• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

Now for vast majority of coppers which are junk, maybe it doesn't matter since nobody wants them either way.

Blasphemy! You should be banished from the Copper Forum for even uttering such helacious words! :insane::kidaround:

Generally there is no price difference because not enough people care either way. And it will most likely always be that way.

-J.

Only people who say this wish they had newstands. There is clearly a difference

Generally there is no price difference because not enough people care either way. And it will most likely always be that way.

-J.

Only people who say this are the ones who were suckered into paying more for a news stand. Clearly most people don't care about the difference.

-J.

Only people who say this are the ones who were suckered into paying more for a news stand. Clearly most people don't care about the difference.

-J.

What "sucker"?

Newsstands and direct editions originally cost the same.

In some cases, newsstands were cheaper.

The back issue market often shows 10 direct editions for every 1 newsstand. A bigger disparity if you want high grade.

No difference?

Nevermind that barcode on the cover... the great and powerful -J. has spoken.

-J.

What "sucker"?

The back issue market often shows 10 direct editions for every 1 newsstand. A bigger disparity if you want high grade.

No difference?

That wasn't intended for you valiant, I just found it silly that the other poster presumed to know my collection or read my (or anyone else's) mind. It's like I already said, if a person likes having news stands and feels it appropriate to pay more for one, that's just a-ok. (thumbs u

-J.

People once considered Whitman logo DCs as junky reprints.

People once considered later printings in general, as junky reprints.

Those are now being sought out as desirable "variants"

To say that newsstand copies will never be coveted is an unknowable thing.

I agree with you.

I also know that I, today, would definitely pay at least 10% more for a Darkhawk #1 CGC 9.8 Newsstand edition.

So if someone put it up for auction on ebay or clink or wherever you auction, it would probably go for more than a direct edition. Does this prove that EVERYONE would pay a premium? of course not. Does it prove that paying a premium isn't stupid? Of course not. The market is the market, people want certain comics to varying degrees sometimes for the same reasons, and sometimes for different reasons.

-J.

What "sucker"?

No difference?

That wasn't intended for you valiant, I just found it silly that the other poster presumed to know my collection or read my (or anyone else's) mind. It's like I already said, if a person likes having news stands and feels it appropriate to pay more for one, that's just a-ok. (thumbs u

-J.

lol Obviously it's not a-ok to you. Your derision to those who choose to pay more for newsstand copies comes through loud and clear in this post.

-J.

-J.

Newsstands get really hard to find around 1999-current. I don't know the future for the current newsstand editions since many stores stopped selling them. Barnes & Noble is probably one of the last ones that do. The era to collect for low printed is the 2000's and up. High grades are few compared to the plenty of direct editions.

When you see Bob Overstreet address these newsstand editions in his COMIC BIBLE, then you will see the comic community/market for sure embrace them and prices will move accordingly.....up!

Edited by fufat70

+1

This. In spades. :sumo: