• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, divad said:
On 9/18/2019 at 9:46 AM, valiantman said:

Still a beautiful visualization of vague exactness...

direct_newsstand.png

And let's not forget pre-1980 Direct editions, e.g. the whole diamond price block, etc., before they figured out the bar code distinction.

That sounds too specific to be vague enough for the chart. :kidaround:

Comico, Now, First and others did extremely limited newsstands versions of their books. I'd pay a nice premium for any of the popular series. I've never seen a Grendel #1 newsstand edition but Mark Hamlin says they exist. Now and First only distributed them in small numbers around Chicago, from what I've read.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Comico, Now, First and others did extremely limited newsstands versions of their books. I'd pay a nice premium for any of the popular series. I've never seen a Grendel #1 newsstand edition but Mark Hamlin says they exist. Now and First only distributed them in small numbers around Chicago, from what I've read.

I did not know about Comico....interesting.

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

I've seen lots of Now newsstands. Way more than would be reasonable if they were actually extremely limited and distributed only around Chicago.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I've seen lots of Now newsstands. Way more than would be reasonable if they were actually extremely limited and distributed only around Chicago.

I don't disagree. Perhaps they were printed in anticipation of wider distribution. I believe a board member said he purchased some in Pittsburgh. Now certainly didn't print to orders like most Indy companies did.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:10 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

One of the funny things about the Mile High Comics website is that they list several comics with a newsstand premium when in fact it is the same thing as the regular copy.   Case in point:  Superman (1939 series) #348 with cover date of Jun 19082; Mile High lists a 'regular' copy in FN for $6.75 and a 'newsstand' copy in FN for $15.  DC's Direct sales issues were not even created until Oct 1982, so Mile High's 'regular' copy of Superman 348 is the same thing as a 'newsstand' copy.   They should be embarrassed for creating two separate listings for the same thing (especially since I pointed out this problem to them about 8 years ago).  The other thing that they might want to take note of is the fact that the earliest direct sales issues are harder to find than newsstand issues, yet they charge more for the newsstand issues and less for those direct sales issues.  

Try looking up the books from this thread:

I couldn’t find a thread which dealt with this specifically and didn’t want to start a new thread. So I’m posting here for any experts. Is this  Uncanny X-Men 282 2nd Print a newsstand or direct edition? 

To my knowledge Curtis distributed Newsstands and not Directs but this book has their logo and ID numbers. Any help would be appreciated. 

F9B3AAF3-BD13-4D30-81AC-D4F3D9AE00D2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Corona smith said:

I couldn’t find a thread which dealt with this specifically and didn’t want to start a new thread. So I’m posting here for any experts. Is this  Uncanny X-Men 282 2nd Print a newsstand or direct edition? 

To my knowledge Curtis distributed Newsstands and not Directs but this book has their logo and ID numbers. Any help would be appreciated. 

F9B3AAF3-BD13-4D30-81AC-D4F3D9AE00D2.jpeg

I thought all newsstand issues had to have bar codes, so my guess is that this comic book was produced for direct sales in comic book shops.  Have you checked the indicia to see what it says?

6 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

I thought all newsstand issues had to have bar codes, so my guess is that this comic book was produced for direct sales in comic book shops.  Have you checked the indicia to see what it says?

Yes, I thought they all had barcodes as well. No, just something I ran across online so I can’t check the indicia. I don’t think the indicia indicated direct or newsstands anyways. 

Edited by Corona smith

3 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

Yes, I thought they all had barcodes as well. No, just something I ran across online so I can’t check the indicia. I don’t think the indicia indicated direct or newsstands anyways. 

Here's one thing you can do if it seems like it is a 2nd print.   Check ads on the back cover, inside front cover, and inside back cover. If the ads are different that the 1st print, then try to find those same ads in comic books that were produced at a later date.  That technique can help nail down the date of the printing.   For example, Batman 430 (originally published Feb 1989) had a second printing.  The second printing had the same ads as all the DC comics that were printed in August 1989.

11 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Here's one thing you can do if it seems like it is a 2nd print.   Check ads on the back cover, inside front cover, and inside back cover. If the ads are different that the 1st print, then try to find those same ads in comic books that were produced at a later date.  That technique can help nail down the date of the printing.   For example, Batman 430 (originally published Feb 1989) had a second printing.  The second printing had the same ads as all the DC comics that were printed in August 1989.

I’m pretty sure it’s a second printing. I’m  unsure of whether it’s a direct or newsstand edition. I thought Curtis distributed newsstands only but no barcode. I’m sure someone knows. 

7 hours ago, Corona smith said:

There are many Direct editions that have the Curtis stuff printed on them, the most prominent one I can think of being X-Force 1.

