• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the top 10 marvel silver keys?
3 3

187 posts in this topic

hm

I'll go with (top 3 are no question!)

1) amazing fantasy 15

2) fantastic four 1

3) hulk 1

----------------

4) x-men 1

5) tales of suspense 39

6) journey into mystery 83

7) amazing spiderman 1

8) fantastic four 5

9) avengers 1

10) daredevil 1

--------------

Honorable mentions in no order

Strange tales 110

Amazing spiderman 3

Avengers 4

Tales to astonish 27

Tales to astonish 35

Srg fury 1

How about a different take...ranked in terms of both historical importance and modern relevance. This was off the top of my head, and I'd probably change it depending on the day of the week.

1) Amazing Fantasy #15

First app. of Marvel's flagship character.

2) Fantastic Four #1

The birth of Stan Lee's Marvel Universe.

3) Amazing Spider-Man #1

First Marvel-age crossover, first issue of flagship character's solo title, milestone for continuity.

4) X-Men #1

First app. of Marvel's most popular team. Seven X-Men brand films have followed.

5) Tales of Suspense #39

First app. of a Hollywood blockbuster character. Iron Man 3 out-performed Man of Steel at the box office.

6) Avengers #1

First app. of a team featured in the third highest grossing film in history.

7) Incredible Hulk #1

First app. of an iconic Marvel character.

8) Avengers #4

Return of Captain America, another milestone for Marvel Universe continuity.

9) Journey Into Mystery #83

First app. of increasingly-popular Marvel character.

10) Fantastic Four #5

First app. of arguably, Marvel's most iconic villain.

I have to agree to this, historically and relevance in todays pop culture of movies.

But to me ironman was always a B grade character and it was only a fine -script and unbelievable chance at casting Robert Downey jnr who put in an incredible performance has pushed Ironman to A grade status and big demand for TOS 39. (thumbs u

Personally, I think there are 15 Marvel books worth mentioning as 'top tier' SA keys:

1.) Amazing Fantasy 15

2.) Fantastic Four 1

3.) Incredible Hulk 1

4.) Tales of Suspense 39

5.) X-Men 1

6.) Journey into Mystery 83

7.) Fantastic Four 5

8.) Tales to Astonish 27

9.) Avengers 1

10.) Avengers 4

----------------------------------------

11.) Strange Tales 110

12.) Daredevil 1

13.) Sgt. Fury 1

14.) Amazing Spiderman 1

15.) Tales to Astonish 35

I have always considered 14 books to be the Heart of the Marvel Universe, and these are almost they. I include TTA 27 OR 35, but not both, and I replace FF 5 with FF 4. Those 14 give you the key books that feature everyone who had their own successful series during the prime years of the Marvel Age. Villains are great, but I think the MU would be much the same if you removed any of them. Even Doom.

If I were to include a 15th book, based solely on "importance/impact"; then I'd be tempted to add Rawhide Kid #17. The Marvel Age was a product of the magical collaboration of Jack Kirby and Stan Lee, and RHK 17 was the first time the two worked together on a continuing hero series. Much of the House of Ideas' foundation was laid in those comics.

Very well said! I was considering putting FF4 in my top 15 instead of TTA35, but I don't think the general public knows who Subby is. I wouldn't be surprised if FF4 blew up in importance if Fox announced a movie about the character...

My list goes something like:

1) Amazing Fantasy #15

2) Fantastic Four #1

3) Hulk #1

4) X-Men #1

5) TOS #39

6) JIM #83

7) Avengers #1

8) ASM #1

9) Daredevil #1

10) Strange Tales #110

------------------------------------------

Villians/reintroduction/B hero tier

11) Avengers #4

12) FF #5

13) ASM #3 or #14 (hard for me to choose between them as Spidey's key villian)

14) FF #4

15) TTA #27 or #35 (I lean towards #35 as the 1st appearance)

The OP posed this question as the Top 10 in terms of Importance/Impact. So, based on that (and not my personal preferences, value, movie hype, etc.) here's my list:

1. AF 15 (hey, 1st Spidey. 'nuff said)

2. ASM 1 (Continuation of the most popular comics character of the last 50 years, 1st appearance of: The Daily Bugle; J Jonah Jameson; John Jameson (later Man-Wolf); 1st appearance of the Chameleon; tied with FF 12 as 1st Silver Age Marvel x-over)

