• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I believe you, but you're talking about NYC (I think).  There weren't so many newsstand choices in middle USA.  I remember about 5 Marvel titles, about 5 DC, a couple Archie (high school teens as well as TMNT/Sonic), and something weirder (which varied) like Now, Continuity, plus Mad and Cracked.

Yes, I live in NYC. But they were available at Barnes & Noble, etc. You are correct about the titles. 

On 5/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, valiantman said:

Cross-posting from the "show your Copper Newsstand" thread, since it's really a discussion for here:

Lest we forget that this IS the Copper forum. :sumo: I think the data (across the board) will eventually reflect that newsies from 1986 through 1992 will be the hardest to find in HG. Although you had to go to the big-box book stores for newsies post 1992, they sold quite a few of them. Before 1992 you probably had to actually buy them at real newsstands (including drugstores and 7-11's).

Edited by divad

11 hours ago, divad said:

Lest we forget that this IS the Copper forum. :sumo: I think the data (across the board) will eventually reflect that newsies from 1986 through 1992 will be the hardest to find in HG. Although you had to go to the big-box book stores for newsies post 1992, they sold quite a few of them. Before 1992 you probably had to actually buy them at real newsstands (including drugstores and 7-11's).

I completely disagree on Copper Newsstands being hard to find. I find it ludicrous to be honest. During that time every gas station, convenience store, newsstand, grocery store, department store, book store, etc. sold them. They were a hell of a lot more plentiful than post 2000 newsstands. Hundreds of thousands to millions were the average print runs back then compared to today’s numbers which break 100,000 on the very rare occasion otherwise Tens of thousands at best. 

Edited by Corona smith

Regarding what newsstand issues were readily available after the 2000s, for DC I could count on Looney Tunes as the one title available in a local supermarket chain.  As another post alluded too, of course you had to be careful about cashier handling.  Stores with self-checkout kiosks were great.  I could scan, pay, and go while carefully guarding the book.

2 hours ago, Corona smith said:

I completely disagree on Copper Newsstands being hard to find. I find it ludicrous to be honest. During that time every gas station, convenience store, newsstand, grocery store, department store, book store, etc. sold them. They were a hell of a lot more plentiful than post 2000 newsstands. Hundreds of thousands to millions were the average print runs back then compared to today’s numbers which break 100,000 on the very rare occasion otherwise Tens of thousands at best. 

Relatively hard-to-find, especially in high grades, not actually hard to find (like Golden Age rarities or something ridiculous like that). 

If you want a CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #300, just go on Ebay any day of the year... it's there.  If you want a CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #300 Newsstand... um... good luck.  ASM #300 is the most submitted book to CGC, so it should be EASY to find high grade CGC ASM #300 newsstands.  It isn't.

Edited by valiantman

4 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

At the end of the day, whether it's Copper or Modern newsies, if you want the best bang for your buck it will always come down to one thing: CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION. Period. You always want the highest quality available any collectible. 

Usually - and it makes sense to think it's always true - but if you look back at ASM #300, and let's say you had $2,000 to invest in CGC ASM #300 in 2005

- You could have gotten 3 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 for $2,000 in 2005.

- You could have gotten 40 copies of CGC 8.0 ASM #300 for $2,000 in 2005.

Currently, you'd have $6,000 worth of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 or $10,000+ worth of CGC 8.0 ASM #300.

Quality is the most important thing, always, except when quantity beats quality.  There's a reason Burger King and McDonald's make more money than steakhouse chains, even though a medium-rare filet mignon with garlic butter is a CGC 9.9 and a quarter pounder is a CGC 6.0.

Edited by valiantman

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Usually - and it makes sense to think it's always true - but if you look back at ASM #300, and let's say you had $2,000 to invest in CGC ASM #300 in 2005

- You could have gotten 3 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 for $2,000 in 2005.

- You could have gotten 40 copies of CGC 8.0 ASM #300 for $2,000 in 2005.

Currently, you'd have $6,000 worth of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 or $10,000+ worth of CGC 8.0 ASM #300.

Quality is the most important thing, always, except when quantity beats quality.  There's a reason Burger King and McDonald's make more money than steakhouse chains, even though a medium-rare filet mignon with garlic butter is a CGC 9.9 and a quarter pounder is a CGC 6.0.

I can't argue with those numbers. 

13 hours ago, Corona smith said:

:baiting:I completely disagree on Copper Newsstands being hard to find. I find it ludicrous to be honest. During that time every gas station, convenience store, newsstand, grocery store, department store, book store, etc. sold them. They were a hell of a lot more plentiful than post 2000 newsstands. Hundreds of thousands to millions were the average print runs back then compared to today’s numbers which break 100,000 on the very rare occasion otherwise Tens of thousands at best. 

Wel, I guess we can completely disagree to completely disagree then . . . :roflmao:

1 hour ago, divad said:
7 hours ago, valiantman said:
19 hours ago, mec3437 said:

The premium is 37%

Douglas Adams said it's 42%.

No, it's whatever the buyer is willing to pay . . . and whatever the seller is willing to accept.

Douglas Adams said you probably don't know where your towel is.

7 hours ago, valiantman said:
8 hours ago, divad said:
14 hours ago, valiantman said:
On 5/4/2020 at 6:30 PM, mec3437 said:

The premium is 37%

Douglas Adams said it's 42%.

No, it's whatever the buyer is willing to pay . . . and whatever the seller is willing to accept.

Douglas Adams said you probably don't know where your towel is.

Doug Adams always made it up as he went . . . :bigsmile:

On 10/30/2019 at 12:44 PM, shadroch said:

Comico, Now, First and others did extremely limited newsstands versions of their books. I'd pay a nice premium for any of the popular series. I've never seen a Grendel #1 newsstand edition but Mark Hamlin says they exist. Now and First only distributed them in small numbers around Chicago, from what I've read.

Found these lurking in a longbox of copper indie dreck. hm

HPIM3343.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

HPIM3352.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=
Copy