• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Jumping ahead in the story... 

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg70.html

"To resolve my ethics problem, I had a discussion with my good friend, Michael Hobson. Michael was then the Vice President of Publishing at Marvel. I explained the situation to him, pointing out that nearly half of the comics had originally come from Marvel, and that Marvel thus had the greatest potential legal claim to these books. I offered, if he wanted, to give him all the details on the warehouse. For all I knew, he might want to follow some course of legal action against the owners. To my surprise, Michael told me to go ahead and buy the deal if I wanted. He stated that as far as Marvel was concerned, there was no reasonable basis to pursue any legal remedies, if for no other reason than the fact that all the material was at least six years old, and that he believed that the contractual statute of limitations had run out."

:roflmao:

11 hours ago, valiantman said:

Still a beautiful visualization of vague exactness...

direct_newsstand.png

It seems like we often see premiums for the later newsstand issues.  Does anyone recall examples of sellers asking more for the somewhat hard-to-find copies of the earliest direct sales issues?

11 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

It seems like we often see premiums for the later newsstand issues.  Does anyone recall examples of sellers asking more for the somewhat hard-to-find copies of the earliest direct sales issues?

Yes. I have sold the earliest ones for a premium. Nothing crazy, but OPG for a mid-grade spidey or cap as opposed to a discount from Opg

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I would be fascinated to find out the following about this ads:

1. How many orders were actually fulfilled?

2. What were the actual grades of the books that were sent out?

Hard to read but looks like big money (for 1980) on wwbn 32 even in 1980, evicerating the idea that it was worthless until 10 years ago. Mind you, every other mk appearance outside of splatt was kind of worthless (I used to get 1 and the spotlight app out of $1 boxes all the time)

On 9/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I would be fascinated to find out the following about this ads:

1. How many orders were actually fulfilled?

2. What were the actual grades of the books that were sent out?

I recall one of the Mile High comic book stores in Denver had several Mile High II comics on their wall back in the mid-90's and I never bought any of them (the price was somewhere around 50 bucks if I recall correctly).  Then around 2005 I saw several Mile High II's that were CGC'd on Mile High's website and they all topped out around 9.6.   I bought JLA 134 Mile High II CGC 9.6 for $60 in 2005 just to have one (not really a good buy, but what the heck... just wanted to have one to see what it was like...  I immediately cracked it out of the slab).   

Edited by Cpt Kirk

7 hours ago, divad said:

I really don't think that the Mile High II's deserve as much of the "stigma" that they get . . . they're only books fergawdsakes. :sumo:

I agree.  Just another warehouse find.  If a Mile High II at 9.6 were to sell at same time as regular 9.6, I wouldn't expert there to be any significant price difference.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:08 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

I agree.  Just another warehouse find.  If a Mile High II at 9.6 were to sell at same time as regular 9.6, I wouldn't expert there to be any significant price difference.

Legend has it carbonaro was buying 500 copies of each of the marvels in the mid 70s to salt away.  Heck, I once bought 15copies of black panther 2 from him. I doubt chuck had that much quantity. 

One area of newsstand discussion that I find is often overlooked is in respect of annuals. There is a lot of excitement, say, for regular Amazing Spider-Man newsstand issues later in the run with issues like #694 commanding huge premiums and even finders fees.

In my experience, although going back about 5-7 years, some of the last newsstand ASM annuals were at least as scarce but rarely if ever attracted attention.

The GCD doesn't have any newsstand versions listed for annual 35, 36 and 38 for example:

ann35.thumb.PNG.7de066f716d8e06beed18aa62273ce7e.PNG

To my knowledge, #37 and 39 were not produced as newsstand copies which, if still the case (it's a long time since I last looked) is itself an indicator of relative scarcity. I've never seen a 36, but owned a 35 and 38 in my time. Both are nothing special as issues in themselves and they barely scrape $8 sales as direct editions.

But a quick check of eBay, Google, Amazon, Mile High, Mycomicshop etc etc shows not one single newsstand copy available to purchase. 29 direct editions in the 33 results for annual #35, and all the sales are also directs:

1489895850_ann3529.thumb.PNG.f20bc66c33011465c6cd7ca019248ed8.PNG

It's the same for #38

So, if I was Chuck I would probably feel justified slapping a 100x premium on these issues in newsstand. They do appear to be that scarce comparative to their direct edition cousins. But as far as actual buyers goes, no one seems interested in collecting them. I sold a large ASM newsstand run to a fellow collector but they didn't want the annuals. It's almost like annuals 'don't matter' somehow.

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts from me. If you find an ASM annual in newsstand for #35 and 38, you'll likely be holding a comic of some comparative scarcity. Which no one, it seems, wants!