• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

One recent eBay example, May 21, 2020...

G.I. Joe, ARAH #81 CGC 9.8 White pgs, Newsstand 

$146 [+shipping; +sales tax?]

According to GPA, the last public sale of a CGC 9.8 White pg example was March 12, 2019 for $84. Three assumptions here are that there was no shipping charge, there was no sales tax charge, & it was a direct edition example.

As previously stated, the buyer determines 'how much of a premium' is paid for each newsstand example. That 'premium' is likely impacted by numerous variables simultaneously, with emotion being perhaps the single most impactful... 

GI JOE 81 Newsstand.jpg

On 5/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, GLCBrad said:

My favorite new thing to do is go through my long boxes to search for newsstands 

Well, that is when things came un-glued for me about 10 years ago.  I went through all my comic books to make sure I had each and every issue with the Direct Sales logo (to me those bar codes were ugly).   The early direct sales issues were a slight challenge to find.  But after I got all the Direct Sales issues in hand, I decided for completeness I also needed to have every newsstand issue in hand, especially when I started noticing some difference.  Following is an article I wrote about it many moons ago.

After 8 years of looking, the only newsstand issue that I have not been able to find in VF or better in the titles of Batman, Detective, Superman or Action Comics is Detective 813.  I had to find my FN copy by enlisting the help of a friend in Venezuela, who sent me a newsstand copy with a Venezuelan price sticker on the front cover.  

A person would normally be happy to sell the direct sales copy of Detective 813 for a few bucks, if even that much. On the other hand, I would gladly pay $25 or more for a VF newsstand copy of TEC 813.  So is there a premium for some newsstand issues?....  yes, and that premium can be substantial if it is hard to find and someone like me wants it enough.  

Note that this TEC 813 was dated Jan 2006.  I feel that the hardest ones to find were approximately in the years of 2002 through 2012.  Around the year 2002 and later, a lot of book stores like Waldenbooks closed and only a few newsstands sold comics.  Sometime around 2012, many collectors realized scarcity of newsstand issues and started saving them (so in general those newer ones are not hard to find if you are willing to pay the premium).  I did not hesitate to pay a premium of 5 to 10 times price guide values for other newsstand issues that I needed from this same time period. I remember competing for a few Batman newsstand issues from that time period on eBay, and it was not uncommon that I won them after bidding up to the $20 to $30 range (with one ending somewhere around $60).  I gladly paid those prices because I’m a nutty completionist variant collector, and I knew if I passed on the purchase of a rare one, it might be years before I saw another. 

On 5/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, valiantman said:

Quality is the most important thing, always, except when quantity beats quality.  There's a reason Burger King and McDonald's make more money than steakhouse chains, even though a medium-rare filet mignon with garlic butter is a CGC 9.9 and a quarter pounder is a CGC 6.0.

:insane: Using this as a starting point, what would the rest of the scale look like? hm

CGC  .5     Roadkill Sammich w/maggots.

CGC 1.0    Tossing a Salad w/ballsweat vinegarette dressing & famundercheese crumbles.

CGC 1.5    Half eaten Cheesesteak in trashcan like that raccoon found on the Geico commercial.

CGC 2.0    ??????

Jesus,..........am I really this bored.

1 hour ago, ramrod44 said:
On 5/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, valiantman said:

Quality is the most important thing, always, except when quantity beats quality.  There's a reason Burger King and McDonald's make more money than steakhouse chains, even though a medium-rare filet mignon with garlic butter is a CGC 9.9 and a quarter pounder is a CGC 6.0.

:insane: Using this as a starting point, what would the rest of the scale look like? hm

CGC  .5     Roadkill Sammich w/maggots.

CGC 1.0    Tossing a Salad w/ballsweat vinegarette dressing & famundercheese crumbles.

CGC 1.5    Half eaten Cheesesteak in trashcan like that raccoon found on the Geico commercial.

CGC 2.0    ??????

Jesus,..........am I really this bored.

First, you have to tell me which restaurants are serving up these grades.  If you've got a local restaurant actually serving your examples, I'd say you should try Yelp and try for somewhere above 1 star.  :kidaround:

26 minutes ago, valiantman said:

First, you have to tell me which restaurants are serving up these grades.  If you've got a local restaurant actually serving your examples, I'd say you should try Yelp and try for somewhere above 1 star.  :kidaround:

The Roadkill sammich w/maggots can be found along your local freeway, the tossing salad at the airport restroom or local shady bar round last call and the trashcan with the half eaten cheesesteak was somewhere in NYC. The scale doesn't have to be things you've actually tried, it could be things you've seen. Because lets be honest, we have all seen things that we wish we could unsee. :facepalm:

On 5/25/2020 at 2:06 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Well, that is when things came un-glued for me about 10 years ago.  I went through all my comic books to make sure I had each and every issue with the Direct Sales logo (to me those bar codes were ugly).   The early direct sales issues were a slight challenge to find.  But after I got all the Direct Sales issues in hand, I decided for completeness I also needed to have every newsstand issue in hand, especially when I started noticing some difference.  Following is an article I wrote about it many moons ago.

I had heard about this from a potential eBay buyer a few months ago. They had messaged me to check ads in the books as that was an indicator of it being a variant. They even took some time to explain it to me. It’s not of much interest to me as I’m more into Post 2000 Marvel Newsstands. I will pickup DC’s as well but I’m more picky and try to only get keys/firsts. 

11 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

When did the newsstand edition for Batman #497 become an expensive book? Asking for a friend.

A2CA16D0-599C-4A70-8CB6-304FC3ED5A7B.thumb.jpeg.b37aec58abdd8eeb59a7ef131f0f64b1.jpeg

Only two bidders willing to go over $230 for that one.  If one of them was a shill, then the legit price is still around $230 unless the $355 buyer wants multiple copies at that price. Prior sale was $201.50 last week.  There's a $370 "buy it now" from MyComicShop on Ebay if the underbidder just can't wait (and isn't a shill).

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Only two bidders willing to go over $230 for that one.  If one of them was a shill, then the legit price is still around $230 unless the $355 buyer wants multiple copies at that price. Prior sale was $201.50 last week.  There's a $370 "buy it now" from MyComicShop on Ebay if the underbidder just can't wait (and isn't a shill).

Wow, I didn’t even realize this edition goes for over $200. 

11 minutes ago, Brandon Shepherd said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Wow, I didn’t even realize this edition goes for over $200. 

A month ago it was closer to $120.

Was doing a little research on the value of a newsstand V2 #5 Daredevil.  9 raw sold 0 newsstand.  Found a V2 #9 CGC 9.6 that sold at auction for a $30 (50 percent) premium over a direct edition and for as much as a DE 9.8.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Knights-DAREDEVIL-V2-9-CGC-9-6-NEWSSTAND-VARIANT-FIRST-MAYA-LOPEZ-ECHO-/373059031816?hash=item56dc0d1308%3Ag%3Au8IAAOSwle5exKiR&nma=true&si=ZHSVTskbFAchF243tYtZZS%2BQ1Aw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I really think CGC is behind the curve by not labeling newsstands as such.  

Edited by ThothAmon

On 2/23/2014 at 2:21 PM, SammyBComics said:

There are later newsstand prints for Superman #75. Here is my 3rd print. If I remember correctly there is also a 4th print newsstand version.

Superman753rdPrintNewsstand_zpscd9fd182.jpg

Nice find.   And yes, the 4th printing has newsstand variants (one with newsstand sticker, and one with bar code similar to the one you showed above.   1st and 2nd printings also have newsstand variants (the 2nd printing  newsstand has only been found with the sticker)