd know that's a longstanding joke in these sections of the board. 

(psssst. We're not.)

48 minutes ago, paqart said:

Maybe he has some baloney but I wouldn't say he is full of it. In your case, I feel the same way, you have some baloney, mainly connected to your curt way of writing things, which leaves your intent a mystery, but your posts aren't "all baloney" either. Frankly, without the attitude, they'd be more fun to read.

The difference is very clear, if you can be honest enough to consider it.

Nobel has resisted correction of any kind. He has actively silenced those who point out errors, and even engaged in a campaign here (where he is not a member) to have people suspended from the board for "cyber bullying" for questioning whether someone here was the same person indicated on Nobel's blog as a "co-author" of his Canadian version price guide (he is.) 

Lazyboy, in my experience, appreciates correction because he wants everyone to be correct, especially himself, and doesn't want to be known as someone who gives out bad information. He has, to my knowledge, never tried to silence anyone for merely disagreeing with him.

That is the difference, and it is huge. People have given their lives and nations have gone to war over these principles.

It is the same mistake many make who worship the form over the substance. If someone "speaks" to you in a manner which you find offensive, but their information is valuable and informative, are you going to eschew that because they didn't address you in the "proper way"...? Sadly, some will and have.

I'll take a thousand people who speak to me bluntly but tell me the truth over the one who speaks in honeyed, dulcet tones, while lying to my face. You can be the king of the world...if you tell everyone what they want to hear, rather than the truth.

There are many, many parables regarding this.

38 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nobel has resisted correction of any kind. He has actively silenced those who point out errors, and even engaged in a campaign here (where he is not a member) to have people suspended from the board for "cyber bullying" for questioning whether someone here was the same person indicated on Nobel's blog as a "co-author" of his Canadian version price guide (he is.)

Actually, he is, though he's not exactly active. You probably missed him because he conveniently began posting when you were on vacation because of his and Angelo's disgusting manipulation and disappeared just before you returned.

50 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Actually, he is, though he's not exactly active. You probably missed him because he conveniently began posting when you were on vacation because of his and Angelo's disgusting manipulation and disappeared just before you returned.

I didn't miss him. I followed the whole delightful saga as it went down. He came for that one episode and then disappeared again, so I don't consider him to be anything resembling a member. He's had an account since 2011...? Somewhere around there...and aside from that fun little adventure, he's slunk back to whatever hole he lives in.

It was far more shameful for the people making the decision. Somebody who had a single post calls in and claims "cyber bullying"...? And gets his friends to do the same...? And they take that non-member's word for it...?

meh

That's the reality I live with.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus