• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

I ask this solely because I am sending some books off to CGC and wanted to include my UXM 282, so as I was looking it over, I noticed it isn't but in 9.4 shape (yes, a press would help, but I am time-constrained RN) BUT it is a newsstand version. So, for my direct case, would it still be worth sending in as a 9.4 since it is a newsstand? And in the general sense, how much more collectable are newsstand editions v/s their direct edition counterparts overall?

Any and all comments are welcome, and thanks in advance!

-slym

I ask this solely because I am sending some books off to CGC and wanted to include my UXM 282, so as I was looking it over, I noticed it isn't but in 9.4 shape (yes, a press would help, but I am time-constrained RN) BUT it is a newsstand version. So, for my direct case, would it still be worth sending in as a 9.4 since it is a newsstand? And in the general sense, how much more collectable are newsstand editions v/s their direct edition counterparts overall?

Any and all comments are welcome, and thanks in advance!

-slym

No, none. At 282, you need a 9.6 or better to slab imho. Below that, you are better selling raw.

If you look at ebay listings and sold listings you'll notice a disproportionate ratio of direct to newsstand editons. Among the 80 or so sold listings only 1 was a newsstand edition. Make of that what you will. Remember, newsstand editions were returnable to the publisher, I don't believe that was the case with direct editions.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=uncanny+x-men+282+cgc&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

I think the answer pretty much is this:

Currenty there is not much of a difference, even though there are many more multiples of direct editions out there.

At some point, its a possibility newsstand versions may command a more than marginal premium.

I really think post 1996 newstands are the really tough books to find. And prior to that only key books, as slym was asking about may bring a premium.

I'd tuck that book away along with any other lower than 9.6 newstand keys you have and hold onto them.

This is about the only newsstand key I have from that era, and I don't think it will hold its current value after the DoFP movie comes out. I might still send this in to the CGC, but I am def. gonna need a press on it first. I just hope I can make it in time!

Again, thanks to everyone that has responded!

-slym

Here's my advice:

If you're looking for a comic anyway, and the prices are equivalent, then definitely get the newsstand copy, but I would *not* run around investing in newsstand issues, hoping to make money, as the vast majority of collectors do not care.

Here's my advice:

If you're looking for a comic anyway, and the prices are equivalent, then definitely get the newsstand copy, but I would *not* run around investing in newsstand issues, hoping to make money, as the vast majority of collectors do not care.

Good advice though it is surprising to me that in this market more collectors don't care. This is especially true of modern newsstands where there are so few stores that sell them anymore. In a collectible market where rarity and condition are key, collecting newsstands should be a major focus for many collectors.

Here is an example: I go to a LCS that is seasonal and slowly sells off it's massive back issue inventory each winter. We are talking 10s of thousands of comics with thousands of new issues each weekend. I often come across runs of the same issue. So say I find New Mutants 16, there might be 10-20 of them but only one or two have the barcode and often the newsstand version is VF not NM like the rest of the issues. The point here is that newsstands that grade high are rare. I may not seek out newsstand comics but I would prefer them because they are not commonplace. Same goes for Mark Jewelers but they are even tougher to find and also are often mangled to sh*t.

Can anyone tell me if there are newsstand 2nd prints of comics?

Can anyone tell me if there are newsstand 2nd prints of comics?

I could be wrong, but i could swear ive seen a New Mutants 100 second print with a barcode.

But, yeah generally no the 2nd prints were mostly for the direct market.