• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the top 10 marvel silver keys?
3 3

187 posts in this topic

I agree GSXM 1 gives us the X-Men which everyone prefers (well at least I do). But come on Magneto and Professor X in X-Men 1 make it such a huge key and ultimately more important that GSXM 1 IMO.

Hmmm Magneto and Prof X vs the all new all diff Cockrum/Clairmont Xmen... (tsk)

Not denying what Cockrum/Clairmont did to the X-Men wasn't fantastic, but they don't have the building blocks without Professor X and Magneto. Plus Magneto is one of the best Marvel Villains (I am entirely biased here).

I agree. Perhaps if GSX1 introduced Wolverine then it would be bigger than Xmen 1, but it didnt... We really only get Storm, Warpath, Colossus and Nightcrawler. That isn't bigger than jean grey, cyclops, iceman, beast, magneto, angel and professor X.

I think your biased because that Kirby fella had something to do w Xmen #1 :foryou:

But.... I still think the power of GSX 1 was the "synergy" of the new Xmen team. This was the rebirth-Boost of Hero genre. I know Star Wars was huge for Marvel, but Conan and Monster mags were not going to keep the lights on beyond the 70s.

Im baffled how this could even be an argument...

do a little experiment here and simply ask yourself or x-fans the following;

would you rather have a sharp looking cgc 6.0-8.0 X-men #1 or a cgc 9.6-9.8 GSX#1..??

Literally every X-fan Ive ever asked immediately says X-men #1..

-nuff said

Be baffled - I would take GSX in 9.8 over Xmen1 in Fine range. It is a good thing we all have different favorites else some comics would be worthless and others so expensive no one could afford them : )

This is true. Different strokes for different folks. :thumbsup:

I personally prefer X-men 1 if doing an apples to apples comparison value-wise. An X1 in 6.0 is equal to a GS1 in 9.8. In that instance it comes down to visual appeal for me. I'd take a gorgeous 9.8 over a fugly 6.0. (Of course I'd then sell it and buy a visually appealing X1. :grin: )

I agree GSXM 1 gives us the X-Men which everyone prefers (well at least I do). But come on Magneto and Professor X in X-Men 1 make it such a huge key and ultimately more important that GSXM 1 IMO.

Not denying what Cockrum/Clairmont did to the X-Men wasn't fantastic, but they don't have the building blocks without Professor X and Magneto. Plus Magneto is one of the best Marvel Villains (I am entirely biased here).

I agree. Perhaps if GSX1 introduced Wolverine then it would be bigger than Xmen 1, but it didnt... We really only get Storm, Warpath, Colossus and Nightcrawler. That isn't bigger than jean grey, cyclops, iceman, beast, magneto, angel and professor X.

I think your biased because that Kirby fella had something to do w Xmen #1 :foryou:

But.... I still think the power of GSX 1 was the "synergy" of the new Xmen team. This was the rebirth-Boost of Hero genre. I know Star Wars was huge for Marvel, but Conan and Monster mags were not going to keep the lights on beyond the 70s.

would you rather have a sharp looking cgc 6.0-8.0 X-men #1 or a cgc 9.6-9.8 GSX#1..??

-nuff said

Be baffled - I would take GSX in 9.8 over Xmen1 in Fine range. It is a good thing we all have different favorites else some comics would be worthless and others so expensive no one could afford them : )

I personally prefer X-men 1 if doing an apples to apples comparison value-wise. An X1 in 6.0 is equal to a GS1 in 9.8. In that instance it comes down to visual appeal for me. I'd take a gorgeous 9.8 over a fugly 6.0. (Of course I'd then sell it and buy a visually appealing X1. :grin: )

Well if they are the same value then that means the market demand implies I am not alone in my thinking. :headbang:

Also FWIW, the way I answered the ques was not taking value into account such that I would "sell" it. If someone offered me one or other and arrangement was that I cannot sell it, i could only return it, I would want the GSX 1. I really like that era of Xmen...art, stories, all the way up to the late 80s. yeah, Kirby is greatness, but the orig xmen is prob least favorite SA key next to Spiderman... yeah, I just never got into spidey like other folks, but I did try... bought new/back issues off and on for 10yrs. Even had AF 15. I think what really killed spidey for me was Secret Wars 8... just down hill from there.

-nuff said

Well if they are the same value then that means the market demand implies I am not alone in my thinking. :headbang:

Also FWIW, the way I answered the ques was not taking value into account such that I would "sell" it. If someone offered me one or other and arrangement was that I cannot sell it, i could only return it, I would want the GSX 1. I really like that era of Xmen...art, stories, all the way up to the late 80s. yeah, Kirby is greatness, but the orig xmen is prob least favorite SA key next to Spiderman... yeah, I just never got into spidey like other folks, but I did try... bought new/back issues off and on for 10yrs. Even had AF 15. I think what really killed spidey for me was Secret Wars 8... just down hill from there.

