• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does centering affect grade as per CGC...and many other grading questions.

6 posts in this topic

I know this question has been asked a million times, but I cant find a related thread using the search feature. About 10 years ago, I bought a CGC membership and submitted 10 books for grading. All were Sgt. Fury from my personal collection and were acquired through Ebay, local and online comic stores. I meticulously searched through my collection and found the best specimens to send in. These were all late 70's Bronze age books.To my surprise, almost every one came back a much lower grade than I expected (which I gather is not all that uncommon). In the end, I received one 9.4, a couple 9.2's, a 9.0, several 8.5's and even a 8.0. Even now, I still believe the 9.4 is a 9.6. It's the best looking 35 year old book I've ever seen in the flesh. That being said, I'm now a bit head shy because grading isn't cheap. I am ready to try it again, but want to make better choices. This time I am planning to submit some late silver/early bronze age books. Specifically, I have a few Sgt. Fury books between issues 80 and 92 that I am considering for submission. Issue 87 is pristine IMO. It's only potential problem is a slight cover offset that amounts to the black cover line line being on the fold at the top of the book and about 1/16 to maybe an 1/8 inch over the fold to the front at the bottom. Will this detract from the grade or eliminate it from receiving a 9.8, 9.6 or 9.4 grade? In your experience, do the graders take age into account? For example, are they more lenient on a book from 1969 to 1971 than they would be on one from 1977 to 1980? How about one from 1963 or first issues? I have a few silver age Sgt. Fury books graded 9.6 that honestly don't look 9.6 to me. My bronze 9.4 looks way, way nicer than they do...in many aspects including color, reflectivity, and square corners.

Moving on...I would like to get a couple of books re-slabbed in the new holders simply because they are better designed. Will CGC do this? In one instance, I fear one of my pedigree Fury silver age 9.6's may have been damaged (a overhanging edge may have been slightly bent from sliding around in the old style case), even before I bought it. Will they re-grade or de-grade the book if i re-holder it? Should I risk it for better protection or leave it as it sits? Do I still have a 9.6 book because CGC said so years ago before it slid around in the slab? (My books are well cared for by the way.) I also have a couple of books that were previously graded but the previous owner removed them from the case. I still have the labels for both books. Will CGC re-slab them at a discount? Should I just resubmit and hope for better grades (both were in the 3.0 to 4.5 range)? Do you believe that submitting through a dealer rather than directly to CGC results in a skewed grade? Any opinions, facts experiences or other pertinent info is welcomed and appreciated!

Brandon

Brandon, WTTB!

What I learn from the more experienced collectors on this board, CGC only consider GA books for the Age issue and grade slightly less strict than other Ages. Probably with mid to low grade books only. If you have books that graded in the old holder, chances are you get grade bump with resubmit, old label books are all graded stricter than the current books. CGC has membership that gives 10% - 15% off on grading fee, see their main website for more info.

There is a Section that dedicated to help collectors getting grade on their books, you can post pictures of your book and ask for their opinions, and large scans are preferred. Hope this help!

In addition, resubmit directly to CGC could eliminate mishandlings and delay from dealer. Just remember, CGC doesn't crack out book for you if you mail it to their office (correct me if I am wrong). If you resubmit at show that has CGC present, all of them will help you to crack out the case.

In addition, resubmit directly to CGC could eliminate mishandlings and delay from dealer. Just remember, CGC doesn't crack out book for you if you mail it to their office (correct me if I am wrong). If you resubmit at show that has CGC present, all of them will help you to crack out the case.

CGC will crack out books sent to them as well as those submitted at shows.

CGC will crack out books sent to them as well as those submitted at shows.

Indeed, they will crack it out for you. For liability reasons, they are now suggesting you submit it in the slab and they will crack it out. If you are planning any resubs, don't crack them out.