7 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/302253-looking-for-assistance-and-info-about-uncanny-x-men-282-2nd-print/

On 3/8/2020 at 5:17 AM, Corona smith said:

This is a direct edition. No doubt.

On 3/5/2014 at 11:39 PM, Jaydogrules said:
valiantman said:
  Jaydogrules said:
Ugh. Point being since there is no empirical evidence that the newsstand versions consistently sell for any kind of "premium" why turn away 90% of your potential customers by trying to charge one.

What customers?

I'm not a dealer. I'm a buyer. I pay more for high grade newsstand because I remember the newsstand.

I remember being in the grocery store with my parents as a pre-teen and seeing bent-to-heck comics.

I know the unsold copies got sent back, shredded and recycled.

Why would I tell sellers that I will pay more for something that I could get for the same price if I just shut up?

Because I'm not the one telling them. The market is.

To win newsstand books, I have to bid higher than other buyers of newsstand books.

Sometimes I win. Sometimes they outbid me. Either way, newsstand matters.

I grant you that if it matters to you, then whether or not you pay more for them works for you.

I am one for whom it does not matter, and I will not pay more.

ALL of my collector friends feel the same way. We have seen newsstand versions go for less than direct versions in BIN and auctions.

Since the track record is spotty at best, why pay more when it probably does not matter in the end?

I'm not telling you not to do it. I'm saying that enough don't do it so as to render any real long term price difference negligible to non-existent. I apologize if my differing opinion offends you. But sometimes a little perspective from the other side of the coin can be a good thing. Notice how I am not poo-pooing yours, or trying to get personal about things.

-J.

Several years after this thread first started, it is really apparent that newsstand does matter. It is obvious that there will always be collectors who want newsstand variants. More and more as time goes on. They may want them in high grade, but so does every comic collector lol. If you went out and bought a bunch of high grade key newsstands back when this thread started, you'd be laughing all the way to the bank in 2020. I came into this hobby too late  :facepalm: ... but there's still opportunity out here 

9 hours ago, Vick93 said:
On 3/5/2014 at 10:39 PM, Jaydogrules said:
valiantman said:
  Jaydogrules said:
Ugh. Point being since there is no empirical evidence that the newsstand versions consistently sell for any kind of "premium" why turn away 90% of your potential customers by trying to charge one.

What customers?

I'm not a dealer. I'm a buyer. I pay more for high grade newsstand because I remember the newsstand.

I remember being in the grocery store with my parents as a pre-teen and seeing bent-to-heck comics.

I know the unsold copies got sent back, shredded and recycled.

Why would I tell sellers that I will pay more for something that I could get for the same price if I just shut up?

Because I'm not the one telling them. The market is.

To win newsstand books, I have to bid higher than other buyers of newsstand books.

Sometimes I win. Sometimes they outbid me. Either way, newsstand matters.

I grant you that if it matters to you, then whether or not you pay more for them works for you.

I am one for whom it does not matter, and I will not pay more.

ALL of my collector friends feel the same way. We have seen newsstand versions go for less than direct versions in BIN and auctions.

Since the track record is spotty at best, why pay more when it probably does not matter in the end?

I'm not telling you not to do it. I'm saying that enough don't do it so as to render any real long term price difference negligible to non-existent. I apologize if my differing opinion offends you. But sometimes a little perspective from the other side of the coin can be a good thing. Notice how I am not poo-pooing yours, or trying to get personal about things.

-J.

Several years after this thread first started, it is really apparent that newsstand does matter. It is obvious that there will always be collectors who want newsstand variants. More and more as time goes on. They may want them in high grade, but so does every comic collector lol. If you went out and bought a bunch of high grade key newsstands back when this thread started, you'd be laughing all the way to the bank in 2020. I came into this hobby too late  :facepalm: ... but there's still opportunity out here 

Welcome! :foryou:

I was buying high grade newsstands back when this thread started, but they were already hard to find.  It's interesting how often we might imagine a time machine scenario where we could go back just a few years and stock up on books, but even with a time machine it would have been impossible... there wasn't a consistent source for multiple copies of those books even in 2014, much less a high grade supply.

15 hours ago, Vick93 said:

Oh it’s not to late. Trust me a lot of general searches and saved searches have netted me a ton of high grade newsstands. Just takes time and more time. Look through the modern newsies and image newsstand threads. You’ll see what I’m talking about. Welcome to the forum!!

On 4/3/2020 at 9:04 AM, valiantman said:

Welcome! :foryou:

I was buying high grade newsstands back when this thread started, but they were already hard to find.

I was buying high grade newsstands back when they were on the newsstands . . . :bigsmile: