• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Estimating value for submission form?

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys I am a bit new around here so please bear with me...

When submitting comics and trying to determine what tier they should be submitted for how do you determine FMV if you don't know what grade they are yet? Should I just use my best guess based on my own opinion of grade? or is there some more objective way of determining the proper value, both for completion of the form and also to determine which tier is appropriate?

Thank you

When submitting comics and trying to determine what tier they should be submitted for how do you determine FMV if you don't know what grade they are yet? Should I just use my best guess based on my own opinion of grade? or is there some more objective way of determining the proper value, both for completion of the form and also to determine which tier is appropriate?

Thank you

The value you place on the form is for insurance purposes (so you declare the value in case something happens) but they will charge you the appropriate grading fee based on what you write on the form.

Thank you

The value you place on the form is for insurance purposes (so you declare the value in case something happens) but they will charge you the appropriate grading fee based on what you write on the form.

Ah very good! Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation

This is where the OSPG comes in handy with its prices.

:whistle:

-slym

Agreed.... I just wasn't sure because the variation in value is so great across different grades and ultimately grade is exactly the issue in question.

What is the best tier to use when submitting comics like Amazing Spider-Man #13 & 14 , Fantastic Four # 27 & 33 ? I am New here and plan on submitting these comics soon .I appreciate your help / information on using the suitable method for submission.

Thank You

What is the best tier to use when submitting comics like Amazing Spider-Man #13 & 14 , Fantastic Four # 27 & 33 ? I am New here and plan on submitting these comics soon .I appreciate your help / information on using the suitable method for submission.

Thank You

What do you mean by best tier?

There is no 'best' tier.

It all depends on what they are worth and how soon you want them back.

Thank You

Yes, see what Roy said above. However, if you are submitting four books, I would join the collectors society and use the free coupon for those four books. If they are high grade, you could save a bundle.

So correct me if I'm wrong but I asked a CGC rep regarding this a while back. If you undervalue the tier, they will call you and upgrade you, won't complete the process unless it's "properly" valued. On the flip side if you overvalue it and it could have been a lower tier, your stuck paying the price. With that said if I'm ever right on the border I will go with the lower tier.

So basically if I had a book that was near the $1000 tier lets say, if I chose the lower tier and CGC graded it and it came out to a 7.0, if that 7.0 book is actually worth $1000, CGC will call you and you would be responsible for the difference between the tiers. If it only came back a 6.0, and the 6.0 value was the lower tier, your good.

Anyone have knowledge of anything to the contrary?

If you submit a book not knowing thats its restored you'll really be overpaying big time to have your book graded! CGC should refund part of your submission fees when the book is submitted as being unrestored and then CGC finds out the book is restored and worth a lot less! In all fairness they should do that since if the book submitted is determined to be worth a lot more than estimated value you'll be getting a phone call to let you know your CGC bill is going to be bigger! So I can understand increasing the grading fee if the book is more valuable but where is the partial refund if the book is less valuable? EJR

The charge for tier is based on the value of the book as is. Not the value of the book with a new perceived value after grading. So in the "close to 1000.00" example, the grading fee is based on the raw value, since that determines the tier. If the book is worth more after being graded, then that is great, but does not affect the tier you paid for.

The issue on some books, is that if you have a book that is worth 500.00 raw, that you are pretty sure will be a 1500.00 after getting it graded, then you may decide to declare the value at the higher end, simply for return insurance purposes. In this situation, you are choosing to pay more for the service, not CGC.

Hope that makes a little bit of sense.

The charge for tier is based on the value of the book as is. Not the value of the book with a new perceived value after grading. So in the "close to 1000.00" example, the grading fee is based on the raw value, since that determines the tier. If the book is worth more after being graded, then that is great, but does not affect the tier you paid for.

The issue on some books, is that if you have a book that is worth 500.00 raw, that you are pretty sure will be a 1500.00 after getting it graded, then you may decide to declare the value at the higher end, simply for return insurance purposes. In this situation, you are choosing to pay more for the service, not CGC.

Hope that makes a little bit of sense.

A few months ago CGC told me the contrary. They said that if you are near the tier breakpoint and you submit the lower tier, CGC said they will contact you to upgrade to the proper tier and you will be responsible for the difference. However if you overestimate the tier and it's actually lower they do not issue a refund and you were "stuck" with paying the higher amount. Thats what their customer service rep told me.

Again it may be slightly different than you post but the grade needs to be in the ballpark for the right tier. like if a 6.0 is worth $900 but a 6.5 is over $1k, if you submit the lower tier and it actually is a 6.5 which would bump it to the next tier CGC would collect from what they told me. :shrug:

So, for argument's sake... what happens if my Manifest Destiny #1 Ottley variant comes back a 9.9? How does CGC find the value for that? I have my submission on the Modern tier, so if a book breaks $200 in "value," they will bump it up to the next tier, and I quess I can sorta see that if my UXM 141 hits 9.8, they will bump it up (BTW, it won't get 9.8 :P ,) but is there even a MD 9.9 to compare?

hm

-slym

So, for argument's sake... what happens if my Manifest Destiny #1 Ottley variant comes back a 9.9? How does CGC find the value for that? I have my submission on the Modern tier, so if a book breaks $200 in "value," they will bump it up to the next tier, and I quess I can sorta see that if my UXM 141 hits 9.8, they will bump it up (BTW, it won't get 9.8 :P ,) but is there even a MD 9.9 to compare?

hm

-slym

The only thing they told me is if the book is determined to be more valuable than the tier it was submitted under, CGC will contact you for the difference and will not release the book until it is paid. Thats just what they told me, I'm just passing along the info. I don't know if it's correct, outdated, or what.

Value declared = Raw value. Anything that got graded is AFTER value.

Like everyone said earlier, value declared is for INSURANCE purposes AFTER it got graded and ship back to you.

Even if your MD hit 10.0, it's still modern, $18 grading fee. You can ask that question in the Ask CGC. Everything is just my opinion.

AnhDep is correct. If they charged you based on the perceived value of the book AFTER it was graded, that would present an incredibly large ethical issue.

Here is my Manifest Destiny, it costs 18.00 to grade. Then CGC says, you know, it looks like a 10.0, so you have to pay more? That would not be good.

The reason that CGC will adjust the price charged is when you grossly misrepresent the value of a book. If you submitted an Action Comics #1, to use a ridiculous example, under the Economy Tier, and valued it at 200.00, they would correct this because it is nowhere near correct.

You valuing a book at 950.00, when it is worth somewhere between 900.00 and 1050.00 RAW, should not cause an issue with the fees, as it is certainly in the realm of reality.