• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

I completely understand. (thumbs u

No, you don't :(

Saying he's wrong and expecting everyone to believe you, based solely on your word with no supporting evidence, does nothing to move the discussion forward. He, at least, has cited some sources. You have cited nothing.

Saying he's wrong and expecting everyone to believe you, based solely on your word with no supporting evidence, does nothing to move the discussion forward. He, at least, has cited some sources. You have cited nothing.

hm

Actually, I do. I agree with your points completely. Except for this last one. I don't expect anything.

The ironic thing in the original discussion is that, perhaps the major reason I stopped buying comics in 1976 was someone's silly idea to put a barcode on the front of the comic. There was absolutely no reason this couldn't have been put on the back of the comic.

1984-1987: 2-3 Direct copies to every 1 newsstand.

1988-1990: 4-6 Direct copies to every 1 newsstand.

1991-1993: 5-10 Direct copies to every 1 newsstand.

1994-1997: 10-20 Direct copies to every 1 newsstand.

1998-2002: 40-50 Direct copies to every 1 newsstand.

2003-up: 100-1,000 Direct copies to every 1 newsstand.

So then you do agree that from 1984-up newsstand copies ARE rarer than their direct market counterparts?

This thread is a hoot, too.

And all I wanted was a little advice about my UXM 282.

:shrug: :lol: ;)

-slym

I've avoided posting in this thread, as there are some strong opinions, and some rather cutting remarks, being made.

But I will say this, as my perspective.

Newsstand copies from 1976 to 1984 are as plentiful in ultra high grade, if not moreso, than direct market copies, because that's what people were still used to. Comic shops did not flourish in America until the late 80's. Those who were inclined to keeping high grade copies were still buying them mostly from the newsstand. Newsstand sales account for 70-100% of the market during this period.

Newsstand copies from 1985-1993 waned, but did not totally disappear. Depending on the book, there are probably 1/2 as many high grade copies as there are direct market copies. Obviously, this average goes down the farther down the road we get. Comic shops dominated the landscape, and most buying shifted from the newsstand to the comic shop during this period. Newsstand sales, however, still accounted for between 20-40% of the entire market during this period.

Newsstand copies from 1994-2002 in ultra high grade are scarce to very scarce, as traditional newsstands either limited their orders, or stopped carrying comics altogether, and the vast majority of purchases were made at comics speciality stores. While newsstand sales still accounted for a decent chunk (10-20%), it was not significant, and when print runs plummeted in the late 90's, the newsstand was not unaffected.

Newsstand copies from 2003-2014 are quite scarce in ultra high grade, as newsstand distribution essentially vanished as a means of comics distribution in North America (with notable exceptions), and Marvel even pulled out of the newsstand distribution chain entirely, after 70 years of publication to that market.

Now...what are we most concerned with here? The period essentially from 1982-1993, right? (Roughly, let's not quibble over exact dates, folks.)

My personal preference is, and always has been, for the direct market copies. They have, since 1979/80, had "nicer" cover art, logo, price boxes, etc. I *hate* the look of the UPC code....it's all so very grocery store to me. I don't mind having UPC copies, but I would prefer a direct copy as well. I much, much, MUCH prefer the Marvel skinny diamonds to the "M", and even the square price box of 1987-1993-ish is preferable to the Curtis code and UPC lines. I MUCH prefer the neat DC price boxes of 1983-1992-ish, with the prices in the US, Can, and the UK...over the garish giant number and price of the newsstands (Canadian pricing being the exception.)

In 1994, the UPC become standard, so it really didn't matter much anymore.

Plus...the dialog and art in the UPC box has almost always been interesting to me, especially the McFarlane Amazing Spidey #303-311 box numbering, and later art, that graced the box. If I have to take a UPC, I'll take it...but I'll pick a direct over a UPC, presented with equal opportunity.

Now...will people pay a premium for the newsstand copies in ultra high grade? They might...but experience has shown that overall, people still prefer the direct market books to the newsstand books, even in ultra high grade.

Are newsstand copies substantially rare enough in ultra high grade over their direct counterparts to warrant a premium? For a book like New Teen Titans #2, definitely not. For a book like Spidey #300? Ehhhh....it was a double sized book, so it's not really fair to compare...doubles ALWAYS got more beat up on the newsstand. For a book like, say, Batman #427? Probably not, because the direct copy has a special feature...the infamous phone number...that the newsstand did not have. For a book like, say, Batman Adventures #12, which is substantially rarer than its direct counterpart in ultra high grade? Sure.

(By the way...for those of you wondering about that Batman #427? They did that because the newsstands got the books AFTER the direct market, and by the time they got their copies, the deadline to call was already past...forgot about that one when discussing that in the other thread.)

Again, the market has not made a premium distinction between either one, especially in ultra high grade, simply because the books of the (1982-1993) time period just aren't that much rarer, and are oftentimes much, much more common, in all grades, to establish a premium for ultra high grade (9.6+)

But if the newsstand books appeal to you...and believe me, after the 1994 changeover, I much prefer having, and actively pursue, BOTH versions...then by all means, pay a premium for the ultra high grade copies, and the market will respond by bringing you more opportunities to buy them.

Overall, though? At least for the Bronze/Copper ages, it's just not that big a deal, so it's probably going to remain pretty much even on average for the eras for either version.

PS. The DC whitmans are not reprints. ;)

Great post and I agree! When i was collecting the Mcfarlanes ASM's graded I would not even look at a newstand verison. It had to be direct! I loved what Mcfarlane did in the corner boxes.

The ironic thing in the original discussion is that, perhaps the major reason I stopped buying comics in 1976 was someone's silly idea to put a barcode on the front of the comic. There was absolutely no reason this couldn't have been put on the back of the comic.

In this, at least, we agree completely.

I've often wondered why they couldn't put it on the back.

So then you do agree that from 1984-up newsstand copies ARE rarer than their direct market counterparts?

Newsstand copies from 1985-1993 waned, but did not totally disappear. Depending on the book, there are probably 1/2 as many high grade copies as there are direct market copies. Obviously, this average goes down the farther down the road we get.

Newsstand copies from 1985-1993 waned, but did not totally disappear. Depending on the book, there are probably 1/2 as many high grade copies as there are direct market copies. Obviously, this average goes down the farther down the road we get.

I hope that just about anyone can see that the above is pure conjecture. RMA hasn't cited a single fact which supports these conclusions. In fact, he even deleted his "supposition" disclaimer in the original post.

I hope that just about anyone can see that the above is pure conjecture. RMA hasn't cited a single fact which supports these conclusions. In fact, he even deleted his "supposition" disclaimer in the original post.

:facepalm:

One more post on the subject...and this is supposition...educated supposition, but supposition nonetheless. Here's a handy chart about how I view the availability of ultra high grade (9.6+) newsstands vs. Direct copies by groups of years:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=44&Number=7522932&Searchpage=1&Main=330658&Words=supposition+RockMyAmadeus&topic=0&Search=true#Post7522932

:screwy:

You don't even know which post you're referring to, do you...?

This is the second time in a week that you have, without referring to the original post, taken someone's EDITED quote as the UNEDITED version.

Why are you doing this?

Yes, the one right above. Now who's demeaning whom?

See the added comments. If you don't understand that OTHER PEOPLE have the ability to EDIT previous comments when they QUOTE them, how can anyone take your other comments seriously?

Spew away RMA, you're in control. Anyone who preaches the gospel of greed by posting a Fox News Interview of Milton Friedman has no empathy for anyone or anything.

This is a DONAHUE interview from 1979....

....SEVENTEEN YEARS before Fox News existed.

:facepalm:

Btw, seriously, are you brain dead? Where is my name in the above?

As if that makes a difference. lol

So, if you say it, the facts don't matter.

If I say it, the facts are all that matter.

hm

I'm gonna go read some funny books. Like I said,it's your thread - have at it. :grin:

Just stop, Dunbar. :facepalm:

So we're all agreed that there are fewer newsstand copies from 1984-forward. Therefore they're rarer than their direct market counterparts. This is a hobby where bragging rights often matter. In recent years we've seen that print runs matter. Putting those two things together, many collectors are starting to seek out newsstand copies because as we've all agreed upon...... they're not as plentiful. I've already started seeing a slight price difference in the books I sell. Put the same two books up for sale in the same condition, the newsstand sells quicker and slightly higher. It's not a huge difference at the moment but the market is gradually moving that direction. I'm not sure why we're arguing that point. It seems evident.