• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the top 10 marvel silver keys?
3 3

187 posts in this topic

It's interesting how much X-Men 1 seems to fluctuate for people. I understand that its Silver Age impact (at that time) was not as significant, but its effect on the Marvel universe, not to mention dominance of the bronze age (IH 181, GSXM 1, X-Men 94) in my opinion makes it easily the 4th biggest silver-age key. I would be interested to hear why people think a book like TOS 39 or JIM 83 are more important than X-Men 1.

I like gsx 1 over x men 1. I don't like the x men that much. Thor is more important to me in the marvel U then x men characters besides wolverine IMO.

I agreed w Gambit for most but made some of my own changes.

(top 3 are no question!)

1) amazing fantasy 15

2) fantastic four 1

3) hulk 1

----------------

4) x-men 1

5) tales of suspense 39

6) journey into mystery 83

7) amazing spiderman 1

8) fantastic four 5

9) Fantastic four 4

10) Avengers 4

--------------

Honorable mentions in no order

Strange tales 110

Avengers 1

Daredevil 1

Tales to astonish 27

Tales to astonish 35

Fantastic Four 48

It's interesting how much X-Men 1 seems to fluctuate for people. I understand that its Silver Age impact (at that time) was not as significant, but its effect on the Marvel universe, not to mention dominance of the bronze age (IH 181, GSXM 1, X-Men 94) in my opinion makes it easily the 4th biggest silver-age key. I would be interested to hear why people think a book like TOS 39 or JIM 83 are more important than X-Men 1.

I like gsx 1 over x men 1. I don't like the x men that much. Thor is more important to me in the marvel U then x men characters besides wolverine IMO.

Ditto - GSX 1 is more of a key to me as well. to prior post ques, I did bump Xmen 1 over TOS 39, and this coming from a IronMan fan for 40yrs! Now I did own most all xmen from 94 up at one time, so I do appreciate Xmen all the same. I think Xmen #1 is like TTA 27, wout TTA 35, it is nothing. Wout IH181/GSX1, Xmen 1 might as well be Atari Force. meh

I agree GSXM 1 gives us the X-Men which everyone prefers (well at least I do). But come on Magneto and Professor X in X-Men 1 make it such a huge key and ultimately more important that GSXM 1 IMO.

Hmmm Magneto and Prof X vs the all new all diff Cockrum/Clairmont Xmen... (tsk)

Edited by Foxtrot70

I agree GSXM 1 gives us the X-Men which everyone prefers (well at least I do). But come on Magneto and Professor X in X-Men 1 make it such a huge key and ultimately more important that GSXM 1 IMO.

Not denying what Cockrum/Clairmont did to the X-Men wasn't fantastic, but they don't have the building blocks without Professor X and Magneto. Plus Magneto is one of the best Marvel Villains (I am entirely biased here).

Not denying what Cockrum/Clairmont did to the X-Men wasn't fantastic, but they don't have the building blocks without Professor X and Magneto. Plus Magneto is one of the best Marvel Villains (I am entirely biased here).

I agree. Perhaps if GSX1 introduced Wolverine then it would be bigger than Xmen 1, but it didnt... We really only get Storm, Warpath, Colossus and Nightcrawler. That isn't bigger than jean grey, cyclops, iceman, beast, magneto, angel and professor X.

Edited by ChasingKingKirby

I agree. Perhaps if GSX1 introduced Wolverine then it would be bigger than Xmen 1, but it didnt... We really only get Storm, Warpath, Colossus and Nightcrawler. That isn't bigger than jean grey, cyclops, iceman, beast, magneto, angel and professor X.

I think your biased because that Kirby fella had something to do w Xmen #1 :foryou:

But.... I still think the power of GSX 1 was the "synergy" of the new Xmen team. This was the rebirth-Boost of Hero genre. I know Star Wars was huge for Marvel, but Conan and Monster mags were not going to keep the lights on beyond the 70s.

I think your biased because that Kirby fella had something to do w Xmen #1 :foryou:

But.... I still think the power of GSX 1 was the "synergy" of the new Xmen team. This was the rebirth-Boost of Hero genre. I know Star Wars was huge for Marvel, but Conan and Monster mags were not going to keep the lights on beyond the 70s.

Not at all. Kirby was the man, but I appreciate the "new" guys too. I just think the breadth of characters introduced in X1 is bigger and better than those introduced in GSX1. I agree the xmen didn't gain wide acclaim until GS1 but that doesn't change the significance of the two issues. :grin:

Not at all. Kirby was the man, but I appreciate the "new" guys too. I just think the breadth of characters introduced in X1 is bigger and better than those introduced in GSX1. I agree the xmen didn't gain wide acclaim until GS1 but that doesn't change the significance of the two issues. :grin:

^Agrees X1 > GSX1

---------------------------------------------------

Magneto, Professor X, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast & Angel > Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus & Thunderbird

Edited by seredynskib

Doom seemed to cross over to other titles a lot more, thus why I would put him at the top of the Marvel U villains list. Goblin seemed like he was trapped in ASM which limited his impact and importance on the universe.

Doom seemed to cross over to other titles a lot more, thus why I would put him at the top of the Marvel U villains list. Goblin seemed like he was trapped in ASM which limited his impact and importance on the universe.

Yeah, I agree with that. As a matter of fact, did Goblin EVER cross-over in the silver age? I can't recall any other titles he appeared in.

Yeah, I agree with that. As a matter of fact, did Goblin EVER cross-over in the silver age? I can't recall any other titles he appeared in.

Other than Spectacular Spidey Magazine #2, I don't recall Gobby being in another Silver Age title outside of ASM

hmmmmm something tells me a top 10 silver age marvel villains is needed.

(1) FF #5 - Doom

(2) X-Men #1 - Magneto

(3) JIM #85 - Loki

(4) ASM #3 - Doc Ock

(5) ASM #14 - Green Goblin

(6) .............