• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

If someone is called pompous and condescending, repeatedly, by many different people, than that is what is decided pompous and condescending 

Damn it! Just when I thought I was out, this little gem dragged me back in....

DRAT!

So, Hollywood...may I call you Hollywood...? Holly...? Woody....? '92...? Tell me something...how many "different people" does it take to establish a fact? 2? 5? 10? 50? 1000?

If 10,000 people proclaim something, does that many people make it a fact,...?

How about a million?

A billion?

Every person on earth?

This is a socratic trap here, and see, I have been generous and warned you in advance....

:popcorn:

You've just committed a common logical fallacy. Do you know what it is? Are you offended that I told you that you did? Do you consider me pompous and condescending for saying that you did?

You have just committed the logical fallacy "Argumentum ad Numeram", also known as "the appeal to popularity." What IS the appeal to popularity, you may ask? Why, it's simple! 

"Using the popularity of a premise or proposition as evidence for its truthfulness. This is a fallacy which is very difficult to spot because our “common sense” tells us that if something is popular, it must be good/true/valid, but this is not so, especially in a society where clever marketing, social and political weight, and money can buy popularity."

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/40/Appeal-to-Popularity

(oooh, a citation and EVERYTHING! Aren't I just the bee's knees?? :blush: )

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Damn it! Just when I thought I was out, this little gem dragged me back in....

DRAT!

So, Hollywood...may I call you Hollywood...? Holly...? Woody....? '92...? Tell me something...how many "different people" does it take to establish a fact? 2? 5? 10? 50? 1000?

If 10,000 people proclaim something, does that many people make it a fact,...?

How about a million?

A billion?

Every person on earth?

This is a socratic trap here, and see, I have been generous and warned you in advance....

You've just committed a common logical fallacy. Do you know what it is? Are you offended that I told you that you did? Do you consider me pompous and condescending for saying that you did?

You have just committed the logical fallacy "Argumentum ad Numeram", also known as "the appeal to popularity." What IS the appeal to popularity, you may ask? Why, it's simple! 

"Using the popularity of a premise or proposition as evidence for its truthfulness. This is a fallacy which is very difficult to spot because our “common sense” tells us that if something is popular, it must be good/true/valid, but this is not so, especially in a society where clever marketing, social and political weight, and money can buy popularity."

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/40/Appeal-to-Popularity

(oooh, a citation and EVERYTHING! Aren't I just the bee's knees?? :blush: )

What a load of carp.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

I will amend my note about to say that I was able to find confirmation that the last newsstand issues in the Rebirth titles mentioned above were Batman 29, TEC 962, Superman 29 and Action 985

And here's an article that provides information and a list of the last DC newsstand articles, in case you missed it. The list is pretty accurate, and the article references back to a CGC thread I wrote that has the latest list.

https://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oh, if your goal is to change someone's mind...even if subconsciously...you're going to be in a world of heartache and frustration. The only mind I can change...is my own. Same goes for everyone else. I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't know. ;)

But...on message boards, there aren't just two people dialoguing...there are others, some participants, some not...most of whom haven't made up their minds about what is being discussed. And it is them with whom I am concerned. I'm a big, BIG believer in people having the most information possible, so they can decide for themselves. 

Than provide information...

TBF this whole argument stems from the weight of a persons integrity on a message board, and at times it is being measured by a total post count rather than actual fact or contribution, weather being here one week or ten years.

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't know what "hubris is a debilitating conflict within the human character" means. I mean, it sounds really cool...but I don't think it has any real meaning the way you've phrased it. 

Your responses are the real meaning in how I've phrased it.

When someone intellectualizes everything put in front of them, as though they are putting together a giant puzzle, that is hubris.

When someone cannot admit they are wrong even though many roommates point out why their actions have brought them to the place they are today, that is hubris.

Not only is it debilitating in their social life because they are always at war with others, its debilitating in their own minds because they are always trying to figure it out (the puzzle)

Life is about give and take, quid pro quo.

Everybody has a right to voice their opinion, but when their opinion is constantly causing division and irritation than maybe it's time to find a new voice.

I can openly admit when it comes to comics I am ignorant in alot of areas, but when it comes to social perception and social cues and understanding social diversity I am not ignorant.

