• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

I'm slowly semi-organizing my modern stock., with modern defined as when books hit $2.99. I was surprised how many I had, ten long boxes and a dozen short.

I bought them mostly at auction, for pennies on the dollar, and had no idea how many newsstands were in it. Very,very few, as it turns out. I only checked Marvel and DC and it was less than one percent.

I'm not sure how the market values will ultimately shake out. If I could tell the future for any financial activity, I'd be retired on my private island by now, after all.

But ultimately I do think the comic collectors' community will standardize their understanding of individual variants (and I don't just mean that in the 1:25000 LOL whatever modern sense). In philately or numismatics, something as different as direct market vs newsstand, or price variants, or obvious print run differences would be listed as separate targets to collect. But Overstreet is a long way from being a Scott catalogue or its ilk. Of course, not all collectors will care about the differences; not all stamp collectors care about perforation, watermark, or tagging varieties. But once there's universal recognition -- and, critically, a standardized and comprehensive index to such things -- enough collectors will.

My next door neighbor bought these newsstand issues from Barnes and Noble one day in the Summer of 2011 just for the heck of it.  Since I'm not familiar with Marvel, I would like to ask my fellow CGC boardies if any of these are hard to find. 

She also bought a few DC's (Superman 714, GL Corps 60, Superman/Batman 85, JLA 60, DC Universe Online Legends 11, and The All-New Batman The Brave and The Bold 8 at the same time).  It is interesting to me that she just happened to pluck these off the newsstand just before newsstand issues started to become more highly pursued by collectors.

1765513505_marvelnewsstands.thumb.jpg.94c957ba21879ffb712f119280a84715.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 4/5/2020 at 8:08 PM, Qalyar said:

Of course, not all collectors will care about the differences; not all stamp collectors care about perforation, watermark, or tagging varieties. But once there's universal recognition -- and, critically, a standardized and comprehensive index to such things -- enough collectors will.

It's funny to think about it, but it only takes two collectors.

Assume 100 collectors will happily pay $1 for newsstand or direct, because the book is worth $1 regardless.  98 of those 100 collectors could be ADAMANT that there's no difference between direct and newsstand so they REFUSE to pay more than $1 for newsstand.  The other two collectors happily pay $4 each for newsstand, and they like having multiples.

The completed sales market will be $1 for direct and $4 for newsstand because of two collectors.  Just imagine what would happen if ten collectors cared, despite the overwhelming majority 90% in agreement that there's no difference. lol

4 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

My next door neighbor bought these newsstand issues from Barnes and Noble one day in the Summer of 2011 just for the heck of it.  Since I'm not familiar with Marvel, I would like to ask my fellow CGC boardies if any of these are hard to find. 

She also bought a few DC's (Superman 714, GL Corps 60, Superman/Batman 85, JLA 60, DC Universe Online Legends 11, and The All-New Batman The Brave and The Bold 8 at the same time.  It is interesting to me that she just happened to pluck these off the newsstand just before newsstand issues started to become more highly pursued by collectors.

Post 2000 Marvels being my main area of collecting it can be really difficult to find any newsstands especially the last few years before marvel stopped. It can be exceptionally hard to find high grades or high grade keys. Marvel stopped in 2014. Amazing Spider-Mans always are popular along with main titles like you have. I’d check the Wikipedia Database for those particular books and check for any first appearances. 

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Assume 100 collectors will happily pay $1 for newsstand or direct, because the book is worth $1 regardless.  98 of those 100 collectors could be ADAMANT that there's no difference between direct and newsstand so they REFUSE to pay more than $1 for newsstand.  The other two collectors happily pay $4 each for newsstand, and they like having multiples.

The completed sales market will be $1 for direct and $4 for newsstand because of two collectors.  Just imagine what would happen if ten collectors cared, despite the overwhelming majority 90% in agreement that there's no difference. lol

Their becoming more and more popular as the days, weeks, months and years pass. Many modern keys in newsstand go for multiple times what the direct counterpart goes for. There’s also plenty differences in most cases as well. Ranging from price variants, barcodes & paper quality. Those price variants draw in those collectors as well. When you also consider the life of newsstand copies compared to direct and the return-ability along with only one or two stores sporadically carrying copies towards the end.  So whether you collect them or what personal feelings you have there’s a niche market that’s only gaining in popularity. I’m happy to see it stay niche until my collection fills out more. 

9 hours ago, Corona smith said:
12 hours ago, valiantman said:

Their becoming more and more popular as the days, weeks, months and years pass. Many modern keys in newsstand go for multiple times what the direct counterpart goes for. There’s also plenty differences in most cases as well. Ranging from price variants, barcodes & paper quality. Those price variants draw in those collectors as well. When you also consider the life of newsstand copies compared to direct and the return-ability along with only one or two stores sporadically carrying copies towards the end.  So whether you collect them or what personal feelings you have there’s a niche market that’s only gaining in popularity. I’m happy to see it stay niche until my collection fills out more. 

Totally agree. Even before making it to the spinner rack they stood a chance at getting dinged up. The tight plastic wrap itself wrapped around those stacked books could easily cause damage. All things being equal for late copper moderns the 9.8 UPC will likely sell before it's direct edition counterpart. Sellers don't always put a premium however. I wish I could find one of these sellers with an ASM 308 UPC 9.8 with a normal FMV price! That would be heavenly :cloud9:

21 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

She also bought a few DC's (Superman 714, GL Corps 60, Superman/Batman 85, JLA 60, DC Universe Online Legends 11, and The All-New Batman The Brave and The Bold 8 at the same time).  It is interesting to me that she just happened to pluck these off the newsstand just before newsstand issues started to become more highly pursued by collectors.

It just occurred to me that if my neighbor would have waited about 3 weeks, she would have gotten some of the #1 issues of DC's New 52.  I think popularity has waned on the newsstand variants of those #1s, but I saw the New 52 Batman #1 and Detective #1 newsstand variants selling easily for more than $50 at one time.   Would you agree that the hype over those issues is now calming down now that it has been almost 10 years since they came out? 

Edited by Cpt Kirk

5 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

It just occurred to me that if my neighbor would have waited about 3 weeks, she would have gotten some of the #1 issues of DC's New 52.  I think popularity has waned on the newsstand variants of those #1s, but I saw the New 52 Batman #1 and Detective #1 newsstand variants selling easily for more than $50 at one time.   Would you agree that the hype over those issues is now calming down now that it has been almost 10 years since they came out? 

I think the rebooting pretty much eliminated the value of new 52, although newsstands still have premiums over direct

So I was bagging some books, checking values and came across ASM 529 (which happens to be a newsstand). Saw one had sold bin for $2 something on EBay. Seems obvious to me the seller had no idea and a lucky buyer snapped it up. Bottom line for me is it worth slabbing at probable 9.8?

C7E4EBE7-3CF7-4E83-9F95-5BF1A71157F2.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

So I was bagging some books, checking values and came across ASM 529 (which happens to be a newsstand). Saw one had sold bin for $2 something on EBay. Seems obvious to me the seller had no idea and a lucky buyer snapped it up. Bottom line for me is it worth slabbing at probable 9.8?

C7E4EBE7-3CF7-4E83-9F95-5BF1A71157F2.jpeg

I think you meant 526, either way your copy is a $2.99 newsstand edition. The direct edition is cover priced at $2.50.

It looks like your book can benefit from a press. I personally would submit it if I thought I had a shot at least a 9.6 or better.

1 minute ago, mr_highgrade said:

I think you meant 526

Indeed. Thanks  The book does have some light spine roll that will need a press for sure. Guess my question is does anyone have an estimate for how much of a premium it will bring over the direct edition?  

Just now, ThothAmon said:

Indeed. Thanks  The book does have some light spine roll that will need a press for sure. Guess my question is does anyone have an estimate for how much of a premium it will bring over the direct edition?  

I personally have sold 9.8's newsstand edition between $450-$499 on ebay and to private collectors. 

5 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Here it is. Just type in the item number and it'll show you the best offer. It doesn't include the 15$ shipping and tax

https://www.flippertools.com/tools/ebayOfferHistory/ebay-best-offer-actual-price.htm

Edited by MGsimba77

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Here it is. Just type in the item number and it'll show you the best offer. It doesn't include the 15$ shipping and tax

https://www.flippertools.com/tools/ebayOfferHistory/ebay-best-offer-actual-price.htm

Looks like it sold for $325.00. Not to shabby. Still $100.00 more than the direct edition. Thanks for the tip. (thumbsu

As I was researching the value of this Punisher101 (really no newsstand comps) I learned that MCS does not differentiate between newsstand and direct. Here is their statement 

“Note about "Newsstand" vs "Direct" editions: some comics printed during this time period were published for sale in both the direct market (comic stores) and at newsstand locations such as grocery stores or convenience stores. In many cases, the only difference between the two versions is the presence of either a barcode or small logo where the barcode would otherwise be. Most collectors consider both versions to be of equal value. If the only difference is the presence of the logo or the barcode, we do not distinguish between newsstand or direct editions, so it is possible that the comic you receive could have a barcode even if our listing image shows a logo, or vice versa.

In cases where there is a significant difference between the newsstand and direct editions, such as one having a foil cover, different color scheme, or other clear variation, we will list the newsstand and direct editions as two separate listings and they will be clearly labeled as such, so you will be able to select which version you want.”

If anyone knows Buddy Saunders at MCS lets get him on the bandwagon as well.  I think that in order for this niche collecting to really take off CGC needs to get on board in a big way with its census and labeling. So far it seems hit and miss. Not sure it’s necessarily in CGC’s best interest to do so where they would effectively be relegating 95% or so of the last 25 years of comics to second class status?  Just happy that I, apparently, have lots of them!

image.jpg