• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albedo #1 & #2 Club
5 5

439 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2018 at 10:45 AM, Crimebuster said:

So... I've been wanting one of these for quite a while, but until this year I didn't have the money for it. I have a complete run of Usagi Yojimbo, all three series, just working now on tracking down his earlier appearances in Albedo and Critters. 

Now that I have the money for a #2, though, I suddenly don't have the money for a #2!

:tonofbricks:

#metoo :|

I have always liked Usagi (since the 80s).  I read it every summer with my son.  Was finally going to get a copy of Albedo 2 this year.  Now, prices have shot up.

:tonofbricks:

Found my one and only Albedo #2 for 75 cents at House of Secrets in Burbank in 2007 or so. Got it slabbed, came back a 9.0. Sold it for $1000 or so. It almost makes up for all the shenanigans they pulled.

Nah, it doesn't even come close.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

There's a 9.6 White cover Albedo #0 on eBay currently.  Nice book, but the owner hasn't wanted to concede that it's not the rarer Yellow version of the cover.   The one he is offering is the regular White edition 1st printing that had a print run of 450 copies.   The Yellow version has Yellow in the eyes and on the table.  I've posted here what I sent him to clarify the matter.  The rarer version (which you hardly ever see) is on the left.  

Frankly, I wish CGC did a little more work and denoted each version separately.  They've been notorious for slabbing 2nd printings as 1st printings and I've only ever see CGC say that there are 3 versions of the 1st printing and then they leave it up to buyer/owner to figure out which one they own.  

Albedo0_Comparison.jpg

Albedo0_Inside.jpg

3 hours ago, comiconxion said:

There's a 9.6 White cover Albedo #0 on eBay currently.  Nice book, but the owner hasn't wanted to concede that it's not the rarer Yellow version of the cover.   The one he is offering is the regular White edition 1st printing that had a print run of 450 copies.   The Yellow version has Yellow in the eyes and on the table.  I've posted here what I sent him to clarify the matter.  The rarer version (which you hardly ever see) is on the left.  

Frankly, I wish CGC did a little more work and denoted each version separately.  They've been notorious for slabbing 2nd printings as 1st printings and I've only ever see CGC say that there are 3 versions of the 1st printing and then they leave it up to buyer/owner to figure out which one they own.  

Albedo0_Comparison.jpg

Albedo0_Inside.jpg

Yes Albedo 0 Yellow (50 copies est) is the grail of all grails for me. No other book comes even close to it. I would take that over a TMNT 1.

There I said it

Edited by Aweandlorder

On 4/7/2018 at 10:45 AM, Crimebuster said:

Yesterday, another copy was put up for sale. I'm guessing the high prices are convincing people to let go of their copies. This newest one is a CGC 7.0, and in one day it's already up to over $1200, with 5 days left. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Albedo-2-first-appearance-of-Usagi-Yojimbo-CGC-7-0/232723927937?hash=item362f6d5381:g:9coAAOSwAKlaxo9t

Damn!  I was working and just missed the close of this auction.  I probably would have drove the price up a little.

*sigh*

I am also surprised in the Albedo 0 white cover (non-yellow) CGC 9.6 auction from the same seller that went for $787.77. No Usagi in issue 0. Also wondering if the buyer understood that this is not the yellow cover. Seller did add a note saying it was not the yellow cover.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Yes Albedo 0 Yellow (50 copies est) is the grail of all grails for me. No other book comes even close to it. I would take that over a TMNT 1.

There I said it

:whatthe:     Actually, can't blame you. If a Yellow came up, it would be a coup for anyone's collection.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, Legion HQ said:

:whatthe:     Actually, can't blame you. If a Yellow came up, it would be a coup for anyone's collection.

In over 30 years, I've only ever heard of 3 copies existing... the one I have, one that was offered to me for $600 back in 1987 (which was a lot of money) and one owned by another collector.  I think part of the reason they never surface nowadays is that there hasn't ever been a public sale of one so no one knows what one should go for.  And, because there's no Usagi in it, most people would say that no one cares.  But, remember, back in the 80's this book was the one of the hottest books rumored to exist - up there with Gobbledygook #1 & 2, which also only had 50 copies published.   What's the consensus... should it go for more or less than an Albedo #2?  Gobbledygook #1? 

Besides the yellow #0 I got on a MCS auction a few years ago, I have never seen one on sale. And only 2 or 3 owned by other boardies. If a white #0 9.6 went for $787, then I would think it is worth more than a #2. Still wonder if that buyer realized it was not a yellow #0

This article makes me smile and want to meet Stan even more. It’s always nice when great creators, writers, artists, and legends are honored by their peers. He really has done some great work. There’s no one like Usagi!! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/usagi-yojimbo-creator-wins-first-joe-kubert-storyteller-award-1113238