That is a unique view for sure. Most people would refer to the disastrous clone saga as the thing that destroyed Spidey in the eyes of mainstrream fans. Secret Wars 8 was awesome in my opinion. Gave us the precursor to the most popular villain of the last 30 years.

And I can't answer any "would you rather have X or Y?" question without taking value into consideration. Sure I like X1 better than GSX1, but I'm not stupid. Whenver were talking about 1000s of dollars, return on investment has to be a concern. At least in the part of the pond I'm swimming in...

I'm in the air as I love the idea of Dr Strange, and I consider him up there in the Daredevil class of "B" characters from the 60's. I think he is finally getting some love and long overdue, but in comparison to all the others he is not in the top ten yet. With the upcoming movie and if it's marketed well, he will move up the list. It's all about recognition, let's face it the Daredevil movie did not work, so I am cautious when writing this.

8 hours ago, c_mkv said:

I don't think I could ring em off 1-11 but could see them in tiers.

Tier1:

FF1

AF15

Hulk1

Tier 2:

Xmen1 (I'd put this in tier 1 except I'd be in the minority)

Jim83

TOS39

Tier3:

ST110

FF48

TTA27

ASM1

FF5

Avengers1

This is a great list.  As much as I love FF 48, I'm not really sure it's on the same level with those other Tier 3 books.  It seems to me it would be in a "Tier 4" that would include books like JIM 85, TOS 52, FF 52, etc.  Also you left out DD 1 and TTA 35 (perhaps on purpose) -- those would be two more books on the bubble between Tier 3 and Tier 4.

11 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This is a great list.  As much as I love FF 48, I'm not really sure it's on the same level with those other Tier 3 books.  It seems to me it would be in a "Tier 4" that would include books like JIM 85, TOS 52, FF 52, etc.  Also you left out DD 1 and TTA 35 (perhaps on purpose) -- those would be two more books on the bubble between Tier 3 and Tier 4.

Yup...totally forgot about dd1...tier 3 for sure. I’ve always loved the surfer and am probably a little biased. Never loved TTA35 though and I think you’re right about a 4th tier....I’d include FF4 and Avengers 4 in the 4th tier as they’re not first appearances

Edited by c_mkv

4 hours ago, c_mkv said:

Galactus in 3rd? 

Among the cosmic villains I really think Thanos is on top -- the problem (for me) with Galactus is that he's more of a force of nature than a villain.  The best villains let you inside their heads just enough that you can understand and relate to what motivates them, or even be surprised at how much you can relate to them.  It's been decades since a writer did anything really interesting or memorable with Galactus, unfortunately -- he's usually a backdrop to the real action of a story.

Personally if I were picking a third villain for the top tier I would go with Loki.  The Red Skull has the longest history (in terms of first appearance in the comics, not as measured against the lifespan of Loki or Galactus), but he's a bit one-note for me.

4 hours ago, c_mkv said:

Galactus in 3rd? 

47 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Among the cosmic villains I really think Thanos is on top -- the problem (for me) with Galactus is that he's more of a force of nature than a villain.  The best villains let you inside their heads just enough that you can understand and relate to what motivates them, or even be surprised at how much you can relate to them.  It's been decades since a writer did anything really interesting or memorable with Galactus, unfortunately -- he's usually a backdrop to the real action of a story.

Personally if I were picking a third villain for the top tier I would go with Loki.  The Red Skull has the longest history (in terms of first appearance in the comics, not as measured against the lifespan of Loki or Galactus), but he's a bit one-note for me.

If I were picking a third I would probably pick Thanos  for the same reasons mentioned above.  But if we are sticking to the Silver Age then Loki, Galactus, And Kingpin come to mind

The problem with Marvel villain history insofar as naming a Hall of Fame-style list is there's only a few who have been consistently great antagonists. Marvel history, and it's not necessarily a bad thing, is its full of villains who have been great in short bursts, one or two story arcs, then not used again or never used again at the same level of story quality. Examples of what I mean: Graviton (1st app Avengers 158-159), Korvac (long Avengers saga culminating in 177), Nebulon (early Defenders appearances), Proteus (X-Men 128), etc.

Fully developed, sustainable villains like Doom, Magneto, Kingpin, Loki etc are tough. I agree Galactus is more like a very important supporting character than a villain, though he's always an ominous threat. 

Toward the thread's original intent, I'll add Sgt Fury #1 to the top honorable mentions list as he's pretty arguably Marvel's top supporting character-level from the hero side, after Hank Pym. These two are to Marvel the Martian Manhunter is to DC's universe, IMO.

1 hour ago, makeminemarvel said:

No love for Norman Osborne?

Great Spider-Man villain - but no real impact on the Marvel universe and not really a crossover villain (although maybe they changed this in copper/modern?). Also, I am not even sure he is the best Spidey villain (Doc Ock and Venom come to mind).