When someone is incapable of accepting criticism in the attempts that their social life will be more plentiful or at least more bearable, than that is hubris.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:11 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

Your responses are the real meaning in how I've phrased it.

nzu2igx.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

On 10/25/2019 at 5:11 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

When someone cannot admit they are wrong even though many roommates point out why their actions have brought them to the place they are today, that is hubris.

Not only is it debilitating in their social life because they are always at war with others, its debilitating in their own minds because they are always trying to figure it out (the puzzle)

Life is about give and take, quid pro quo.

Everybody has a right to voice their opinion, but when their opinion is constantly causing division and irritation than maybe it's time to find a new voice.

I can openly admit when it comes to comics I am ignorant in alot of areas, but when it comes to social perception and social cues and understanding social diversity I am not ignorant.

When someone is incapable of accepting criticism in the attempts that their social life will be more plentiful or at least more bearable, than that is hubris.

Sure, these are all fairly common platitudes.

That said...would it be hubris to imagine that one can know these things about people they've never engaged with, nor met, nor had any meaningful interaction with of any kind...?

hm

Would it be hubris to imagine that one knows about social dynamics that go back over a decade, having only been here a mere 7 months...? Or even a year or two...?

hm

Would it be hubris to imagine that what one sees on the surface is representative of what lies beneath...?

hm

Would it be hubris to make absolute claims that are easily proven untrue, or imagine that one speaks for an entire group, or even a majority...?

hm

After all...you're claiming to be versed on "social perception" and "social cues" and "understanding social diversity" ("60% of the time, it works every time.") Those are mighty bold claims to make, especially in a written environment where verbal and non-verbal cues such as tone of voice, inflection, body language, facial expression, and more are completely absent.

I mean, I would never dare to imagine I have correctly interpreted everyone's intent when they write a post on a message board, given how easy it is to misinterpret.

That would be hubris.

But, I imagine there are savants in the world who are so adept at "reading" people that they have never interacted with that they can correctly assess any social situation on even the thinnest and most shallow evidence. I believe they look like this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.wzig_ejwVXR9Ff8LAOgYqQHaE6%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 10/25/2019 at 4:59 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

Than provide information...

I think you mean "then."

And I've already provided a lot of it. If you click my name, you can see my most recent posts. I would start there. (thumbsu

On 10/25/2019 at 4:59 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

TBF this whole argument stems from the weight of a persons integrity on a message board, and at times it is being measured by a total post count rather than actual fact or contribution, weather being here one week or ten years.

I think you mean "whether." I'm not sure what the "weight of a persons (sic) integrity on a message board" means.

Again, it sounds really impressive...but I'm pretty sure that phrase has no actual meaning. I think you mean something along the lines of "the measure of a person's social standing"...would that be accurate?

If that's the case, I have some advice for you: being worried about your "social standing" is a waste of time. If you speak the truth, those who matter and who also speak the truth will stand with you. Those who do not are irrelevant until such time as they choose to do so. Being worried about what people think of you is the path to madness, misery, and heartache.

To get a little on topic recap (for a five year old thread, mind):

There should be virtually no premium for newsstand copies...even in very high grade...up until about 1985, as they were as common, if not moreso, than Directs. 

After that, it's a bit of a sliding scale. Obviously, there's some pent up demand for high grade late 80s newsstands of key issues, like the tremendous sale of a 9.8 ASM #298 a while back.

Once you get into the early 90s, it's even more pronounced, but newsstands didn't start becoming fairly uncommon until about the mid 90s....by which time, the Copper Age was over.

Based on the ASM #298, it would seem that key newsstands from the time period are worth a decent premium in ultra high grade.

But if we're talking about a VF #298...that premium evaporates.

And that's true for every other issue, probably up to about 9.6.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

28 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

For sake of the topic,  does this one get a premium? :roflmao:1506402294_Screenshot_20190425-1313512.png.01ae81ac25f32d733e85bf0576b7f15d.png

I imagine, in 9.8, that that book would command a hefty premium over the already substantial premium the book normally gets. I suspect a 9.8 newsstand would easily sell for $500+.

What's silly about this book is that it's not special. It's not any rarer than #47 or #49, but it's worth 10 times or more what those are, just because of dirty imaginations.

lol