3. FF #1 (1st key silver age Marvel book)

4. X-Men #1 (The Mutant Age begins here, and so does Magneto. Although it would take a while for mutuants to pick up steam, this is where it all started)

5. ToS 39 (The metal age hero and key founding member of the Avengers joins the Marvel universe)

6. Hulk #1 (Monster as the lead title character. Clearly, the Atom Age monster features are bridging the gap towards the Superhero resurgance)

7. JIM 83 (Hark, the G-ds have entered the Silver Age fray. Also, no Thor = no Loki, and No Loki = no Avengers?)

8. FF#5 (1st Dr. Doom is cannot be overemphasized. He is the baddie that has plagued all Marvel heroes and he's also the 1st Marvel villain to command his own series)

9. FF#4 (1st Subby is the bridge that binds GA Marvel to SA Marvel. Mayeb no Captain America in Avengers #4 if it weren't for this book. What's that, Timmy? You didn't know Marvel Comics existed before FF#1?)

10. Avengers #1 (Great showcase for Marvel's heroes, with ever-changing lineup and a good excuse to defrost Captain America and re-introduce him to the Marvel Universe)

Others:

Strange Tales 110 is a dull thud. 4th tier character unable to hold his own title with any great publication frequency. Ditko art was brilliant, and so was Steranko, but let's be honest here and agree the character had no impact.

TTA 27. Aside from creating Ultron, Hank Pym's impact to the Marvel Universe has been what, exactly? Definitely shouldn't be in the Top 10 above the other books in my list.

DD1. bwa ha haa! Oh wait, some of you were serious?

Fantastic Four #1

Fantastic Four #2

Fantastic Four #3

Fantastic Four #4

Fantastic Four #5

Fantastic Four #6

Fantastic Four #7

Fantastic Four #8

Fantastic Four #9

Fantastic Four #10

(Just trolling, but these threads make me laugh)… :insane:

I just don't understand the love for FF #4...

ST #110, DD #1 and TTA #27 are more important in my book.

That’s your problem… :baiting:lol

(Agreed on the others anyway, all three of them). ;)

I just don't understand the love for FF #4...

ST #110, DD #1 and TTA #27 are more important in my book.

I could be wrong, but the rationalization is that with it being the 1st appearance of a Golden Age character (the Sub-Mariner) in the SA universe, it is key because it ushered in Marvel's tapping of various GA characters into the new Silver Age universe. Eventually including Captain America, who did pretty well with his return in the SA.

It's less about the specific appearance of Sub-Mariner, and more about what it represented.

Kind of like the first Silver Age Marvel "crossover" was in FF12 and showed the ongoing strategy that Stan would use to cross-promote and cross-pollinate the Marvel titles into a coherent shared universe.

Edited by Miraclemet

I think Met is pretty spot-on on this… And I was joking… I’m not a big fan of FF#4 compared to others, but it is a very cool issue indeed. (thumbs u

No doubt... I just wouldn't put it in my Top 10-15 (shrug)

I don't think you should limit the "marvel age"to a top 10 as there are more keys than that but if you must i would just go by fair market value to determine the order.

Otherwise you can have a lot f debate over whether AF15 or FF1 is #1 and which book is #10 as there are several books that could fit in. Without counting them up i think a top 15 would more accurately reflect the important books of the era.

1) AF 15

2) FF1

3) IH 1

4) TOS 39

5) JIM 83

6) Avengers 1

7) ST 110

8) TTA 27

9) DD 1

10) Avengers 4

Nice list, I'd swap 3 and 4 but besides that I like it. I'm not a big x men fan but I'd put it at nine

It's interesting how much X-Men 1 seems to fluctuate for people (anywhere from 4 to 9). I understand that its Silver Age impact (at that time) was not as significant, but its effect on the Marvel universe, not to mention dominance of the bronze age (IH 181, GSXM 1, X-Men 94) in my opinion makes it easily the 4th biggest silver-age key - hell I could even put it at number 2. I would be interested to hear why people think a book like TOS 39 or JIM 83 are more important than X-Men 1, as it seems both TOS 39 and JIM 83 only get a bump because of recent movie success.

I also don't get TTA 27 being in the top 10 over something like ASM #1 - but that is just my opinion. I get the appeal for Antman, but he was just never a major character.

It is interesting to see everyone's thoughts though.

Edited by Chillax23